Around the NFL

Forge

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

The problem I've had with Colin, it's not about him protesting, it's about him never actually having a plan. His protest started with him sitting during the anthem. He did that in week 1 of preseason. No one noticed. He did that in week 2. No one noticed. He did it again in week 3, someone finally noticed. He didn't step up and voice his message until someone put him on the spot and questioned as to why he was sitting during the anthem. That's why I have a problem with his activism. It wasn't a planned action to draw attention to a cause. He was just a petulant child refusing to stand up for the anthem. He wasn't doing it to advance the debate. I don't think he really wanted to be part of the debate in the first place. If he did, he would have addressed it publicly before week 3, before he was put on the spot. He reactive, not proactive. And that's him in a nutshell. He has never been a leader, not of a football team, let alone of a nation-wide social movement. He's a child who needs his decisions to be made for him. He was lucky Eric Reid came in and told him to kneel instead. He never had a firm plan then, and I'm not surprised he doesn't have one now. I'm sure he still feels strongly about the social issues he supports, but he simply has no idea what he's doing. And now, it seems he doesn't care about football enough to just find different ways of supporting his causes than kneeling during the national anthem. That alone is enough for not wanting him on my team. He should just **** or get off the pot, at this point. He can't just hover between football and activism. He should choose one and give up the other, at least for the time being. So, if Kap is not a QB in the NFL, I can't really entirely blame the NFL. 

Ah yes, the classic he doesn't care about football enough because of his activism. You must choose one or the other!!!!!!

And find different ways of supporting his cause? You mean like donating a million dollars of his own and supporting countless causes? The NFL doesn't want ANY part of protest, kneeling or anything else. So even if he was to go in another route (and no guarantee he ever kneels again btw), that is not good enough. Goodell and the owners want it cut out completely. Those that speak up or act out in protest are either getting blackballed or shipped out (Petres/Bennett). And in Peters case, he's just too good not to be on a team so for the time being he's good. 

Seahawks cancel Kap's workout and sign Stephen Morris a few days later. L-O-L.....

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ah yes, the classic he doesn't care about football enough because of his activism. You must choose one or the other!!!!!!

I'm not saying he can't do both, I'm saying he doesn't know how to do both. If he simply said "I'm not going to kneel next year", he'd at least have a tryout. And any exposure given to him also draws attention to his causes, whether he says anything or not, at this point. This is still exposure. Him having his workout postponed is exposure. Good job, Colin. But is it perhaps a little short-lived? Are we going to talk about him for a week, then forget him until next offseason? Whereas, if he does get that workout (we talk about him for a week), then he gets a contract (we talk about him from now on, and at least throughout training camp), and perhaps comes into a game after an injury to Wilson. That's a lot more exposure of Colin Kaepernick, which, whether the NFL likes it or not, is exposure for his causes. All Colin had to do is say "I'm not going to kneel next year", and he at least had a shot at getting a contract. But if he can't even make that simple commitment, he loses exposure, and that's his own fault. I'm sure he could do both. Get a job in the NFL. Take on speaking engagements on the side. Donate money. Go into the community. Do all the things he's already doing, but while having a job in the NFL. All he was asked to do for the moment is to "have a firm plan". Was it so hard? I don't think so. So I maintain that he's shooting himself in the foot, and I'm not even sure it's for a principle. He just looks clueless.

It will go from do not kneel to do not do anything to express yourself in protest. Kneeling is just a "distraction" from the bigger point. They want EVERYTHING eliminated and will flex their muscles by blackballing those that do not oblige. They felt Kaepernick being out of a job last year will make him re-think things and give in to the protest. And end of the day, they very well can make sure he doesn't play another down in the league and will be just fine doing so. Heck, they want the protest to go away so bad they even offered to pay close to a $100 million for it to happen (Taking away from other charities btw). 

But when the ratings continue to dip and they can't blame the protests, then what? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

The RZ threat we are missing!!!!!

Will be interesting to see what he gets on the market. Will probably want around 10 million. Will a team give him that after the last few years of production? 

I will be honest I'd be ok if we signed him to a one year deal. 

I said it before - I have no issues signing him. I had no interest in trading for him. I'd like to see us make a play for him. He may be nothing more than a possession receiver at this point, but he's a big bodied target in the red zone that could help (though I  believe he was woefully inefficient in this regard last year, but hard to say if that's him, Dak, missing Zeke, etc). 

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The RZ threat we are missing!!!!!

Will be interesting to see what he gets on the market. Will probably want around 10 million. Will a team give him that after the last few years of production? 

It's really interesting, because quite frankly, the receiver market has just been stupid. Our deal for Goodwin looks like an absolute steal in comparison, and I'm not even a huge Goodwin fan. So he possibly could get something like that...but then there are these times where the market is just not there for whatever reason (look at Jordan Matthews, EJ Gaines, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up somewhere on a one year deal for half that, especially given the last few years. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I said it before - I have no issues signing him. I had no interest in trading for him. I'd like to see us make a play for him. He may be nothing more than a possession receiver at this point, but he's a big bodied target in the red zone that could help (though I  believe he was woefully inefficient in this regard last year, but hard to say if that's him, Dak, missing Zeke, etc). 

Yeah, for some reasons he never could form a strong connection with Dak. With that said, I wouldn't mind.

19 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I would give Dez a Sherman-type contract in a heartbeat. Would likely need more guaranteed, though.

I don't expect him to get a contract he will like this late in free agency. I expect his contract with whatever team to be a short deal.

18 minutes ago, Geek said:

Bringing him here on 10 a year is infinitely better than bringing Beckham here on 20. 

Meh...honestly, at this point, there's a big enough difference between the two on the field that I would disagree with that. If you asked me straight up (without having to give up assets in a trade), who I would rather have, Dez at 10 or OBJ at 20, I'd take the latter in a heartbeat. Dez just isn't that great any more. His wheels have fallen off ever since the ankle injury. He's essentially a possession receiver #2 type and red zone target. OBJ is a game breaker wide receiver that can dictate what a defense has to do to account for him. Dez can get shut out by a teams #2 corner at this point on any given week. So especially with the space we have now and into the immediate future, I'll take the far superior player / production. If you think Dez is due to rebound at some point, I could understand wanting Dez, but he really hasn't been good since 2014...that's a long time, so no reason to suspect that to change. Besides, I can make up most of that lost 10 million in difference by cutting Beadles (3.5 saved), cutting Aldrick Robinson (2 million), Don Jones (about 1M), and maybe even Celek (1.4M, though it's a 1.2 dead cap hit, so it may be worth it just to keep him, though if you cut him I don't think you're losing a huge amount overall). You can cut all those guys, not affect your team on the field in the least. 

42 minutes ago, Geek said:

Bringing him here on 10 a year is infinitely better than bringing Beckham here on 20. 

There's also the issue of several draft picks to consider. It's 10 million and no picks to sign a FA and 20 million plus some high picks to sign OBJ.

Archived