Anybody for Cobb out Dez In?

Golfman

6 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

It's like people believe they can say **** like this and it makes it true.

Has one ******* person on Earth said "our WR corps is packed with elite talent"

Literally, has one person, like even the dumbest homer on Earth even uttered those words? I ******* doubt it.

You guys are clowns.

Come on kid, are the childish names really called for?  A profanity laced post that ends with name calling?  Hopefully, you are better than this buddyO.o

I think the one thing that is necessary in this process for the Packers organization is projecting what they have and how they might improve and make a leap. There are guys with potential, yet warts. Allison, Davis, Clark, and Yancey all have skill sets. IMO, the only one with the athletic skill set to POTENTIALLY become elite is Clark, but he is so raw. 

Maybe we think we can ride one more year out of Cobb, with Adams and Graham that we're OK at WR. Perhaps we grab a guy in round 2 or 3 to contribute a year from now. 

I thought the discussion of bringing Dez was worth it. I've been very down on Cobb for a few years now and don't see a 'rebound' type of season. Hey, we get a major leap from one of those 4 guys I mentioned our WR's aren't that bad. Clark could become a match up nightmare and Davis could develop into the take the top off the defense guy. Those are big "COULDs" but that is why we have guys who evaluate and make those decisions. 

If would make me sick if we go WR before addressing a pass rusher and CB next week. 

2 hours ago, SSG said:

Why doesn't it make sense?  Our WR core is extremely thin with NFL caliber talent.  Behind Adams and Cobb is a bunch of practice squad caliber talent.  As it sits right now, we're going to need a significant impact from either a rookie or a player who's shown next to nothing thus far in their NFL career.  If anything, Dez adds some security.  It's not going to force us to add a WR early in a very mediocre WR draft and it will guard from (god forbid) an injury to Adams.  

It's like people believe our WR core is packed with elite talent.  We've got one thousand yard receiving season from the group as a whole.  Only Adams (in the last 2 years) has shown an sort of real consistency.  This is probably our least talented WR core since Greg Jennings rookie year.  

How deep do you think most teams are at WR?  Legitimately want to know what you think on this one.

Dez comes here he is at best behind Adams, Graham, and probably Cobb. He is a limited receiver who isn't going to get better. If they draft a guy in the first 4, Dez could be the #5 option by mid season. I can't see Dez being worth it unless you think he's your #2, and I don't think he has that ability any more. 

Dez on the sidelines not getting a pretty significant number of targets is going to be a pain in the rear.

14 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Dez comes here he is at best behind Adams, Graham, and probably Cobb. He is a limited receiver who isn't going to get better. If they draft a guy in the first 4, Dez could be the #5 option by mid season. I can't see Dez being worth it unless you think he's your #2, and I don't think he has that ability any more. 

Dez on the sidelines not getting a pretty significant number of targets is going to be a pain in the rear.

Go back to Adams rookie year, or Jennings, or Nelson. A rookie is not ready to come in and be the #1 outside guy opposite Adams. We always run 11 personnel with 3 wide. Allison isn't talented enough either. Dez on a 1 year deal would be an extremely smart investment.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

How deep do you think most teams are at WR?  Legitimately want to know what you think on this one.

I  think that most teams in the league are deeper than we are at the WR position (probably 70%ish, JMO).  While there aren't a ton of teams with multiple consistent 800-1000 yard WRs, there are a bunch of teams with proven NFL WRs on them.  Guys who have shown they can contribute and give you quality spot starts.  Behind Adams and Cobb, we've got very little NFL production.  On top of my issue with the depth, I'm not sure we've got a true difference maker at WR.  Adams is a very good WR but would any non Packer fan consider him in even the top half of his peers (#1 WRs)?  He's looked like our best guy in just one season and that was only AFTER AR12 went down with injury.  

I'm probably in the minority but I view the WR position as our second most important position on the offense.  I've got nightmares of that 2015 season when our offense showed just how bad it can potentially be when there is a dip in talent at WR.  

We've been VERY VERY spoiled at the WR position since Ted Thompson took over.  He was always making major investments into the position group which always left us (most of the time) 3 deep at WR.  

2 hours ago, SSG said:

Come on kid, are the childish names really called for?  A profanity laced post that ends with name calling?  Hopefully, you are better than this buddyO.o

You call him kid just before bemoaning name calling? 

50 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Go back to Adams rookie year, or Jennings, or Nelson. A rookie is not ready to come in and be the #1 outside guy opposite Adams. We always run 11 personnel with 3 wide. Allison isn't talented enough either. Dez on a 1 year deal would be an extremely smart investment.

At least it would give us a veteran presence opposite Adams - not that I dont think Allison could help us (ducking quickly to avoid those things being thrown at me.....) and (HA!) - who knows if Davis is gonna show something at WR - (okay, so most of you think you already know that....but still). Yancy? Who knows? Clark? Who knows? Janis? Not a question we need answered anymore.

In any event, we need to snag ourselves a good WR in this draft. To keep our rotational depth moving along - plus Cobb's deal is coming to a close after 2018 (Yeah, I know most of you want him gone anyway.....but I'm not of that mindset).

13 minutes ago, SSG said:

I  think that most teams in the league are deeper than we are at the WR position (probably 70%ish, JMO).  While there aren't a ton of teams with multiple consistent 800-1000 yard WRs, there are a bunch of teams with proven NFL WRs on them.  Guys who have shown they can contribute and give you quality spot starts.  Behind Adams and Cobb, we've got very little NFL production.  On top of my issue with the depth, I'm not sure we've got a true difference maker at WR.  Adams is a very good WR but would any non Packer fan consider him in even the top half of his peers (#1 WRs)?  He's looked like our best guy in just one season and that was only AFTER AR12 went down with injury.  

I'm probably in the minority but I view the WR position as our second most important position on the offense.  I've got nightmares of that 2015 season when our offense showed just how bad it can potentially be when there is a dip in talent at WR.  

We've been VERY VERY spoiled at the WR position since Ted Thompson took over.  He was always making major investments into the position group which always left us (most of the time) 3 deep at WR.  

You might not be in the minority by viewing WR as the second most important spot on offense, but I'd guess you're definitely in the minority with the idea that 70% of NFL teams have better wideouts than GB. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

At least it would give us a veteran presence opposite Adams - not that I dont think Allison could help us (ducking quickly to avoid those things being thrown at me.....) and (HA!) - who knows if Davis is gonna show something at WR - (okay, so most of you think you already know that....but still). Yancy? Who knows? Clark? Who knows? Janis? Not a question we need answered anymore.

In any event, we need to snag ourselves a good WR in this draft. To keep our rotational depth moving along - plus Cobb's deal is coming to a close after 2018 (Yeah, I know most of you want him gone anyway.....but I'm not of that mindset).

I'm more than fine retaining Cobb after this season, but the price tag needs to be far lower obviously. 

Just now, Kepler said:

I'm more than fine retaining Cobb after this season, but the price tag needs to be far lower obviously. 

Well - only way that seems to work out is if he cant find any buyers on the market - which I dont think will be an issue with him - especially if he has a good 2018.

Just now, Leader said:

Well - only way that seems to work out is if he cant find any buyers on the market - which I dont think will be an issue with him - especially if he has a good 2018.

Yep. Depends on what other wr's are FA next year as well. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No idea but I do know Green Bay have been deeper at WR than we are now every year since Rodgers took over. I've never known us to go into a season without an obvious number 3 WR.

It used to be the case that if your shutdown corner could cover our WR1 then great but can your 3rd corner cover James Jones and your 4th guy be able to cover Cobb ? Now Geronimo is 3rd and its anyone's guess who is 4th. For a team that pretty much lives and dies by the passing game, our current situation at receiver is desperate. And that's if they stay healthy, if Adams gets knocked out again Rodgers might be chucking the ball up in the air and catching it himself.

And to add to that Rodgers normally needs time for new guys to blend in and wants to build relationships with them. We basically should have drafted Nelson's replacement last year and Cobb's this year.

If it wasn't for our needs elsewhere, I would be happy with drafting 2 receivers relatively early. That isn't really possible but its still our number 1 need going into the draft and one needs to be drafted early as a priority. 

2 hours ago, SSG said:

This ...

The sexy mocks love to be going all-out defence in the draft thinking that a few guys could make the difference to turn the defence around and that a decent defence will mean a super bowl.

This conveniently forgets that if the passing game struggles, we might as well start planning for 2019. Our depth at receiver is a shadow of what it used to be and our line is being held together by duct-tape. As things stand we don't have a healthy RT or a RG you can be happy with and that's before injuries kick in. Its insane reading mocks that have us not taking anyone on offense in the first 4 rounds so our first 5 picks.

You can only draft one side of the ball for so long before the other side unravels.

Archived