Dez Bryant Released

WizardHawk

49 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Was not about the money:

"In an interview with Jane Slater of NFL Network, Bryant – released by the Cowboys on Friday after eight seasons in Dallas – says joining another NFC East team is a “huge possibility.”

“That’s something that I want,” he said. “It’s personal.”

People in the building did not like Dez. I know it wasn't Jerry. I'm going with JG, and SL were fed up. And apparently some players to. Witten... Dak?

I don’t care if he was liked or not. His production didn’t meet his salary. Granted, a lot of that has to do with Dak’s inability to get him the ball (because, as I’ve said before, Dak isn’t an NFL caliber QB), but Dez is culpable, too. He’s never run routes well, and has never gotten separation from defenders. So when you compound that with multiple years of injuries and a mediocre QB, you have a guy who gets cut. Move on.

Further, don’t sell us on the “he leads the team in TOUCHDOWNS!!1!1!!111!!!!!” nonsense. Clinging to past and/or legacy accomplishments is one of the primary reasons why this team never evolves or improves and remains mediocre. We reward players for past accomplishments and hold onto them far beyond their current value.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; I’d rather dump a player a year early than 2 years late.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 2

I think this was dumb. I dont like losing Dez at all, but especially not this year... but more than anything, i think it is OBJECTIVELY DUMB & WRONG, the way we did this.

With that said, this is how I am tryingto make semse of it all:

LEADERSHIP: I think you need the QB to lead an Offense... I think it is a difficult situation when there is an "All-Pro Star" reciever established on a team and then tg here are growing pains with a young QB.

This was/is an attempt to "artificially" supplant Dez's natural leadership earned in the locker room. Now, Dak is the clear voice in the passing game (Witten isn't a focal point of the pass game anymore). 

COMPATABILITY: Kinda rolling off of the leadership thing... Dez is a true #1 with elite ability at certain things. Dak is not capable of utilizing many of Dez's strengths, and Dez doesn't have the time left to wait for Dak to improve in that area.

So, the leadership stuff becomes more of an issue, too. Because, both sides are right... Dez should be mad that he isn't properly utilized, and that the QB's skill set is hampering his production and importance in the offense. And Dak should be mad that he feels the need and pressure to do what Romo did with Dez, and be so.eone he is not (at least not yet). Teammates, I imagine, would likely see Dak as the deficiency because of all of this, which goes back to the leadership stuff.

DRAMA: Based on Dez's recent comments on twitter and in the interview, I think Dak would tell JG and Linehan whenever Dez pressured or bothered him in the huddle and/or in practice. IMO, this move os all about protecting Dak, both scheme and style of play, and the intangible stuff i mentioned above.

CONCLUSION: Im guessing we will be more run oriented and not have a true #1 WR. Instead relying on quick, read-run option,  passing game.

I hope this run option stuffmakes up for what we lose in the red-zone passing game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I don’t care if he was liked or not. His production didn’t meet his salary. Granted, a lot of that has to do with Dak’s inability to get him the ball (because, as I’ve said before, Dak isn’t an NFL caliber QB), but Dez is culpable, too. He’s never run routes well, and has never gotten separation from defenders. So when you compound that with multiple years of injuries and a mediocre QB, you have a guy who gets cut. Move on.

Further, don’t sell us on the “he leads the team in TOUCHDOWNS!!1!1!!111!!!!!” nonsense. Clinging to past and/or legacy accomplishments is one of the primary reasons why this team never evolves or improves and remains mediocre. We reward players for past accomplishments and hold onto them far beyond their current value.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; I’d rather dump a player a year early than 2 years late.

I'm not rewarding him ala giving Romo a new contract at 32 or MBIII that ridiculous deal. I'm not talking about rewarding him at all. You realize a pay cut wasn't even offered right?

I could be wrong but I don't think you were ever a real big Dez fan. All I hear is you admitting we got rid of him a year early. Which yes, I guess is better than signing him to a new deal and realeasing him to late.

Edited by DaBoys

5 minutes ago, J Shank said:

I think this was dumb. I dont like losing Dez at all, but especially not this year... but more than anything, i think it is OBJECTIVELY DUMB & WRONG, the way we did this.

With that said, this is how I am tryingto make semse of it all:

LEADERSHIP: I think you need the QB to lead an Offense... I think it is a difficult situation when there is an "All-Pro Star" reciever established on a team and then tg here are growing pains with a young QB.

This was/is an attempt to "artificially" supplant Dez's natural leadership earned in the locker room. Now, Dak is the clear voice in the passing game (Witten isn't a focal point of the pass game anymore). 

COMPATABILITY: Kinda rolling off of the leadership thing... Dez is a true #1 with elite ability at certain things. Dak is not capable of utilizing many of Dez's strengths, and Dez doesn't have the time left to wait for Dak to improve in that area.

So, the leadership stuff becomes more of an issue, too. Because, both sides are right... Dez should be mad that he isn't properly utilized, and that the QB's skill set is hampering his production and importance in the offense. And Dak should be mad that he feels the need and pressure to do what Romo did with Dez, and be so.eone he is not (at least not yet). Teammates, I imagine, would likely see Dak as the deficiency because of all of this, which goes back to the leadership stuff.

DRAMA: Based on Dez's recent comments on twitter and in the interview, I think Dak would tell JG and Linehan whenever Dez pressured or bothered him in the huddle and/or in practice. IMO, this move os all about protecting Dak, both scheme and style of play, and the intangible stuff i mentioned above.

CONCLUSION: Im guessing we will be more run oriented and not have a true #1 WR. Instead relying on quick, read-run option,  passing game.

I hope this run option stuffmakes up for what we lose in the red-zone passing game.

You get it.

4 hours ago, eagles suck said:

I should have found some way to channel his frustrations, but you can't tell me he wasn't as passionate about winning as a team.

There's a big difference  between passion and frustration and if you watched Dez on the sidelines with all his antics in everyone's face when he doesn't receive enough targets that's frustration. Passion is going out to practice and games busting your behind to do everything it takes to win and not showing up your fellow TEAM mates  and performing at a level that you do deserve that big contract. When playing sports you need to learn and channel those frustrations so other teams , media and your own fellow cohorts don't get turned off by your selfish escalades. I know that everybody reacts to things in a different manner but if he would have learned to do it in a different way the Cowboy's coaches probably would of kept him around at a lower contract but when your so called #1 star is a big distraction to the TEAM you have to go in a different direction.  

There is so much to say about how laughably ridiculous this move is, but I don't even know if it's worth it. Dez's detractors will always believe want they want to. The film paints the real picture here, but if people want to ignore real evidence and instead just base their opinions on zero actual evidence, then well.. there isn't really anything that can be done for you. 

It seems to be more and more clear that this move isn't ability related nor is it even money related. At this point, the team could have afforded to keep Dez on the team for this year. Not only that, he was open to taking a pay cut. He also could have been extended and his cap hit could have been spaced out. There were financial options, and yet those logical options were cast aside. When you couple that with the fact that even if the staff ridiculously thought that Dez was no longer capable of being a true number one receiving threat it still made no sense to release him given the fact that there is zero certain replacement for him on this team. If they didn't know that Dez was capable of being a true number one, why on Earth would they bank on other options that have even less assurance of filling that number one spot vacated by Dez? I'm excited about the addition of Allen Hurns, but if the team was worried about whether or not Dez was a capable number one because of declining production, then obviously that logic would extend unto Hurns as his production has been worse. As far as drafting a receiver goes, that's just another unknown, and it's rare that a rookie receiver can become a dangerous, reliable number one receiver right out of the gate. Cutting Dez clearly puts the team in a precarious position.

While keeping in mind that again, the Cowboys could have afforded to keep Dez this year, there isn't any logical sense in cutting him. Clearly there is something else going on here, and it's a shame that egos are probably what led to Dez being shown the door. 

Edited by NoFlyZone
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cowboysdreamer said:

There's a big difference  between passion and frustration and if you watched Dez on the sidelines with all his antics in everyone's face when he doesn't receive enough targets that's frustration. 

This rarely even ever happened, and he certainly didn't get in "everyone's face". I don't know why Cowboys fans of all people pretend otherwise when we actually watch all of the games. It was never even a big deal. 

Even in the Seahawks game last year where everyone made such a big deal, the guy barely even did anything to show his frustration. Seriously, what was the worst thing he did? Briefly sulk on the sideline a little? Come on.. the media made a wayyyy bigger deal about it than Dez was even making in that game.. because that's just what they do. Don't buy into that stuff.

Edited by NoFlyZone

15 minutes ago, cowboysdreamer said:

There's a big difference  between passion and frustration and if you watched Dez on the sidelines with all his antics in everyone's face when he doesn't receive enough targets that's frustration. Passion is going out to practice and games busting your behind to do everything it takes to win and not showing up your fellow TEAM mates  and performing at a level that you do deserve that big contract. When playing sports you need to learn and channel those frustrations so other teams , media and your own fellow cohorts don't get turned off by your selfish escalades. I know that everybody reacts to things in a different manner but if he would have learned to do it in a different way the Cowboy's coaches probably would of kept him around at a lower contract but when your so called #1 star is a big distraction to the TEAM you have to go in a different direction.  

I agree with you mostly. As a caveat, I'll say that WRs are a different breed.  All the best WRs do that. As a former WR, for whatever that's worth, it's my favorite position. Getting the QBs attention is PART OF THE CRAFT. It sounds stupid but it's true. The WRs are usually the "divas" even the untouchable AB had a breakdown last year. OBJ punched a net, TO needs no examples, Randy Moss was always in the news for this or that, Dez has his fits, Michael Irvin for God's sake, someone one of them said that to be a great WR you have to have that bravado(Keyshawn Johnson?). It's how you get looks. You have to understand that 90% of the game the #1 WR is literally being used AS A DISTRACTION. You may not get it but I do. Most great WRs have some shade of this in them. 

Edited by DaBoys

25 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I'm not rewarding him ala giving Romo a new contract at 32 or MBIII that ridiculous deal. I'm not talking about rewarding him at all. You realize a pay cut wasn't even offered right?

I could be wrong but I don't think you were ever a real big Dez fan. All I hear is you admitting we got rid of him a year early. Which yes, I guess is better than signing him to a new deal and realeasing him to late.

I found it bizarre that we didn’t attempt to get him to accept a pay cut. Then again, if I’m Dez, I’d refuse one, anyway. I never fault a guy for keeping his money. 

For your second point, I’ve always been neutral on Dez. I never viewed him as a distraction or a cancer. He’s a very emotional guy who is passionate about winning, but he never put in the time to become a truly elite player.