RD1 pick you don't want

beardown3231

I agree with choice, but don't agree that he is not a great athlete.  If protected and free to run could be an all pro player.

Not sure Bears could protect him.  

Oklahoma gave blueprint on how to attack Smith  IZ to weakside  

The “Roquon Smith is undersized and that hurts his draft stock” argument is one of the stupidest things I’ve heard this draft season. He’s built like a modern NFL linebacker, which emphasizes speed to the ball and the ability to run with RBs and TEs over the staying clean in the gaps versus the run. It’s also the reason why teams are converting strong safety types to linebacker.

6’1” / 236 is totally fine for a linebacker with plus coverage skills.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

The “Roquon Smith is undersized and that hurts his draft stock” argument is one of the stupidest things I’ve heard this draft season. He’s built like a modern NFL linebacker, which emphasizes speed to the ball and the ability to run with RBs and TEs over the staying clean in the gaps versus the run. It’s also the reason why teams are converting strong safety types to linebacker.

6’1” / 236 is totally fine for a linebacker with plus coverage skills.

He doesn’t play big. He is a run around blocks guy, which is fine. But in a 3-4 you need to protect him and let him run.

If OGs are getting to the 2nd level then you have a problem.

On 4/7/2018 at 4:10 PM, Epyon said:

Davenport-OLB: a 4-3 End trying to play 3-4 OLB with no hint of edge bend?

I was going to let this go but you said it twice... "no hint of edge bend" is inaccurate, man.

Apparently Denzel Ward is the hottest player in the draft and a bunch of teams in the top 10 are eyeing him.

That could be a surprise at 8 because I think there is a decent chance he is there.

How would you finish the draft if 

1[8] CB Denzel Ward [Ohio St] 5'11" 183lbs, 4.32 [40], 16 reps, 39" vert, 11'4" broad

denzel-ward-5aa5ad742fcf36ce.jpg

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Apparently Denzel Ward is the hottest player in the draft and a bunch of teams in the top 10 are eyeing him.

That could be a surprise at 8 because I think there is a decent chance he is there.

1[8] CB Denzel Ward [Ohio St] 5'11" 183lbs, 4.32 [40], 16 reps, 39" vert, 11'4" broad

http://www.redskins.com/assets/images/imported/WAS/centerpieces/2018-Centerpieces/Draft-Combine/denzel-ward-ohio-state-660-350.jpg[/img]

I have a hard time seeing a top 10 pick on a guy who plays 60% of the snaps. Minkah and James make more sense to me tbh. 

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I have a hard time seeing a top 10 pick on a guy who plays 60% of the snaps. Minkah and James make more sense to me tbh. 

I think Prince would probably be the guy who comes off in base.

I am not sure they are going to want to move Amos to the bench.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

denzel-ward-5aa5ad742fcf36ce.jpg

He's really sticky, I just wish he was taller/longer, but his athleticism/footwork/quickness make him a damned good cover corner. I'd have to play him outside and think about playing Fuller at nickel.

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

i'm surprised Joshua Jackson isn't rated higher than Denzel Ward. I guess I have never seen much of his tape but JJ has some big play ability that is hard to deny.

I'm still higher on Jackson than Ward, and height has nothing to do with it.  Ward is an elite athlete, but I love the playmaking ability Jackson brings to the table.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If you’re pigeonholing Ward as a NCB you couldn’t be more off AZ. It’s flat out lazy to say solely because of his height that he’s a Nickel only. Ward will be the first DB off the board and it will be in the top 10. He very likely will be the BPA at 8, like I’ve said for a month now. He has a higher upside than Lattimore and would turn this secondary from solid to elite.

Just looking at the guys Pace has brought in for visits -- not saying it's the end-all-be-all list of players that interest him -- but I will be surprised if we don't take a defensive back or Quenton Nelson.

Fuller is technically a 1.5 year wonder, Amukamara played 16 games in his career once, and our current CB3 is LeBlanc. 

4 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

If you’re pigeonholing Ward as a NCB you couldn’t be more off AZ. It’s flat out lazy to say solely because of his height that he’s a Nickel only. Ward will be the first DB off the board and it will be in the top 10. He very likely will be the BPA at 8, like I’ve said for a month now. He has a higher upside than Lattimore and would turn this secondary from solid to elite.

Not pigeon holing him as a nickel only - just see two guys on brand new big multi-year contracts making a combined $23M per already set to start at his position and seeing it unlikely either of them gets only nickel reps. 

Archived