Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I see your points turtle, but I also think a lot of Leonsis revolves around his brand more than his approach to winning - which can be apathetic at times. I think once the Caps window shuts closed, I wouldn't be surprised to see it closed for a while. 

Maybe, maybe not if they do the right thing - like Ted did when he bought the Caps - and rebuild as soon as possible. We do that and get one of the top picks again and they could turn it around w/in 5 years of guys like Ovi, Backstrom & Oshie retiring.

I think it’s hard for him to accept trading Beal because he sees Beal’s youth and sees him as a building block for their future. I don’t know that he’s wrong about that either. 

I don’t think Leonsis is the best owner in sports but among the worst seems like another exaggeration.

Not that it matters bc who are they going to sign or absorb in a trade who will make a real difference for this team, but it’s something.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoopshype.com/lists/nba-free-agent-rankings-top-players-available-right-now/amp/

Some names that could help on there but Brooks probably wouldn’t play the defending first types who are FAs & the best available for wing D.

I’d be interested in signing Rondae Hollis Jefferson or Gerald Green and have them start at SF. Neither provide much offense - I guess Green is athletic & a streaky 3 pt shooter - but both are high energy players who can help on D.

Really wish one do them had been signed before the season began. A lot of people think Avdija needs more shots/opportunities to develop. I think the best way for that to happen for Avdija to come off the bench and be the 1st or 2nd option on the 2nd unit along w/ Bertans. 

They should add an athletic  defender/hustle guy to start at SF. Let Avdija develop on the 2nd unit. He’ll get a lot more shots and opportunities to create on that unit.

Edited by turtle28

Best rotation IMO-

PG: Westbrook, TBJ

SG: Beal, Matthews

SF: Avdija, Bertans (15 min)

PF: Rui, Bertans (15 min)

C Len, Wagner.

Bertans splits time as the back up SF/PF depending on if Avdija or Bertans are in the game with the second unit. That’s my 9 man rotation.

Ish, Neto, Bonga, Robinson & Lopez get no minutes. The young guys with potential to be good for us in the future either as role players/4-7 players or good back ups need to play over our mediocre vets who give us nothing as well as over Bonga & Robinson who haven’t developed enough on the offensive end to have earned minutes.

What say you?

Edited by turtle28

Something I’ve been pointing out all year and this wasn’t a problem last year. This must improve, it’s supposed to be the strength of this team and it’s a weakness. 🤦‍♂️ 

Beal should be shooting near 40% & Bertans should be at 40% or over.

I like that Avdija is shooting 37% & Rui is shooting 33% from three this year but these guys need more shots.

Edited by turtle28

The Wizards just beat the Celtics and for the most part played much, much better. It was obvious the Wizards caught the Celtics on a bad day, but I’ll take it. For example, Jayson Tatum only had 6 points.

The difference for the Wiz was obviously effort on defense & rebounding. The Wiz still didn’t shoot it well, 9/33 from 3, only 27%. If they defend & have effort, they’ll be in games & can win.

Westbrook still has not found his rhythm on this team and in this offense but, at least he does other things well. He nearly had a triple double again despite a poor night shooting, 13 pts (6-19, 0-2 from 3), 9 rebs, 11 assists.

Starting Wagner was something that Brooks should’ve done since Bryant went down. He’s wasted so many games by starting Lopez over Wagner. Wagner just gives us more athleticism, effort, defense and rebounding vs what Lopez does & the Lopez or preferably Len - but I don’t see Brooks not playing Lopez at all - can take advantage of other teams back up centers.

Westbrook: 13 pts (6-19, 0-2 from 3), 9 rebs, 11 assists, better on D today.

Beal: 35 pts (4-9 from 3), 7 rebs, 5 assists, 2 stls, better on D today.

Rui: 15 pts, 4 rebs, 1 assist he had a lot of energy today & was better on D

Matthews: 0 pts, 3 rebs, 2 stls but he played solid D & gave a lot of energy 

Wagner: 11 pts, 4 rebs, 2 stls, he played solid D & gave a lot of energy 

Lopez: 10 pts, 4 rebs, 2 assists, 1 block, he played solid D & gave a lot of energy 

Bertans: 8 pts (2-6 from 3), 8 rebs, 1 assist, 1 block, better on D today, gave more energy

Avdija: 8 pts, (1-5 from 3) 10 rebs, like the others he played solid D & gave a lot of energy today.

A major concern for the Wizards still has to be Westbrook’s offensive inconsistency. He has been good at rebounding and is still averaging near a triple double but he has been very inconsistent this year. That and chemistry with his teammates is still a major problem they’re still not comfortable together. 

Westbrook has had a hard time adjusting to playing with these guys & they’ve had a hard time adjusting to him. Him missing the preseason bc of the quad was an issue, him not playing back to backs bc of the quad was an issue & I put that on Brooks.

Westbrook shouldn’t have played until he was 100% over that injury but regardless chemistry is an issue with their offense. It’s not that he can’t play anymore, it’s just not clicking bc he & his teammates are still working on chemistry.

So far, the Wall/Westbrook trade looks like a major mistake for the Wizards. It’s not that Wall is having a great year either but Wall’s chemistry w/ this team was already there which Westbrook doesn’t have yet and he may never develop with these guys & Beal.

Westbrook’s 19.5 ppg average looks good on its face but his efficiency & chemistry with his teammates has been a huge problem so far this year.

His overall shooting % is just 42%, down from 47% last year. His 2% shooting % this year is only 45%, last year it was 51%, that drop is huge! Also, his FT% is down 11% from 76.3% to 65.5% which is also a huge drop. 

From watching him I don’t see it improving too much this year. He doesn’t look comfortable with his teammates and they don’t look comfortable w/ him plus, his explosion isn’t the same. It looks like he’s a little bit heavier, that quad injury really set him and this team back.

Anthony Davis has tendonosis in his heel/achillies area, this is worse than tendinitis that we all know.

Since the Lakers could be lost Davis for the year - at worst several weeks or months, this seems like a good time to make a trade involving Beal for some of the Lakers young talent & picks.

How about?

Lakers Get: Bradley Beal 

• Robin Lopez

• Jerome Robinson

Wizards Get: 2022, 2023& 2024 firsts (LeBron could retire after the 2022 season making the 2023 & 2024 firsts probably higher picks)

• Kyle Kuzma

• Caldwell-Pope

• Wesley Matthews 

• Talen Horton-Tucker

Tendonosis (also spelled tendinosis) is a chronic condition involving deterioration of collagen (a structural protein) in the tendons. Tendonosis is caused by chronic overuse of a tendon. It can occur in any tendon, but most often occurs in the tendons of the: heel (in the Achilles tendon) wrists.Jan 22, 2018
www.healthline.com  health › tend...
Edited by turtle28

Entertaining game tonight, pretty exciting duel between the star guards on each team. Probably a pipe dream, but I’d love to see those two guys play together — instead of against each other. 

I’d trade that Westbrook guy in order to get it done 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Westbrook’s inefficiency is a problem, his shooting from 2 even hasn’t been good. He needs to get in shape, get his legs back after the quad injury & please hit at least one wide open 3 a game and your free throws dude! That’s the least we ask. Russ should be averaging 22 or 23 ppg, not 19. Wall is so much better than Westbrook right  now.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Entertaining game tonight, pretty exciting duel between the star guards on each team. Probably a pipe dream, but I’d love to see those two guys play together — instead of against each other. 

I’d trade that Westbrook guy in order to get it done 🤷🏻‍♂️

What a dumb effin trade that was. I still have hopes Westbrook can improve his efficiency when he gets his legs back & drops a few pounds. If Russ can get back to as efficient as last year he’d be averaging 22 or 23 ppg right now. The Wall trade was all on Brooks man!  No doubt in my mind it was Brooks’s idea to trade Wall for Westbrook and he sold Tommy & Ted on it and so far it’s backfired. Just another nail in the coffin ⚰️ for Brooks in DC!