Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

I’ll repeat Troy Brown is 21, he’s not done developing.

I remember a 3rd overall pick we had who couldn’t see the court as a rookie and 2nd year player bc his HC didn’t want to play him, we had signed a vet to play infront of him and he wasn’t ready to contribute.

In his 3rd season Otto Porter started was a good defender, good rebounder and scored 12 ppg, was 37% from 3 yet and he was a year older than TBJ at that point. In the next few years he increased his scoring and improved his shooting by a few percentages/points each year. 

Seems similar to me it’s similar progression except that Brown has a better handle, is a better playmaker and averaged an assist more per game.

Edited by turtle28

Any thought to drafting Precious Achiuwa?

I guess that depends on if we re-sign Bertans or not but having another true PF who could play C in small ball is a good thing too. NBA draft net lists him as a 7 out of 10 as far as NBA ready. He’s a good rebounder and defender.

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’d rather enjoy the Wall/Beal era until it ends some time in this next decade winning 45-50 games - when we go back to 82 games - and have those 2 retire as Wizards than to watch a half*** attempt at a rebuild like the football team has been doing for 20 years where they have Wall - an all star

Ooooo, I don't know how to tell you this but ...

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I consider the Wall/Beal era AS I SAID!! until we drafted BEAL!! Hello! That’s what I wrote!! 

Umm, the Wizards drafted Beal in 2012, two years after their drafted Wall. So the vast majority of Wall's career has been with Beal.

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So, being in that 45ish range is something I want to watch for the next 5 -10 years and maybe Rui or a future draft pick like this years develops into a 20 pt scorer too.

We’re stuck with Wall, and Beal is a better player than Wall was at his peak 3-5 years ago. W/o Wall last year and w/ our 3rd most expensive player burning a hole in the bench - Mahinmi - we still almost made the playoffs.

Last year as in the season that just ended? They ended up 6.5 games out of the playoffs even when given an (undeserved) opportunity to make the playoffs during the restart.

Or last year as in the 2018-19 season? They ended up 9 games out of the playoffs.

Just want to know where the bar is for "almost ma[king] the playoffs."

In 2018-19, the 8th seed was Detroit at 41-41 (0.500). Washington was 32-50 (0.390)
In 2019-20, the 8th seed was Orlando at 33-40 (0.452). Washington was 25-47 (0.347)

Maybe they should focus on getting to 0.450 basketball first?

@Woz You’d have to watch Beal as a young player, he wasn’t developed yet, he was inconsistent. Also, as a young guy he battled stress fractures in his shins and until that got better where he didn’t miss about 1/2 the year, the team didn’t really take off and compete.

We didn’t have Wall last year. Even Wall at 75% of the Wall from 2016 on last years team like in 2017 &18 gets us to .500 bball or slightly above IMO. 

So, we definitely know the Wizards need Bertans back, if they lose him it’s a big loss. If it’s north of $15 million though I don’t think they should.

As we all know, he’s awful on D which is one reason our D was so poor last year, you have a guy playing 30 min who’s a total liability.  One way to explain it is he makes a 3 but gives up a 2 on the other end. That’s a plus 1 in the point column but it’s not great. He shouldn’t be overpaid.

If they lose him, they need to sign another big who can shoot decently - maybe not as well as him but they need someone - and hopefully that player can play better D than Bertans & Wagner.

I also think there is something to be said for Wagner and his development. He’s waiting in the wings as a stretch 4 & 5 should they lose Bertans. Then, you add a defensive minded big & SF in FA w/ the money you didn’t give Bertans.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Contracts are basically identical. Wall is a couple years younger, Westbrook was the better player in their respective primes — both of which have clearly passed. Westbrook isn’t coming off multiple major injuries, so I think you’d have to value him more highly of the two. If it’s straight up, I guess you do it. Although I must say I don’t particularly care for Westbrook. 

That said, though, what assets are you really going to give up to go from Wall to Westbrook? You get to be likely marginally better, still almost certainly not remotely competitive, with a guy who isn’t *your* guy — and you get to give up one or more of your few useful assets to make it happen? Just don’t really see the point. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

Contracts are basically identical. Wall is a couple years younger, Westbrook was the better player in their respective primes — both of which have clearly passed. Westbrook isn’t coming off multiple major injuries, so I think you’d have to value him more highly of the two. If it’s straight up, I guess you do it. Although I must say I don’t particularly care for Westbrook. 

That said, though, what assets are you really going to give up to go from Wall to Westbrook? You get to be likely marginally better, still almost certainly not remotely competitive, with a guy who isn’t *your* guy — and you get to give up one or more of your few useful assets to make it happen? Just don’t really see the point. 

I was thinking you could see how the draft goes and what you get at #9. That might make guys like Brown, or Bryant, or Schofield, or Bonga etc available. 

Onyeka okongwu has a fractured toe that may keep him out of training camp and miss the first week or so of the season.

apparently teams interested in him are rushing to get all his medical reports.

this could be a good sign for Washington who has him at the top of their board. Could make a trade up cost less or could possibly have a chance at staying at 9 and having him slide down a bit to get him.

Cavs and Hawks are rumored to be teams that were interested and also the Celtics who have three 1st they could package to move up for him.

it will be interesting to say the least

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Onyeka okongwu has a fractured toe that may keep him out of training camp and miss the first week or so of the season.

this could be a good sign for Washington who has him at the top of their board. Could make a trade up cost less or could possibly have a chance at staying at 9 and having him slide down a bit to get him.

Cavs and Hawks are rumored to be teams that were interested and also the Celtics who have three 1st they could package to move up for him.

They should call OKC.  After they traded for Al Horford either Horford or Steven Adams should be available.  

20 hours ago, e16bball said:

Agreed. That’s what I’ve been arguing on Twitter with some people who are fascinated by Westbrook’s stats but he’s a volume scorer and I really worry about him taking shots away from Beal.

7 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Great sign for us! Scoop him up Tommy!

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Draft shaping up nicely for us through pick 5 at least. Leaves Okongwo, Haliburton, Avdija, and Toppin on the board. Should be a talented player for us.

Well I’m sure you sent this just before Okongwu got picked, but Hayes just went which is good for us. Avdija, Halliburton or Toppin would be great gets for us!!