Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If you give Howard 50 and give Cohen some in the slot you are still going to need a #3 WR that can handle some volume.

That is assuming that everyone stays healthy.

If Gabriel gets hurt then you need to find someone to handle 6 targets a game in addition.

You say this stuff as though no football team has ever had to deal with injuries at any point and that every team should have starter quality players at depth roster spots at every key position. Be more realistic than that. This whole conversation started with the exodus of a guy who was undrafted and only got a shot at significant snaps at all because he was given an opportunity after proven guys got hurt and ran with it. If one of our starters this year gets hurt then someone else will get a similar opportunity, whether that’s Cohen as more of a WR, a rookie draft pick or whoever else. The success stories that come out of those situations are a significant portion of the foundation of perennial contenders. Look at NE - Brady, a bunch of no-name WR made good, a bunch of afterthought RBs, Tedy Bruschi, Troy Brown, etc. etc. Everyone wants more sure things but that’s just not reality in the NFL, and the sooner you can make peace with that the less you’ll drive yourself crazy worrying about the worst case scenarios all the time. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

You say this stuff as though no football team has ever had to deal with injuries at any point and that every team should have starter quality players at depth roster spots at every key position. Be more realistic than that. This whole conversation started with the exodus of a guy who was undrafted and only got a shot at significant snaps at all because he was given an opportunity after proven guys got hurt and ran with it. If one of our starters this year gets hurt then someone else will get a similar opportunity, whether that’s Cohen as more of a WR, a rookie draft pick or whoever else. The success stories that come out of those situations are a significant portion of the foundation of perennial contenders. Look at NE - Brady, a bunch of no-name WR made good, a bunch of afterthought RBs, Tedy Bruschi, Troy Brown, etc. etc. Everyone wants more sure things but that’s just not reality in the NFL, and the sooner you can make peace with that the less you’ll drive yourself crazy worrying about the worst case scenarios all the time. 

I do not think they need a starting calibre player as a backup. I haven't said that they need a starting calibre player.

They need someone not named Bellamy or White that can come in and be relied on to be targeted 55 times.

I think that will require a veteran like Inman or a draft pick of a high enough level that it can be expected. I do not think that they cannot fill the role, but I was hoping to invest the premium draft resources on the OL and defense.

AZ

Sometimes guys step up like Meredith and stop the bleeding.

Other times McBride, Gentry and Bellamy are bad and make your QB look worse than he should.

Having quality depth is not unrealistic. Whether that comes from the draft [2nd-4th] or from free agency [might be a little late]. Not star players, but players that at least belong at the NFL level.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Windy... of those 55 targets you keep citing, can you tell me how many receptions that generated? Something in the mid-30s?

32 receptions.

So you essentially need someone who can handle that volume. I would think that a 4th round pick should be able to handle that. I would be worried if a 4th round pick needed an expanded role because of health.

I think if you want to spend a 4th round pick than Inman should be re-signed as a vet who can step in for Robinson if needed.

I think it is reasonable for a 2nd round WR to be targeted 55+ times and to fill in as a starter for short stints if there is an injury.

A 4th round pick I think should be able to handle 50 targets, but I would worry about more exposure.

6 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Tanner

Gentry

Problem solved. Quit bitching.

As I said. There is no one on the team outside of Robinson and Gabriel I trust to handle any volume of targets.

Gentry might be worse than Bellamy, at least Bellamy can get open.

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

32 receptions.

So you essentially need someone who can handle that volume. I would think that a 4th round pick should be able to handle that. I would be worried if a 4th round pick needed an expanded role because of health.

I think if you want to spend a 4th round pick than Inman should be re-signed as a vet who can step in for Robinson if needed.

But you wouldn't be worried instead if a one year producer coming of an ACL/MCL tear be relied upon for an expanded role because of health?

I feel like a bit of an ******* here, but we're freaking out about how we can distribute 32 receptions with the assumption that Kevin White can't do it and one of Allen Robinson or Taylor Gabirle gets hurt?

16 to Shaheen

10 to Burton

6 to Howard

Done.

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

But you wouldn't be worried instead if a one year producer coming of an ACL/MCL tear be relied upon for an expanded role because of health?

It would be a reduced role for Meredith.

No I would not have relied on him alone, I would have paired him with a draft pick. 

I am saying that you cannot rely on a 0 year producer with 3 IR trips in 3 years.

Archived