Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

Nice back to back wins. Couple thoughts:

Houston was banged up BIG TIME. So let's not put a ton of stock in that win.

The bigger win was against Boston. The Wiz played defense for once. Held the Celts to less than 25 pts each and every quarter. 

Mo and Matthews both inserted in the starting lineup against the Celts. Both are underrated, especially Mo, IMO. Here's to hoping Mo gets mo minutes. 

Next night, Russ finally plays the back end of B2B games. They said it was because he felt good. We all know it was because he was playing Wall... and they have a bit of rivalry. Russ was AWFUL. Wall was Wall. Great first quarter/half... then faded in the second half. 

Back to Russ... I'm still okay with the trade. Wall had to go. But Wall is the better player of these two overpaid "superstars" at this point. Russ is a terrible shooter. And it's clear his legs are failing him at this point of his career. He shot a free throw air ball the other night and blew the most wide open layup. His shots are soooo bad, recently, that he holds his follow through in disbelief. It's embarrassing. He's best posting up undersized guards. But dude still throws up God awful threes. 

I'm starting to get a Otto feel on Rui. I loved Otto. But he could get complacent in a guard heavy offense. Rui just seems soft right now. Every now and then he snatches a rebound that makes me feel differently. But I've also seen him outrebounded guards... I've seen him pushed around. 

Still like Deni. I just think they need to give him more playmaking opportunities. He's a talented ballhandler. And that is being wasted.

On 2/11/2021 at 2:34 PM, MikeT14 said:

I see your points turtle, but I also think a lot of Leonsis revolves around his brand more than his approach to winning - which can be apathetic at times. I think once the Caps window shuts closed, I wouldn't be surprised to see it closed for a while. 

I seem to recall a lot of issues surrounding hiring coaches that was related to Leonsis.  Maybe I'm wrong though. 

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Still like Deni. I just think they need to give him more playmaking opportunities. He's a talented ballhandler. And that is being wasted.

This, 100%.

If you’re going to devote your time to developing one young guy on this roster, Deni is the one. He has such good feel, such good basketball sense for a guy that young and that inexperienced with the American style. He’s processing the game at a higher level than most of the guys on the team.

With his skill level, and the playmaking knack that you reference, he can be a really good player once he gets stronger and a little more assertive. I actually think he’s going to be an excellent shooter as well, his mechanics look really good most of the time. 

He’s the kind of guy that a totally ball-dominant, domineering presence like Westbrook holds back. Deni needs freedom and license to operate and grow as a facilitator, and it’s hard to do that when you have a guy who demands so much control and autonomy over the offense. When Russ is in the floor, everyone but Beal is expected to play off of him, and that leaves these guys wholly unable to develop their own games, aside from being screeners and cutters (and watchers) for Russ.

• Like 2

Overpaying to keep Bertans - I was wrong about that being a good contract, he should be making $5 mill less at the least. Overpaying Lopez as a back up center when they had Wagner already and could’ve went with a cheaper option as his back up like Jordan Bell as the 3rd center to start the season.

I swear the Wizards do the opposite of what I want them to do most times. I want a too 5 pick & now they’ve gone on a 3 game win streak. 😂 Wizards beat the Nuggets  tonight 130-128. The Wizards played the last 8 seconds of the Game on D awful. They had a foul to give, let 3 seconds go off then fouled. Then, allowed Murray to catch it, he hit a deep 3 to tie the game w/ a 2 seconds left. Then, Beal gets the ball drives to the hoop gets fouled - on a little acting but he gets to the free throw line & wins the game.

Bertans: 35 pts (9-11 from 3) 8-8 FT. Best game from Bertans in a while, maybe ever. He was on fire.

Beal: 25 pts (1-5 from 3 🤦‍♂️) 8-8 FT, 4 rebs, 10 asts

Hachimura: 14 pts (1-4 from 3) 4 rebs, 3 asts

Westbrook: 12 pts (1-4 from 3), 13 rebs, 12 asts (still not shooting it well 5-15, 0-2 from 3)

Neto, Lopez & Len (5-8) 8 rebs) all played well

Avdija didn’t have his best night on offense but they still hustle which shows in the court but not on the box score.

Matthews brought energy in the early going. The Joker was killing Moe in the post to start the game, he was replaced and Len did better on him. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I did not watch last night. But that's a big win. Going into this road trip, I thought one win would be a "win" for the Wiz. They get it in game one.

Bertans has been shooting the three-ball better the past two games. Hopefully that is a sign of good things to come. Russ still turning it over too much. And if he never shot another three, I'd be okay with that. 2 of 6 from the line is brutal too.

Good job... Scott Brooks(?) for quickly getting Mo out of there... bad mismatch for a thin bodied center. 

The bench was big last night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I did not watch last night. But that's a big win. Going into this road trip, I thought one win would be a "win" for the Wiz. They get it in game one.

Bertans has been shooting the three-ball better the past two games. Hopefully that is a sign of good things to come. Russ still turning it over too much. And if he never shot another three, I'd be okay with that. 2 of 6 from the line is brutal too.

Good job... Scott Brooks(?) for quickly getting Mo out of there... bad mismatch for a thin bodied center. 

The bench was big last night.

Russ is frustrating. I know he can play better he just isn’t. The way you get better is by playing and to keep shooting even if your missing but it hurts the team when he’s so inefficient - hate to say it but that’s why I factored Wall over Westbrook- anywhoo, if Brooks can keep Westbrook from shooting more than 15 shots a game, that’s what’s best for this team.

I will say in the last 3 games, he’s missing shots by literally inches - besides the airball at the FT line & mid range jumper - he’s had 2 threes run out, he’s had 3 layups rim out, his midrange bank shots are missing unlike and inch.

Every game I’m adding ui these just slight misses and he’s literally so close to scoring 25 to 30 ppg. Vs the Rockets he was so close to having 30, last night so close to having 25.

My biggest gripe with him is he’s shooting awful at the free throw line. Sometimes the shots won’t fall, but get to the Wall and knock down the FTs but he’s shoot 2-6 from the FT line last night and just 61% from the line.

Wall is shooting 74% from FT (13% better than Westbrook) 

• 35% from 3 (5% better than Westbrook) 

• 44% from the field (4% higher than Westbrook)

They’re equivalent on defense. They both are good passers but I’d give the edge to Wall. Westbrook averages more rebounds but I’d also argue Westbrook takes some free throws from the big when the big is about to grab it.

Would we have been much better w/ Wall? No, but we would be better, probably 13-13 or just over or below it.

As for what people have said about Avdija, they’re right that he needs the ball in his hands more. This is why I’ve been clamoring for him to come off the bench and for Matthews to start or for us to get a D first SF FA like Hollis Jefferson to start. Avdija off the bench can be a major creator, same if TBJ gets minutes with the second unit.

They won’t get that with Beal & Westbrook both on the floor with the starting unit. I think Brooks finally found some rotations that worked last few games & has figured to go with the center who has the best game going on every given night.

Edited by turtle28