Anybody for Cobb out Dez In?

Golfman

17 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Stop with the trade Cobb already. Exactly who do you think wants to eat that salary. 

See what you can get for him. The only way he's untradeable is if he actually does get cut. 

...just admit it, you don't want to trade him because you think we're hard up at WR. I get it...

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

See what you can get for him. The only way he's untradeable is if he actually does get cut. 

...just admit it, you don't want to trade him because you think we're hard up at WR. I get it...

LOL - no - I just admit I dont play xbox

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

For those in favor of signing Dez, feel free to state the salary you are willing to offer.

This ain't going to inline with everyone else but I would give him a contract similar to what we gave Graham. Remarkably similar circumstances to a certain degree. Previously elite players in teams that are not maximizing their talents with a huge slice of risk attached to signing. I would go that high with a salary as I feel that would be close to what it would take to get him. I'd be surprised if he went from 16.5m salary to anything less than 10m . If we were interested in Matthews and Robinson we should definitely be interested in Dez and as someone else mentioned this kind of like the Moss situation in Oakland and I don't want this one to get away.

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

LOL - no - I just admit I dont play xbox

I don't play xBox at all actually...

If Arizona will pay Sam Bradford $20 mil., if Matt Cassell can still get a job in this league, and if WR3's can get 3 year, $24 mil. deals then Cobb has value...

Again, admit you don't want to move on from Cobb because you think we're hard up at WR. It's a popular opinion and I'm not knocking you for it. I just disagree *shrug*

I don't want Dez at any price. He would be a cancer in the locker room. Fans tend to think that these kinds of players will turn over a new leaf when they join OUR team, but it usually doesn't happen. Bennett was a total jackass last year, just like he's always been. 

2 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

We cut Jordy because it was a place to save money.  They had to pay Davante.  They wouldn't cut one expensive WR that was still productive , and by all accounts loved the team, only to sign someone almost as good and expensive.

First, we need to get over this thought that Jordy 2018 is as good as Dez 2018. That's laughable. Dez is 29, Nelson is 32 with a repaired ACL. Dez is still a WR that teams cover with their No .1 CB. The Steelers covered Nelson with T.J. Watt last year.

Second, we made a run at Robinson, a highly paid WR. Someone who will cost much more than Dez.  

Third, we thought so much of Jordy that we didnt even offer him a decent pay cut as an option. GB didnt want Jordy back. You don't cut a player you want to keep if he will take a 75% pay cut to stay.

Fourth, we have like $16 million in cap even without extending Rodgers. You aren't carrying all that money over. We have money to spend. Spend it on a difference maker like Dez. 

37 minutes ago, Joe said:

If Arizona will pay Sam Bradford $20 mil., if Matt Cassell can still get a job in this league, and if WR3's can get 3 year, $24 mil. deals then Cobb has value...

Again, admit you don't want to move on from Cobb because you think we're hard up at WR. It's a popular opinion and I'm not knocking you for it. I just disagree *shrug*

Comparing Bradford and Cassell to Cobb is ridiculous. Reality is where I try to stay. Try it sometime

35 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

First, we need to get over this thought that Jordy 2018 is as good as Dez 2018. That's laughable. Dez is 29, Nelson is 32 with a repaired ACL. Dez is still a WR that teams cover with their No .1 CB. The Steelers covered Nelson with T.J. Watt last year.

Second, we made a run at Robinson, a highly paid WR. Someone who will cost much more than Dez.  

Third, we thought so much of Jordy that we didnt even offer him a decent pay cut as an option. GB didnt want Jordy back. You don't cut a player you want to keep if he will take a 75% pay cut to stay.

Fourth, we have like $16 million in cap even without extending Rodgers. You aren't carrying all that money over. We have money to spend. Spend it on a difference maker like Dez. 

First, Jordy being a MUCH better technical WR means his game ages extremely better. I would take 2018 Jordy over 2018 Dez in a heartbeat.

Second, did we really? How close on money was it? Either way a young guy that could be top end is different from a sloppy and slowing Dez.

Third, if they didn't want Nelson, I don't see why you'd want Dez.

4th after the rookie pool, most of that money will be gone.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

You can't really compare a QB to a WR.  I'd also point out that in the last 3 years, Sam Bradford has been a substantially better QB than Cobb has been a WR.  Randall Cobb is a very limited player who wouldn't start for most teams.  Slot WRs like Randall Cobb are a dime a dozen in the NLF and Randall Cobb isn't being paid like he's a star among WRs.

Why would a team sign up to pay Randall Cobb 10 million a year when they could have had Michael Crabtree without trading a pick?  Crabtree has 500 more yards and 11 more TDs in the last 3 years and has been a substantially better player.  He's making 7 million a year.  Randall Cobb isn't a better player simply because he's a Packer.  There are a plethora of WRs who have been SUBSTANTIALLY more productive over the last 3 years.

I'd love to move on from Randall Cobb because I think he's a mediocre talent with very little upside given his lack of athletic ability.  I also don't think slot WRs who do nothing more than play in the slot are as valuable as the guys on the outside.   The problem is we're backed into corner given the lack of talent we have at WR.  I'm of the belief that WR is the second most important position in our offense so we can't gut it regardless if Randall Cobb makes twice as much as he's worth. 

13 minutes ago, spilltray said:

First, Jordy being a MUCH better technical WR means his game ages extremely better. I would take 2018 Jordy over 2018 Dez in a heartbeat.

Second, did we really? How close on money was it? Either way a young guy that could be top end is different from a sloppy and slowing Dez.

Third, if they didn't want Nelson, I don't see why you'd want Dez.

4th after the rookie pool, most of that money will be gone.

The rookie pool is like $2.5 million. 

As for the rest, if you truly want Jordy over Dez, there is nothing further to discuss bc I can't even comprehend that argument in terms of what each player brings on the field. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

If you're concerned about cap space at WR, you sign Dez and cut Cobb. Dez will improve this offense in ways Cobb couldnt dream of. I'd rather have both but I want Breeland too and if cutting Cobb is required to get there (which wouldnt be necessary if we extend ARod), I'd cut Cobb before lunch.

Id rather keep Cobb and not sign Dez.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I don't put much into what the Packers thought of Nelson.  IMO that shows the ineptness of our front office more so than any negative towards Jordy Nelson.  This same front office that thought Cobb was one of the 10 best WRs in the NFL and we've had that ridiculous contract ever since. 

Just because Watt was on Nelson for ONE SNAP while he was in the slot doesn't mean he was covered by him for the Steelers game.  That comment just shows your extreme bias against Nelson.  When looking at their 2016 seasons, Jordy was a substantially more productive WR and he didn't benefit from being the only quality WR on the team.  I'm all for signing Bryant but lets not get carried away, Bryant hasn't been overly productive in the last 3 years. 

While Jordy does have an ACL injury, Dez has a substantial amount of wear and tear on his body that has resulted in him missing a substantial amount of games over the last 3 years (11).

Archived