My ideal draft (fortuitous slidings)

Magnus-Viktor

I agree it would be nice if Hubbard had more quick twitch.  I think part of his issue is he's too disciplined and thinks rather than reacts.  I'd also slim him down 15 lbs, which would logically result in increased quickness as well.  He already has good agility and explosion numbers even at 270.  

I should've said an early 3 and 4 (Giants making the move to a 34 need an OLB for example).  But yeah, I think it is possible that Dupree would have some trade value due to his age and athleticism.  Probably not a 2 and 3 though.  

The interesting part about Ragnow is he had a season ending ankle injury so didn't participate in the combine.  At his pro day he pretty much blew it up.  4.97 or so in the 40, 27 reps (he usually gets 36 so was disappointed), etc.  He said he thought he could play OT even, which he does have the size for.  The 3 current starters on the interior for the Steelers are all around 6'5", so he'd fit the bill there as well.  

I just did this through the draft simulator at www.firstpick.com

Round 1:  Hubbard, Sam, OLB, OSU

ROUND2: Jewell, Josey, ILB, IOWA

ROUND 4 (from Chicago):  Rudolph, Mason, QB, OK ST.

ROUND 4: (from Chicago): Hines, Nyheim, RB, NC ST.

ROUND 5: McFadden, Tarvarus, CB, FSU

ROUND 5: Jones, Justin, DL, NC ST.

Round 6 (from Chicago): Hearn, Taylor, OG, CLEMSON 

Round 7: Tate, Auden, WR, FSU

ROUND 7: Jamerson, Natrell, FS, WISCONSIN 

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

He had better combine numbers than Orlando Brown :D

I see it is more likely that the Steelers take Harrison Phillips than any offensive lineman or receiver at 1.28.

Im not fascinated with Phillips, to the point that I got kind of bored watching from my recollection. I've only done two games on him Washington & USC, admittedly I should do a minimum of 3 up to 6, however, you can generally tell when somebody deserves more attention right away. Just not that excited about him like it seems much of the hype he received. 

5 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Im not fascinated with Phillips, to the point that I got kind of bored watching from my recollection. I've only done two games on him Washington & USC, admittedly I should do a minimum of 3 up to 6, however, you can generally tell when somebody deserves more attention right away. Just not that excited about him like it seems much of the hype he received. 

Just saying that he will be higher on their list than Wynn or just about any other Olineman.

And after Vea, Phillips is the best run stuffer in the draft.  Wins with technique and hands and a solid motor.

On 4/8/2018 at 2:45 PM, AlanFanecaFan said:

Since were getting a 2 and 3 for Dupree, I want Kate Beckinsale from Underworld in that black leather outfit on my bed saying “Im yours”

No way either of those things are going to happen.

Kate was pretty hot in Pearl Harbor as well. :)

On 4/8/2018 at 2:27 PM, Magnus-Viktor said:

1.  Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State - I want a long, athletic ILB that has range.  After Shazier went down, our ILBs could cover a 3 foot square section of the field and that's all.  He needs coaching, but you can't teach that size and speed.  

I could live with LVE. Hoping that he is not all hype.

2.  Sam Hubbard, OLB, Ohio State - I don't think he falls this far, but I saw an "expert" mock by Chad Reuters on NFL.com just now that had him going at pick 65, so I figured what the heck.  Hubbard is probably my favorite player in the draft.  TJ Watt 2.0, and at this point in the draft there would be virtually no 34 OLBs worth taking still available, so I'd instantly trade Dupree to a team that missed out on the position if I was able to land Hubbard here.  

I have seen some mocks with him being our #1. I too doubt he falls this far.

*Trade Dupree for a late 2 & 3 (2b & 3b)*

I hate the trade. Not because of the picks we get, but we haven't gotten stronger at OLB.  Bud has his flaws, but I think he plays more like he did late in the 2017 season and play-offs than he did most of last season.

2b.  Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado - After trading Gay, and having absolutely no proven depth at CB, along with an unproven Burns and an injury prone Haden, along with a nickel-only Hilton, CB is a glaring need.  Oliver has extremely long arms and ideal size, along with quality athleticism and just looks like a smooth cover guy to me.  

3a.  Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame - I don't trust Bryant to produce or keep his mouth shut or stay out of trouble.  None of the above.  If I can get a WR like St. Brown in 3, I'd immediately turn around and trade Bryant to a team who missed out on the last of the big/fast WRs in the draft and needs one.  I think St. Brown is going to be a MUCH better pro than he was in college due to pure trash at QB at Notre Dame.  

*Trade Martavis Bryant for a late 3 (3c)*

I don't see any rookie in this class coming in and giving us what we can and should get from Bryant. Keep the one year pass with Bryant and enjoy the one year ride.

3b.  Jessie Bates III, FS, Wake Forest - Great cover guy but poor tackler.  6'1" 200 lbs, 4.50 speed.  Solid.  

He is on my radar with safeties. I like Kyzir White better right now.

3c.  Frank Ragnow, C/G, Arkansas - Gotta keep the OL a strength of the team.  

I think we need help at C, but probably not this high. I get it with the trade scenario you had though.

5.  Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn - Reuters also had him going in 5.  I think he looks like a pretty solid RB and a potential replacement for Bell in '19.  

Okay...

5.  Zach Sieler, DE, Ferris State - A developmental small school prospect.  

7.  Dylan Cantrell, WR, Texas Tech - After running a 4.47 and 4.50 at his pro day, to go along with his elite results from the combine in literally every other aspect, I think he'll be a riser.  I think he's the #4 WR on the roster from day 1, with Hunter being a non-factor on a 1 year deal and DHB being a STer only.  The rest of the roster is made up of a bunch of PS types.  Depth at WR on the Steelers sucks after Brown and JuJu, if you don't count totally unreliable Bryant.  

I don't see a 7th round rookie WR helping the depth of our squad. I wish they had kept D. Ayers. They resigned Hunter and I wouldn't be shocked to see him in 2018.

7.  Greg Stroman, CB/KR, Virginia Tech - Very thin but looks like he can play anyway, and could potentially contribute both on STs and on D.  Need to get a decent return man in there and keep Brown off STs completely.  11 PRs last year is 11 too many.

I have mocked this guy on some of my own mocks as well. He give special teams coverage, punt returns and is an under-rated CB.

Rudimentary Depth Chart:

QB:  Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones, Joshua Dobbs
RB:  Le'Veon Bell, James Conner, Kerryon Johnson (5)
FB:  Roosevelt Nix
WR:  Antonio Brown, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Equanimeous St. Brown (3), Dylan Cantrell (7), Justin Hunter, Darrius Heyward-Bey
TE:  Vance McDonald, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble, Jake McGee
LT:  Alejandro Villanueva, Jerald Hawkins
LG:  Ramon Foster, Frank Ragnow (3)
C: Maurkice Pouncey, BJ Finney
RG:  David DeCastro, 
RT:  Marcus Gilbert, Matt Feiler

DE:  Cameron Heyward, Zach Sieler (5)
DT:  Javon Hargrave, Daniel McCullers
DE:  Stephon Tuitt, Tyson Alualu
OLB:  TJ Watt, Keion Adams
ILB:  Leighton Vander Esch (1), Tyler Matakevich
ILB:  LJ Fort, Vince Williams, Jon Bostic
OLB:  Sam Hubbard (2), Anthony Chickillo
CB:  Joe Haden,
Isaiah Oliver (3), Coty Sensabaugh
FS:  Jessie Bates III (3), JJ Wilcox, Jordan Dangerfield
SS:  Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett
CB:  Artie Burns, Brian Allen
Nickel:  Mike Hilton, Cameron Sutton, Greg Stroman (7)

K:  Chris Boswell
P:  Jordan Berry or FA

KR/PR:  Greg Stroman (7)

I am not in favor of the trades because we didn't get players to replace what we lost now.  None of the picks would be better than Bryant or Bud in 2018. We are in a win now mode, so pick some players for the future and keep the talent we have now. Both players help the Steelers and make them better in 2018.

7 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I am not in favor of the trades because we didn't get players to replace what we lost now.  None of the picks would be better than Bryant or Bud in 2018. We are in a win now mode, so pick some players for the future and keep the talent we have now. Both players help the Steelers and make them better in 2018.

I think that Hubbard is better than Dupree day 1.  But I'm a big fan of Hubbard.  I really do think he's TJ Watt 2.0.  I've said that for quite some time.  It's just how I forecast him in a 34 and everything.  Nearly identical skillset and athleticism (if Hubbard lost 15 lbs).  

Bryant might get suspended, be a distraction demanding trades, or whatever.  I think that St. Brown > Bryant in year 1 as a result.  He's taller with better hands as well.  QB really held him back.  

As for Ragnow, I would be drafting him as Foster's replacement at LG more than at C.  Potential replacement for Pouncey as well given his injury history.  If I was looking at him as a C only, then yes I'd agree, it wouldn't be the best pick.  

Kyzir White?  I have never watched him play, but the write-up on him on nfl.com doesn't sound like my cup of tea.  To paraphrase:  slow, limited in coverage, but a big hitter.  The polar opposite of what I want out of a safety in today's NFL.  I do like the size though.  Why do you like him?  

What was with the "OK....." on Kerryon Johnson?  Getting him in 5 you aren't buying?  I don't buy it either, but it happens.  

Thanks

9 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I think that Hubbard is better than Dupree day 1.  But I'm a big fan of Hubbard.  I really do think he's TJ Watt 2.0.  I've said that for quite some time.  It's just how I forecast him in a 34 and everything.  Nearly identical skillset and athleticism (if Hubbard lost 15 lbs).  

I may buy that he has more pass rushing upside than Bud and will develop quicker in that area. However, I am not so sure that he walks into the door and is a better overall OLB day one.  I believe that he will take a year or so to get comfortable and convert from DL to OLB. We do a lot of dropping in coverage and play the run from the Nickel as well. Bud is probably more athletic and has struggled for various reasons to make the conversion and impact of a #1. I think TJ Watt will be light years better this year than last as he is going to be more comfortable with the defensive scheme and speed of the NFL game. I certainly am not arguing against having Hubbard as a Steeler, just not expecting him to replace Dupree year one.

Bryant might get suspended, be a distraction demanding trades, or whatever.  I think that St. Brown > Bryant in year 1 as a result.  He's taller with better hands as well.  QB really held him back.  

I think the first part is speculation. That is like predicting who will get hurt.  Bryant also shut his mouth and balled out at the end of the year. Unless we got as the Godfather would say, "An offer we can't refuse!" I would not try to get rid of him. Again, there are not many 6'4 228 lb WR's who run sub 4.3 forties and are familiar with our system and have the timing with Big Ben down. That was Bryant's problem early as his timing was just slightly off with Ben. He was discouraged because of the lack of results.  I blame part of that on the league for not allowing him to practice much of the pre-season. As the year went on, Bryant made more of an impact. I am not going to argue that he would be a player to consider as a replacement for Bryant, but  don't think he is better or more productive than Bryant day one. Next year, he may be a nice replacement, when Bryant walks for a bigger payday and chance at being a #1. AB, Bryant and Ju Ju look pretty darn good as the starting trio.

As for Ragnow, I would be drafting him as Foster's replacement at LG more than at C.  Potential replacement for Pouncey as well given his injury history.  If I was looking at him as a C only, then yes I'd agree, it wouldn't be the best pick.  

Good point and I agree.

Kyzir White?  I have never watched him play, but the write-up on him on nfl.com doesn't sound like my cup of tea.  To paraphrase:  slow, limited in coverage, but a big hitter.  The polar opposite of what I want out of a safety in today's NFL.  I do like the size though.  Why do you like him?  

I have watched a decent amount of WVU football and looked at some tape on him. I think he plays like a prototypical SS.  He is a solid tackler, he does not have the prettiest footwork, but that is why he is a safety.  I believe that he has better coverage and range than he is given credit for. When I look at prospects, I try to see how they will translate to the next level.  He reminds me ironically of Morgan Burnett. He is versatile and can play in the box or back. He is not anywhere near a natural athlete of even Sean Davis, but he is more instinctive and natural. With NFL coaching, he can be even better.  Day one, he comes in as a better pure tackler than both Mitchell and Davis, so he helps in the Nickel or in the box.  He is not a day one starter however, but a good situation player who can contribute. I am definitely not ready to anoint him as the coverage guru yet, but he has potential.

What was with the "OK....." on Kerryon Johnson?  Getting him in 5 you aren't buying?  I don't buy it either, but it happens.  

Thanks

The okay was just that I am more unsure where we will be with the RB position.  Whether Bell signs or not is one consideration, then we have Ridley and Connor coming back.  We seem set at RB for this year.  Do you see Johnson as a possible replacement or replacement part for Bell? Ridley is probably a one year option, Connor is a component that could replace some carries in situations, but not a feature back at this point.

2 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I may buy that he has more pass rushing upside than Bud and will develop quicker in that area. However, I am not so sure that he walks into the door and is a better overall OLB day one.  I believe that he will take a year or so to get comfortable and convert from DL to OLB. We do a lot of dropping in coverage and play the run from the Nickel as well. Bud is probably more athletic and has struggled for various reasons to make the conversion and impact of a #1. I think TJ Watt will be light years better this year than last as he is going to be more comfortable with the defensive scheme and speed of the NFL game. I certainly am not arguing against having Hubbard as a Steeler, just not expecting him to replace Dupree year one.

And this is why I just chuckle to myself when people think we could upgrade over Dupree from the draft.  We could get a better pure rusher, but not an overall better OLB for our system.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

And this is why I just chuckle to myself when people think we could upgrade over Dupree from the draft.  We could get a better pure rusher, but not an overall better OLB for our system.

I know what you're saying. However if I'm not mistaken, you are critical of UGA's Carter. What Carter is known for is setting the Edge, covering TEs/RBs and having some Pass Rush ability. Isn't that what is asked of Dupree? I'd say Dupree is fairly average at all those skillsets (thus far). You don't think Carter would be an improvement over Dupree in those areas? Or just not a big enough improvement to warrant a 1st/2nd Rd pick?  

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

A healthy Kemoko Turay could very likely a better all around linebacker than Bud. 

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

I know what you're saying. However if I'm not mistaken, you are critical of UGA's Carter. What Carter is known for is setting the Edge, covering TEs/RBs and having some Pass Rush ability. Isn't that what is asked of Dupree? I'd say Dupree is fairly average at all those skillsets (thus far). You don't think Carter would be an improvement over Dupree in those areas? Or just not a big enough improvement to warrant a 1st/2nd Rd pick?  

Not big enough in year 1 to where we would be able to trade Dupree.

Archived