Around the NFL

Forge

3 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Looks like Cleveland attempted to trade for Alex too...lol I guess no one likes to trade with Cleveland, that or they gave Alex a choice on where he would rather go

Most likely the latter. Because if I'm the Chiefs, I simply ask for a first rounder in the near future. They're probably still top 10 in 2019, right?

Yeah so Jags are gonna have to let people walk if they want a shot at Kirk. But they could do it. You just aren't gonna be able to resign AR15. Also the following starters are also UFA: Paul Pozlunsky, Aaron Colvin, Marquis Lee and Patrick Omameh. Colvin, Lee and AR15 are going to command a lot. Even with the cap increase, signing a draft class, signing Kirk at what I would guess is around 30 million per year and resigning Lee, Colvin and AR15 is going to be very hard without cutting other starters. 

They have some moves they can make to free up more cap space: Hurns has no cap hit if he's released, despite 7 million per year salary, Ivory, Parnell and Church are all making a fair amount too...and they could all be released without a cap hit. Going to be interesting to see what happens. But they also have to plan for guys like Yannick Ngakoue becoming a UFA after 2019.

19 minutes ago, John232 said:

Here's to hoping Kirk goes to Jacksonville. Means AR will be released to make room for Cousins, also Denver will likely go QB first if they can't get Kirk. 

I'm hoping he goes to Denver. If he goes to Denver, they have to create cap space because they still need an offensive line to protect him. That means selling off higher paid players at a discount who are still playing at really good levels. Talib. Roby. Harris. Sanders. DT. We have a great relationship with Denver...my hope is that we can parlay this into good things for us lol. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Interesting. Norman/Peters duo would be damn good. 

The chiefs wouldnt' end up making any money, but at the same time, it would slide it to a position where they really need help at so it's not overlapping assets like they were with the money in the quarterback spot with Mahomes just sitting there. They are in a better position with 17 million being spent on Norman than they are with 17 million being spent on Smith. They still have other money that they can get off the books as well (Derrick Johnson, Hali) as well. 

Just now, Forge said:

I'm hoping he goes to Denver. If he goes to Denver, they have to create cap space because they still need an offensive line to protect him. That means selling off higher paid players at a discount who are still playing at really good levels. Talib. Roby. Harris. Sanders. DT. We have a great relationship with Denver...my hope is that we can parlay this into good things for us lol. 

ehhh..i'd rather have the shot at AR15 than any of those guys mentioned.

Talib is the goner too and so they'll hold onto Roby. I would prefer the talib deal too, his contract is done after the 2019 season so we don't have to worry about messing up with a bad long term contract from an aging player. DT and Sanders are intriguing, but doesn't seem like they'd fit. 

Also, the Jags getting Kirk makes them way scarier imo. 

Just now, John232 said:

ehhh..i'd rather have the shot at AR15 than any of those guys mentioned.

Talib is the goner too and so they'll hold onto Roby. I would prefer the talib deal too, his contract is done after the 2019 season so we don't have to worry about messing up with a bad long term contract from an aging player. DT and Sanders are intriguing, but doesn't seem like they'd fit. 

Also, the Jags getting Kirk makes them way scarier imo. 

Yeah, I just tried to run some numbers for the Jags...I got them up to 44 million in space, but that wouldn't be enough for Cousins (even at a discounted first year on the base salary to lower the cap hit) + Robinson + draft class + potential resignings or free agent signings to replace the guys they are losing. They can't do Cousins + Robinson I think...if they did, they'd be really hard up. Theyd have to get Robinson on a longer term deal to spread out the cap hit, otherwise They'd have to trade Dareus (a large chunk of his base is guaranteed, so cutting him isn't enough)

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I just tried to run some numbers for the Jags...I got them up to 44 million in space, but that wouldn't be enough for Cousins (even at a discounted first year on the base salary to lower the cap hit) + Robinson + draft class + potential resignings or free agent signings to replace the guys they are losing. They can't do Cousins + Robinson I think...if they did, they'd be really hard up. Theyd have to get Robinson on a longer term deal to spread out the cap hit, otherwise They'd have to trade Dareus (a large chunk of his base is guaranteed, so cutting him isn't enough)

Yeah. They could do it, but it isn't worth it for what they'd have to give up. You have to give up AR and hope you can resign Lee at a lower hit. If you build around Cole, Lee and Westbrook..it's not bad tbh. Throw in Hurns too and it's solid. (still think they cut him though, regardless)

Cousins will be in Minnesota next year, book it. 

NFC is stacked with QBs next year if that happens. Rodgers, Brees, Garoppolo, Smith, cousins, wentz, cam, ryan, Stafford, goff .. that's a pretty strong crop of QBs 

Archived