Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Who’s ever mounted a sink to the wall before? Because I don’t want to build something to support a 75 lb cast iron sink if I don’t want to, but I don’t know if I trust some L brackets to hold it.

I once threw a sink against a wall. 

19 hours ago, Daniel said:

Who’s ever mounted a sink to the wall before? Because I don’t want to build something to support a 75 lb cast iron sink if I don’t want to, but I don’t know if I trust some L brackets to hold it.

Yeah an L bracket isn't going to hold a 75 lb sink. Does the sink come with manufacturers instructions on how to mount?

On 11/15/2019 at 3:33 PM, ET80 said:

No, it missed my roommate (the intended target) and broke the wall, which exposed some pipes.

Roommate was crafty, grabbed the pipe. I had to counter with a shower rod. 

I have my popcorn. Can you finish the story?

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 4:11 PM, Daniel said:

Usually you would use angle iron or open the wall to mount studs to hang it.

10 hours ago, theJ said:

Yeah an L bracket isn't going to hold a 75 lb sink. Does the sink come with manufacturers instructions on how to mount?

No, it’s a cast iron sink from 1912.

1 hour ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Usually you would use angle iron or open the wall to mount studs to hang it.

We did both, just to be sure. The wall mounting studs that were available just didn’t look trustworthy.

On 11/6/2019 at 8:28 AM, vike daddy said:

well, should you just hire a drywall taper? the charge for making that clean should be... about $75.

Finally had time this weekend to get all the pieces cut and installed.  Now to procrastinate on the mudding (probably start later this week).

On 11/17/2019 at 9:05 AM, vike daddy said:

wall mounted sinks always, always, always must make use of their accompanying wall bracket. you can't substitute something else, unless you basically make a duplicate bracket.

Well, since the sink is 107 years old, there wasn’t an accompanying bracket in the box.

We doubled it up, and bolted it to the studs in two places, with liquid nails for good measure. It’s secure now.

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

actually i take that back. you really should hire someone. it won't cost that much.

What's the fun in that?

Besides, if i screw it up too bad, i can just cut it out another 6" to either side and then hire someone out.