Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Well, I guess I can’t be too mad at them. Cassius Winston is a great pick in the 2nd round. He’s not athletic enough to be a star in the NBA, and I don’t think he ever will be — but when you’re talking about a 2nd rounder, getting a PG with his savvy, shooting ability, and ability to run things like a pro from day one is about as good as you’re gonna do.

Yeah I’ll be honest I would have contemplated taking him at 37 so I would say it’s a win. He will end up being our future backup PG

We'll see how Deni actually fits and does. I'm always nervous about an international prospect. I think @turtle28 referred to him as a 3 and D guy, but he's going to take time to develop that. In a vacuum I don't think so far he's excelled at either (but has been improving so we will need some patience). I know turtle harps on me about Troy Brown's development, but this guy I could see reaching more of it. He could benefit from Wall to be honest. I do love the ... for lack of a better comparison right now ... Ben Simmons feel to his game though. He's tall (needs to add some weight) and can handle the ball extremely well. Not sure he will need to. 

I was really hoping one of the big O's was going to fall to us - Oku, Obi, or Okoro - but granted I obviously know the least about Deni and some people are very high on this pick so I can't be too bad. I am certainly not mad like I was about the Jan Vesely pick. The only player that was left that I was super high on as well was Haliburton so. 

Like @e16bball alluded to, I am/was pissed about the Vit pick, but looks like we traded it and got someone who may contribute right away in Winson. Getting a future second is fine, but I would have been much happier keeping our 1st pick and getting Tre or Nico instead. 

We're going to have to sign some big men. Oturu would have been fun in the 2nd, but he got snatched up. 

• Like 1

No. 9. Washington Wizards: Deni Avdija, 6’9″ wing, Maccabi Tel Aviv. Good pick who fell farther than expected to Washington. A big playmaking wing with versatility and fantastic decision making who can help run or be the passing hub of an offense. He’s played a full season at the highest levels of European basketball, teams know he can compete in the NBA. Solid defender in a team system. The concerns are his shooting — 27.7% from three last season and, more concerning, 55.6% on free throws — and he’s not an elite athlete at the NBA level. On a team with John Wall and Bradley Beal he serves as another playmaker that can help now.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/18/2020-nba-draft-pick-by-pick-tracker-with-analysis-of-selections-trades/

Deni Avdija is thought to be the greatest basketball talent that Israel has ever had and likely will be the highest-ranked European player in this year’s draft. After a strong performance at the 2017 U16 European Championships, which Avdija led in rebounds and assists, he signed with powerhouse Maccabi Tel Aviv. He made his pro-debut in the Israeli League against Ironi Nes Ziona in November 2017, becoming the youngest player to ever play for Maccabi. In November 2018, the Israeli talent made his first appearance in the Euroleague, scoring two points in three minutes of playing time in a loss to Fenerbahce.

In 2018 and 2019 he won back-to-back gold medals at the U20 European Championships, cementing himself as the top European prospect in his class. He then gained more exposure and popularity, winning MVP honors at the Basketball Without Borders European Camp in 2018 and at the Basketball Without Borders Global Camp in Charlotte in 2019.

Avdija possesses good size for his position standing at 6-foot-9 to go along with a  combination of a well-developed frame for his age and quickness, however he lacks elite athleticism. He has the skill set and versatility to play multiple positions on both ends of the floor, as he gains more experience and adds strength. He has very good court vision and ball-handling skills, showing impressive passing ability in transition plays, especially pushing off the glass.

With a high, above-the head release and good arc, Avdija is an inconsistent shooter from long-distance at this stage of his career, but possesses the tools and the upside to improve that with time and reps. He mainly relies on his right-hand dribble to set up driving offense, which make him a bit vulnerable. He’s very smart and effective in pick and roll plays. He could improve his left-hand dribble and add more shooting off the dribble in his game, as at this point, he is more of a spot-up shooter. He has very good instincts and timing when to cut.

Defensive Analysis

His high basketball IQ, pro basketball genes and competitiveness often make up for his lack of elite lateral quickness and athleticism in man-on-man defensive plays. Avdija sees things early to help, running through passing lanes, displaying very active hands.

He has good rebounding instincts, showing sharp anticipation around the basket. Given his good mixture of physical tools, Avdija can guard multiple positions. He can improve his defensive intensity.

Career Highlights

2-time Israeli League champion (2018, 2019) and one-time Israeli League Cup winner (2017)

Led the 2017 U16 European Championship in rebounds (12.6) and assists (5.3) to go along with 15.3 points a game.

Helped Israel to the gold medal at the 2018 U20 European Championships where he was named in the All-Tournament Team, recording 12.7 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.

Won the Basketball Without Borders European camp MVP (2018) and Basketball Without Borders Global Camp MVP (2019)

2019-20

Named to the Euroleague 2019 Adidas Next Generation Tournament Finals All-Tournament Team, averaging 24.7 points, 12.0 rebounds and 6.7 assists.

Helped Israel to the gold medal at the 2019 U20 European Championships, winning the MVP Award at the event while averaging 18.4 points, 8.3 rebounds and 5.3 assists.

On February 24, 2020, led the Israeli senior national team in scoring (21) and rebounds (8) in a 87-63 win over Romania

In 33 games in the Israeli League this season he helped Maccabi Tel Aviv to the National League title by averaging 12.9 points, 6.3 boards and 2.7 assists in 27.6 minutes of playing time per game

In 26 Euroleague games with Maccabi Tel Aviv he averaged 4.0 points,2.6 rebounds and 1.2 assists over 13.8 minutes per game.

Strengths

Has a high level of court intelligence and competitive spirit

Very smart and effective in pick and roll plays

Very good cutter

Has the potential to be a reliable spot-up shooter

Has great open-court game

Good size for his position, allowing him to play/guard multiple positions

https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/deni-avdija#/

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

We'll see how Deni actually fits and does. I'm always nervous about an international prospect. I think @turtle28 referred to him as a 3 and D guy, but he's going to take time to develop that. In a vacuum I don't think so far he's excelled at either (but has been improving so we will need some patience). I know turtle harps on me about Troy Brown's development, but this guy I could see reaching more of it. He could benefit from Wall to be honest. I do love the ... for lack of a better comparison right now ... Ben Simmons feel to his game though. He's tall (needs to add some weight) and can handle the ball extremely well. Not sure he will need to. 

I was really hoping one of the big O's was going to fall to us - Oku, Obi, or Okoro - but granted I obviously know the least about Deni and some people are very high on this pick so I can't be too bad. I am certainly not mad like I was about the Jan Vesely pick. The only player that was left that I was super high on as well was Haliburton so. 

Like @e16bball alluded to, I am/was pissed about the Vit pick, but looks like we traded it and got someone who may contribute right away in Winson. Getting a future second is fine, but I would have been much happier keeping our 1st pick and getting Tre or Nico instead. 

We're going to have to sign some big men. Oturu would have been fun in the 2nd, but he got snatched up. 

Ya he's not a 3 & D guy right now.  He has the raw tools to become that but that isn't his game right now.  I know they don't play the same position but a good comp for him is Tomas Satoransky.  Long for his position, great ball handler and passer.  That's what you're getting from him Year 1.  His most effective use this year I would think to be to run with the 2nd unit and run the offense almost as a PG.  If he develops his jump shot he could become something really special.  

It’s pretty clear anyone they took in this draft was likely going to be a bench contributor this year other than maybe Toppin. @MikeT14 & MKnight are right throwing out 3 & D was a bad pun on my part, he’s not that, he needs development still, and he may never be a great defensive player but he does seem like a major competitor which is a lot of what playing D is.

Like others I was hoping so bad that Toppin fell to us bc there’s a possibility he could’ve started at PF this year and Rui then switch to SF if Rui has developed his 3 pt shot the last 4 months since the summer.

That being said, I think Devi will be as much of a steal as Obi in time. 

I love the Winston pick, he’ll be a good back up for Wall when Ish is gone and while I’m not sure if he’s even on the 15 man roster this year - bc we have Ish & Nappier - in time he’ll be a good back up PG to Wall. 

I think as a rookie that Winston, like Scofield will spend a lot of time in the G-League for the Go Go this year. Which is fine, I hope he dominates there. He really doesn’t need much development, he’s a pretty much finished product. He could use more consistency with his 3 pt shot but that should come with more reps.

No matter what happened in this draft we still need to upgrade the SF position and hopefully find a defensive minded/athletic center who can split time with the offensive minded Bryant.

We just need a vet at SF who can stroke the 3 and play some D IMO. I’m hoping we can find that guy with one of our exceptions, either the MLE or bi-annual.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Giving up Admiral Schofield for a 2024 2nd rounder in order to facilitate a move DOWN the board is a real head-scratcher™️.

I tend to agree, I heard from someone though that they didn’t think Schofield was developing. I can’t remember who that was but, I didn’t agree with that take. I didn’t by any means think Schofield was developed but I thought he played pretty well last year in the Gleague which is where 2nd round picks and undrafted guys develop unless they end up overseas. Personally, I wouldn’t have traded Schofield either bc I think he could develop into a solid reserve forward.

That being said, I love Cassius Winston. That dude is such a competitor, facilitator, good finisher around the basket and a big shot maker. He doesn’t have much to offer in terms of elite athleticism but I could definitely see him being a back up for Wall once Ish is gone and depending on what happens with Napier in the future.

Edited by turtle28

Deni Avdija, SF, Maccabi Tel Aviv (No. 9, to Wizards)

With so many teams reaching so hard for potential, it was hard to believe Avdija lasted all the way to the No. 9 pick. Avdija probably was done a disservice by constant comparisons to Luka Doncic, but it’s rare for someone with his height and strength to have his vision and ability to pass on the move. Avdija is not a proven shooter, but neither is he a poor shooter, like some of those selected above him. He should have the ability to initiate offense from various positions on the floor, a quality many teams in the league are valuing now.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nba/news/nba-draft-2020-steals-reaches-first-round/yo6nmsxb6zxi1v8rl5j8nbv7b

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s pretty clear anyone they took in this draft was likely going to be a bench contributor this year other than maybe Toppin. @MikeT14 & MKnight are right throwing out 3 & D was a bad pun on my part, he’s not that, he needs development still, and he may never be a great defensive player but he does seem like a major competitor which is a lot of what playing D is.

Like others I was hoping so bad that Toppin fell to us bc there’s a possibility he could’ve started at PF this year and Rui then switch to SF if Rui has developed his 3 pt shot the last 4 months since the summer.

That being said, I think Devi will be as much of a steal as Obi in time. 

I love the Winston pick, he’ll be a good back up for Wall when Ish is gone and while I’m not sure if he’s even on the 15 man roster this year - bc we have Ish & Nappier - in time he’ll be a good back up PG to Wall. 

I think as a rookie that Winston, like Scofield will spend a lot of time in the G-League for the Go Go this year. Which is fine, I hope he dominates there. He really doesn’t need much development, he’s a pretty much finished product. He could use more consistency with his 3 pt shot but that should come with more reps.

No matter what happened in this draft we still need to upgrade the SF position and hopefully find a defensive minded/athletic center who can split time with the offensive minded Bryant.

We just need a vet at SF who can stroke the 3 and play some D IMO. I’m hoping we can find that guy with one of our exceptions, either the MLE or bi-annual.

I think Winston starts out on the roster. I want to say Napier is a UFA if I’m not mistaken.

the thing about Winston is that he went later bc of his age 22 and his height 6’1”

to be honest Winston is probably one of the more pro ready guys drafted last night and for him to last that long is crazy! I’m not saying he’s gonna be a star or anything like that but he has to potential to be a solid backup PG for 10 plus years

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

I think Winston starts out on the roster. I want to say Napier is a UFA if I’m not mistaken.

the thing about Winston is that he went later bc of his age 22 and his height 6’1”

to be honest Winston is probably one of the more pro ready guys drafted last night and for him to last that long is crazy! I’m not saying he’s gonna be a star or anything like that but he has to potential to be a solid backup PG for 10 plus years

You’re right! Napier is a UFA. The definitely made this trade to replace him. That being the case I see Winston making the roster too. Probably be of the last guys to make the roster but he should make it.

I think a guy they could get as a defensive minded SF is Moe Harkless. Chase Hughes of NBCSportsWashington suggested that when he and I were tweeting back and forth yesterday.

The last time he started was a few years ago and he averaged 10 pts & 4 rebs but the reason we’d want him isn’t bc of his scoring - we have plenty of that w/ the other 4 starters & Bertans if he’s re-signed - it’s bc he’s a solid D player and we need someone to play solid D on the wing.

Deni Avdija is certainly not a 3-and-D guy. He isn't really known for either "3" or "D". To me is more of a playmaking 3/4. He has good handle for a 6'9 guy. Can pass well and get to the basket. Refining his shot & learning to play with contact will be the most important thing to watch in his development. He isn't a freak athlete, but is long and plays with energy so that gives some confidence that he'll be a decent defender.

The one thing I feel the Wizards really lack is an identity. They really aren't a classic P&R half-court offense. They try and play the up and down game but they don't do it very effectively. The collection of players they have are somewhat talented, but I don't see how they all fit together. The collective production from their squad doesn't match the sum of their talent. That needs to change.

Do you have a real 3 who can defend other 3s? No. Do you have a defensive anchor who can block shots and control the paint? No.

Most important thing for 2021: One of Rui Hachimura or Troy Brown Jr. need to emerge as a legit 3rd option.