Top 28 QBs

Scout

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

272 is a meaningful sample size, still small yes, 35 means absolutely nothing.

1) I strongly disagree that 272 is meaningful.

2) My only point was that while people were ranking QB's most forgot about Mahomes. That is all. Nothing more.

14 hours ago, game3525 said:

What are you talking about?

Rivers is likely going to the HOF and he is 36 years old, he is passed the point of showing "potential". 

Rivers has no chance to go to the HoF!!!

He has always had the potential to be a top flight QB, but he absolutely insisted the then San Diego owner keep Norv Turner as his HC, now that he is free and has a solid HC, just maybe he can be the player he could have been!!! 

9 hours ago, Danger said:

I think this is the best way to look at this whole ranking ordeal. If you are picking Quarterbacks for your team in the 2018 season, what order do you take them in?

Roethlisberger

Rivers

Garoppolo

Smith

I'd be half tempted to take Garoppolo over Rivers, but ultimately, I'm rolling with the more proven guy in Rivers.

18 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Rivers has no chance to go to the HoF!!!

He has always had the potential to be a top flight QB, but he absolutely insisted the then San Diego owner keep Norv Turner as his HC, now that he is free and has a solid HC, just maybe he can be the player he could have been!!! 

Nah, Rivers is going into the HOF.

He is going to finish top 10 for every major statistical category for QBs (wins, yards, tds, QB rating, completion percentage) and on top of that he has been to the pro bowl 7 times, no QB with that many selections has not made the HOF. 

Rivers love for Norv Turner bears no meaning on his ability to play QB. You know who else loves Norv Turner? Troy Aikman. On top of that 3 of Rivers best season were under Norv (2008, 2009, and 2010).

32 minutes ago, game3525 said:

he has been to the pro bowl 7 times, no QB with that many selections has not made the HOF. 

...........And only once in history has 3 QB's from the same class walked away with a jacket and your are not going to tell me that Ben and Manning are not locks. Especially Ben. No way in hell. For Ben, it's not even argument. For Eli, his teams' two memorable "underdog" SB's wins against the "unstoppable force" led by Brady and by name association alone guarantees his bust. Even though I don't think that his play necessarily warrants it, personally, you can bet on it.

Not too mention that the last time 3 QB's from the same class went to the hall was from way back in 1949 with Brocklin, Finks and Blanda. And those guys were not playing and competeting in an era that featured; Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers and Ben as well......... 5 other future hall of famers.

Also, the pro-bowl hasn't meant anything for 10-12 years now(atleast) and even the "new voters" from a younger generation have started to realize what a joke it is now. I hate to be the old man here, but back in the day, the term "alternative" was mainly held for those players that were selected but were unable to compete for physical reasons and not because he just didn't want too or because his team was playing the SB the next week. Hell no. It was honor! It was an honor that also guaranteed them and their families a full paid trip to Hawaii. All of that is gone now.

I could go on and on about how messed up the HoF and PB selection is now but I'll stop it right there. The bottom line is, sorry, but Rivers is NOT a hall of Famer. 

29 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

...........And only once in history has 3 QB's from the same class walked away with a jacket and your are not going to tell me that Ben and Manning are not locks. Especially Ben. No way in hell. For Ben, it's not even argument. For Eli, his teams' two memorable "underdog" SB's wins against the "unstoppable force" led by Brady and by name association alone guarantees his bust. Even though I don't think that his play necessarily warrants it, personally, you can bet on it.

Not too mention that the last time 3 QB's from the same class went to the hall was from way back in 1949 with Brocklin, Finks and Blanda. And those guys were not playing and competeting in an era that featured; Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers and Ben as well......... 5 other future hall of famers.

Also, the pro-bowl hasn't meant anything for 10-12 years now(atleast) and even the "new voters" from a younger generation have started to realize what a joke it is now. I hate to be the old man here, but back in the day, the term "alternative" was mainly held for those players that were selected but were unable to compete for physical reasons and not because he just didn't want too or because his team was playing the SB the next week. Hell no. It was honor! It was an honor that also guaranteed them and their families a full paid trip to Hawaii. All of that is gone now.

I could go on and on about how messed up the HoF and PB selection is now but I'll stop it right there. The bottom line is, sorry, but Rivers is NOT a hall of Famer. 

Elway, Marino, and Kelly are all in the HOF from the 1983 class. 

Anyway, it is just not about the pro-bowls. It is about overall body of work. Rivers is going to be top ten in every major statistically category for a QB when he is finished and he has been highly regarded as one of the best QB's of his generation. He won't get in on the first ballot like Ben, but Rivers will eventually get in. 

It is also irrelevant that there have been 5 other HOF QBs playing in this era. 7 guys from the 90s got in.  

Yes, you're correct I forgot about Marino, Elway and Kelly. 

It is relevant that he is playing in the same era as 5 other locks. Nobody is going to remember a QB who was only largely considered a top-5 or 6 QB in his generation and was never the best at his position in any given year. 

The "top-10 statistically" is whole nother argument in itself being that he has played in the passing era which largely inflates those stats. Which again, bring me back to comparing him to his contemporaries. 

11 hours ago, game3525 said:

Nah, Rivers is going into the HOF.

He'd be in the hall of very good. He has a very outside shot of the Hall of Fame, but I seriously doubt he'll make it. As for the statistics, you have to consider the era he's playing in. Has he ever, or for a sustained period of time, been absolutely widely looked at as Elite, or even top 5? He's been consistently top 10, but he was never looked at on a pedestal. 

Also look at his very underwhelming post season statistics. He's been to the playoffs 5 times in his career, only 1 of those years has he looked good in the playoffs. (2013)

1 hour ago, Danger said:

He'd be in the hall of very good. He has a very outside shot of the Hall of Fame, but I seriously doubt he'll make it. As for the statistics, you have to consider the era he's playing in. Has he ever, or for a sustained period of time, been absolutely widely looked at as Elite, or even top 5? He's been consistently top 10, but he was never looked at on a pedestal. 

Also look at his very underwhelming post season statistics. He's been to the playoffs 5 times in his career, only 1 of those years has he looked good in the playoffs. (2013)

I can easily make the case Rivers was top five in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2013.  There is a strong argument that he should have won MVP over Peyton in 2008. As for post-season, Rivers best post-season wasn't 2013 at all, it was 2007. He just never got to finish the run because he tore his ACL. 

The only "knock" on Rivers is he doesn't have a championship, that is it. If the Chargers had won in 2006, even with Rivers just being a bus driver, there would be no debate about whether or not he is going into the HOF and that is just lazy thinking IMO. 

2018, before rookie camps and minicamps and training camp and pre-season when this years rookie class gets better:

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Matt Ryan

5. Carson Wentz

6. Russell Wilson

7. Matthew Stafford

8. Philip Rivers

9. Ben Roethlisberger

10. Eli Manning

11. Kirk Cousins

12. Andrew Luck

13. Jimmy Garoppolo

14. Alex Smith

15. Cam Newton

16. Deshaun Watson

17. Jared Goff

18. Dak Prescott

19. Derek Car

20. Marcus Mariota

21. Nick Foles

22. Case Keenum

23. Sam Bradford

24. Mitchell Trubisky

25. Tyrod Taylor

26. Joe Flacco

27. Jameis Winston

28. Patrick Mahommes

29. Jacoby Brissett

30. Ryan Tannehill

31. Andy Dalton

32. Blake Bortles

By the end of this season, Mahommes will be much better and rookies will be better than some of these guys.

Archived