Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

22 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Have you tried hiring Birds, via an nice bird feeder setup?  Just 'cause you feed them, ain't mean they don't want a grub for desert.  And the more birds you can lure to hang around your house...the more grubs will get eated usually.

I've never observed the birds having any interest in the lawn.  We get quite a few, being right next to a big metropark.  But i never really see them feasting on the lawn.

Just the damn moles...

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

I've never observed the birds having any interest in the lawn.  We get quite a few, being right next to a big metropark.  But i never really see them feasting on the lawn.

Just the damn moles...

Blow up the metropark then imo.  It's clearly the source of all evil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

?

I don't know what turkeys eat, other than my black raspberries.  It's a good question.

Well i love Raspberrys and i hate grubs.  So i hope your situation clears up.

But it sounds like you need more Magpies.  I got spares if you want.

26 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Well i love Raspberrys and i hate grubs.  So i hope your situation clears up.

But it sounds like you need more Magpies.  I got spares if you want.

Send em over.  Do they carry messages too?  Or is that only the pigeon version?

My toilet started making noise over the weekend, just a consistent dripping noise and occasionally what sounded like a flush although the toilet itself didn't flush. Bought and installed a new flapper and now it's silent again. 

I think I'm ready for a more advanced project now. 

1 hour ago, skywindO2 said:

My toilet started making noise over the weekend, just a consistent dripping noise and occasionally what sounded like a flush although the toilet itself didn't flush. Bought and installed a new flapper and now it's silent again. 

I think I'm ready for a more advanced project now. 

You can also adjust the flapper though.

Question fellas! I'm looking to do a 10 x 18 addition to my home that would be adding on to the kitchen. It would roughly double my kitchen size and allow for a nice, big island and area for a table. Also looking at taking out 45 inches of wall that separates the kitchen and living room to be more open. The addition will have a ton of windows, almost like a sunroom. Off the addition will be a 10 x 10 porch. Now, my question is; Do yall think it's a better idea to build the addition, or just try to find another house? I have $70k+ in equity in my current home that will partially be used to finance the addition with the goal of paying it off with 5 years.

30 minutes ago, one_of_a_kind24 said:

Do yall think it's a better idea to build the addition, or just try to find another house?

Buying another house has a lot of costs and unknowns. First you have to find the exact house/kitchen you want, then you have to beat out others who might want it. There are realtor costs, taxes, fix- up of the current home and uncertainty over timing that will all conspire to cost more than the addition

If you like everything else about your current home, then do the addition. End result is exactly what you want, where you want it. I'd also look at any other modifications you might want - you'd already have the building permit and the construction crew there. Better bathroom, bigger garage, man cave, Tree House, re-paint the master etc.

one man's opinion

51 minutes ago, one_of_a_kind24 said:

Question fellas! I'm looking to do a 10 x 18 addition to my home that would be adding on to the kitchen. It would roughly double my kitchen size and allow for a nice, big island and area for a table. Also looking at taking out 45 inches of wall that separates the kitchen and living room to be more open. The addition will have a ton of windows, almost like a sunroom. Off the addition will be a 10 x 10 porch. Now, my question is; Do yall think it's a better idea to build the addition, or just try to find another house? I have $70k+ in equity in my current home that will partially be used to finance the addition with the goal of paying it off with 5 years.

if its just because of the kitchen, then no

if its for other reasons, yes

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

If you like everything else about your current home, then do the addition. End result is exactly what you want, where you want it. I'd also look at any other modifications you might want - you'd already have the building permit and the construction crew there. Better bathroom, bigger garage, man cave, Tree House, re-paint the master etc.

one man's opinion

I'm fine with the master bedroom size, my son's room and pretty much everything else. We finished the downstairs room into a large 4th bedroom, so we have 2 guest rooms now. The other things we want to do is clear and fence in a bigger part of our property and have an outdoor entertainment area. Also, we want a bigger shower in the master bath, but that's about it.

I've already made a few calls to some contractors and set up some estimates. By doing some research online, I'm expecting the addition to be at least $100/sqft.

6 hours ago, one_of_a_kind24 said:

Location location location.  

Do you like where you live now?  Or would you be happier in the alternative location???