Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

On 11/28/2019 at 7:30 AM, vike daddy said:

it's ok... just keep putting time in to it, you'll get it eventually.

Two coats on over the weekend.  One final skim and sand, and the mudding will be done.

Then i have to figure out how to apply that orange peel texture, since it's on both walls i did the mudding on.

BTW 20 min mud is a PITA.  Yeah it dries fast, but it also dries fast.  Can't mix more than enough for 2-3 seams at a time.  I felt like i spent half my time cleaning my tools and buckets, 1/4 time mixing the crap, and 1/4 of the time actually mudding.

18 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Good news, everyone.  I just checked and can confirm that, thanks to the layout of my basement and where the door and TV will be, I will be able to pee while watching TV.  This is, of course, revolutionary.  No more pausing. 

Wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to load up on mason jars?

10 hours ago, theJ said:

BTW 20 min mud is a PITA.  Yeah it dries fast, but it also dries fast.  Can't mix more than enough for 2-3 seams at a time.  I felt like i spent half my time cleaning my tools and buckets, 1/4 time mixing the crap, and 1/4 of the time actually mudding.

you can also buy 45 minute hot mud, even 90 minute hot mud.

a 20 minute mix is, yes, too fast setting for an inexperienced person to get used to right off the bat.

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

you can also buy 45 minute hot mud, even 90 minute hot mud.

a 20 minute mix is, yes, too fast setting for an inexperienced person to get used to right off the bat.

Yeah i had some 60 min from a previous job that i used first.  That was fine.  A co-working had some 20 min that he gave me, and i couldn't say no to the price.

In retrospect, i probably would have been better off just buying some more 60 or 90 min.  

But, it's done now.  And i think for the most part it looks good.  Next i need to apply the orange peel texture to match the existing wall, prime and paint.  Almost there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So has anyone really ever used Flex Seal as means to waterproof a basement (for lack of a better term)? I was researching products to use to seal it after some cleanup and this came up with decent reviews. They just said it smelled horrible and to the in ventilated areas which my area isn't. Just asking for opinions. Thanks

On 18/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, JTagg7754 said:

So has anyone really ever used Flex Seal as means to waterproof a basement (for lack of a better term)? I was researching products to use to seal it after some cleanup and this came up with decent reviews. They just said it smelled horrible and to the in ventilated areas which my area isn't. Just asking for opinions. Thanks

Never.

And especially not since an imaginary driver from one of the NASCAR teams became my nemesis and just randomly punted me out of nowhere.

Which tbh is what Flex Seal stands for with Chastain at the wheel.  It's not even inaccurate.  I can't say i've ever used the product, and the i can't say i ever will.  Guarantee there's a better product out there for what you want though.  Probably.

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Never.

And especially not since an imaginary driver from one of the NASCAR teams became my nemesis and just randomly punted me out of nowhere.

Which tbh is what Flex Seal stands for with Chastain at the wheel.  It's not even inaccurate.  I can't say i've ever used the product, and the i can't say i ever will.  Guarantee there's a better product out there for what you want though.  Probably.

I mean I don't disagree something better exists it's just I never thought of using a "made for TV" product for this task lol. I never thought of it until I started reading reviews. I trust y'all fools so I figured I'd pose the question here and see what came up.

7 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I mean I don't disagree something better exists it's just I never thought of using a "made for TV" product for this task lol. I never thought of it until I started reading reviews. I trust y'all fools so I figured I'd pose the question here and see what came up.

I've legit never used it.  I always thought it was a gag tbh.

Maybe it works?