Around the NFL

Forge

4 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

The other thing is our cap situation clearly benefits the niners to front load any deal. So even if you dont think he's getting 30 per, i'd say its pretty likely he gets really close to that mark these first couple years of the deal, to maybe a point where it averages out at a little more than Carr's deal (25m/per). 

That's pretty much what I was saying. Averaging a little more than Carr is something that wouldn't surprise me, and yes, our current cap situation would make it a lot easier to hit the average over the course of his contract, while allowing us to have him at a lower cap hit in the latter years of it. I've already suggested a couple of templates for a Jimmy deal, and the first year was at or over 35m, with the last couple of years being near or under 20m. I'm okay with a deal averaging a little over what Carr got, as it might be a bargain by the end of the deal.

I don't think we'll see QB salaries top up at 30m this offseason. Of course, the Browns would have to overpay, but will they, if they expect to draft a QB 1st or 4th overall? What teams does that leave? Denver, Buffalo, NYJ and Jacksonville if they can get out of Bortles' fifth year? Denver is in a position to draft a QB as well, and have a bit of a cap situation. Are they really going to spend 30m on a QB? Buffalo has to get a FA QB, because they likely miss out on the top QBs in the draft, but are they even on Cousins' short list? The Jets also have the draft option. I don't think the QBs have the leverage to get 30m. Luck and Carr got their contracts with their own teams, because they were young and promising. Flacco did as well. How often do we see QBs hit free agency and get the record deal? We see it at other positions, but not at QB, do we? If the Redskins do not believe Cousins is worth 25m, chances are other teams won't either, and they will use all the leverage they can get not to give it to him. 

So it basically came down to what Smith wanted. Chiefs like the Niners did right by him....Of course, the Chiefs still came out pretty damn good with their trade.

Cowherd is reporting Cousins to the Broncos is close. Obviously free agency hasn't technically started, but all the tea leaves are pointing this way. There is a reason the Broncos keep making guys like Talib available. They wanted Smith or Cousins and will have a good shot at the latter.

Come on Lynch, get on the phone with Elway and make it happen!

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So it basically came down to what Smith wanted. Chiefs like the Niners did right by him....Of course, the Chiefs still came out pretty damn good with their trade.

Cowherd is reporting Cousins to the Broncos is close. Obviously free agency hasn't technically started, but all the tea leaves are pointing this way. There is a reason the Broncos keep making guys like Talib available. They wanted Smith or Cousins and will have a good shot at the latter.

Come on Lynch, get on the phone with Elway and make it happen!

I like that the Chiefs did right by him. Alex, for all his faults, has always been a class act and stand up dude / good soldier type. He doesn't deserve to be crapped on the way he has been through a lot of his career. 

Yeah, the Cousins thing better not be true - the tampering charges would have to be pretty severe this early, right? lol. I mean, not even the legal tampering phase is close to starting. 

But I agree that largely, this is good news. They really need to clear out space if they want to get Cousins and clear up the offensive line. This would make Nelson a near lock at #5 I have to imagine, unless they trade out of the spot. But we should be in on this. Grab Sanders and Talib on the cheap. I'd prefer both, would settle for one lol

It doesn't say that Cousins is close to signing a deal, just that everything the Broncos are doing seems to point to them wanting to sign a free agent QB. Why else would you be trying to clear cap space if you're the Broncos? I think it's hard to prevent teams and players to show a mutual interest, but that doesn't mean they've been negotiating illegally.

33 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Yikes. The Browns might actually draft wisely this time...not that they have made truly terrible picks lately, but I give McCloughan a lot of credit for our drafts before Baalke 'got clever'. :$

Now theres a report he's not hired by the browns and still doing his private scouting service. Who knows what's going on, the browns have a strange leaky FO

7 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Yikes. The Browns might actually draft wisely this time...not that they have made truly terrible picks lately, but I give McCloughan a lot of credit for our drafts before Baalke 'got clever'. :$

I've never been overly impressed with McCloughan's drafts. He did okay in Washington, I suppose. But the really good 49er drafts were Nolan as he was the GM. McCloughan seems to be a decent talent evaluator, but it's hard to say whom and what he's actually been responsible for. 

Archived