Around the NFL

Forge

Sounds about right. You get yourself a top notch QB, despite how flawed the rest of the roster is, you have an outside chance of making some noise. We are tied at 11 with three or four other teams, but I'd put Carolina higher as well as Houston. Look at GB, that is not a great roster but they are top 5 just because of Rodgers. Not saying Garoppolo is on that level, but could be top 10 level of QB next season.

I expect a fairly aggressive free agency approach this season and if we do that to go along with a nice draft, could even be higher on that list.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sounds about right. You get yourself a top notch QB, despite how flawed the rest of the roster is, you have an outside chance of making some noise. We are tied at 11 with three or four other teams, but I'd put Carolina higher as well as Houston. Look at GB, that is not a great roster but they are top 5 just because of Rodgers. Not saying Garoppolo is on that level, but could be top 10 level of QB next season.

I expect a fairly aggressive free agency approach this season and if we do that to go along with a nice draft, could even be higher on that list.

I hope that we are aggressive in free agency. I don't need us to sign the top guy at every position of need, but I'd like one big FA signing, and then maybe some above average type guys who can actually still come in and start. 

Just from hearing Lynch on his radio interviews it was clear the type of plan they had this year in free agency. He said we targeted guys we really liked, but didn't want to go after the top guys just yet because the team wasn't ready to win. Obviously that changes with the Garoppolo trade. The team had some youngsters really step up and show some promise and now you go after proven players who take the team to the next level.

What is the best site to use to see this year's free agency class?

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just from hearing Lynch on his radio interviews it was clear the type of plan they had this year in free agency. He said we targeted guys we really liked, but didn't want to go after the top guys just yet because the team wasn't ready to win. Obviously that changes with the Garoppolo trade. The team had some youngsters really step up and show some promise and now you go after proven players who take the team to the next level.

I typically just use spotrac. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's kind of crazy for us to be that high up on the super bowl odds already. I mean, I'm pretty optimistic, but wow. 

Yeah, crazy. It's still middle of the pack. Honestly, I wouldn't mind putting a $20 on this. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So if Shurmur goes to the Cardinals, then one of the Vikings QBs will follow him right? Either Keenum/Bradford/Bridgewater. Also word is Fangio may join him there. Don't count out the Cards just yet.

And now there are reports that Fangio will stay in Chicago lol.

57 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I love this philosophy.  You can add in a few solid free agents to help build a team. Especially if they're young.  I think you save the big bucks for a handful of guys that you know will put you over the top and make you a SB contender.

I saw a few lists of FAs we should target. Mostly they seem to be just throwing names out there.  But here they are anyway

One list had : Leveon Bell, Demarcus Lawrence, and Allen Robinson / Sammy Watkins

Other list had: Andrew Norwell, Jimmy Graham, Junior Gallette, Malcolm Butler and Sammy Watkins

Other list: Jimmy Graham, Alshon Jeffrey, Weston RIchburg, Demarcus Lawrence and Leveon Bell

Other list: (read this one yesterrday and can't find it again): I know it had Turmaine Johnson, Dionne Lewis and Weston Richburg on it

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not a bad FA class. Will have some guys that go below market value. 

Definitely not a bad class overall, though there are strong points and weak ones, and we still have to see who actually makes it to FA. Out of the interior line, there's not much at guard besides Norwell. I'd make a strong push for him. I'd like to bring Fusco back as insurance. I really think that we bring back Kilgore for center, so I don't know what kind of priority that would be in FA. Then I'd back that up with a draft pick on the interior. 

If we are going to pick up a wide receiver, I'd rather do that in FA / Trade, as I'm not impressed with this draft class at all for the most part. There are some nice pieces, and we could be a decent trade partner for Denver if they need to slash cap space to the quarterback they need to compete. I think that would make Sanders / DT potentially available, Talib at corner as well. I'd add Roby, but given only one year left on the deal, his age, I feel like that would be a harder deal to complete. 

Corner I'd prefer to double dip - sign a guy, draft a guy. There are some under market guys that could be had like Cockrell who aren't all that bad, and then there are some good rental type pieces. I'm fully in favor of grabbing Grimes on a two year deal. Then you have the younger studs. Then draft a guy in the middle rounds that we can work with. 

Running back I'm good with us addressing either way to be perfectly honest. There are some guys in FA I like, some guys in the draft. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Definitely not a bad class overall, though there are strong points and weak ones, and we still have to see who actually makes it to FA. Out of the interior line, there's not much at guard besides Norwell. I'd make a strong push for him. I'd like to bring Fusco back as insurance. I really think that we bring back Kilgore for center, so I don't know what kind of priority that would be in FA. Then I'd back that up with a draft pick on the interior. 

If we are going to pick up a wide receiver, I'd rather do that in FA / Trade, as I'm not impressed with this draft class at all for the most part. There are some nice pieces, and we could be a decent trade partner for Denver if they need to slash cap space to the quarterback they need to compete. I think that would make Sanders / DT potentially available, Talib at corner as well. I'd add Roby, but given only one year left on the deal, his age, I feel like that would be a harder deal to complete. 

Corner I'd prefer to double dip - sign a guy, draft a guy. There are some under market guys that could be had like Cockrell who aren't all that bad, and then there are some good rental type pieces. I'm fully in favor of grabbing Grimes on a two year deal. Then you have the younger studs. Then draft a guy in the middle rounds that we can work with. 

Running back I'm good with us addressing either way to be perfectly honest. There are some guys in FA I like, some guys in the draft. 

I've said a few times that I was surprised we didn't do more last year to address CB.  I'm really glad Witherspoon had starteed to look promising.  But I think we almost have to couble dip next year, and still even consider moving Ward back.  Given the need for 3 or 4 dbacks these days we are woefully lacking in talent at that position.

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

My goodness is the Jaguars defense vicious. So many of their top players on defense are free agent additions. Campbell/Boyue/Jackson/Church/Gipson/Posluszny and then obviously they traded for Dareus. 

I can't believe we put up 44 on them. 

Archived