Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

how did you fasten the sink itself to the bracket?

Well, the sink has two little tabs on the back, so we set those within the brackets we could get, and screwed those into the studs in the wall.  To make it doubly secure, my dad welded some angle iron together, and we bolted it through the little peg leg things at the bottom, then lined it up to the studs, drilled holes in the metal, and screwed it to the wall with concrete screws, after we filled up the rim with liquid nails and pressed it to the surface of the wall.

It's secure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malfatron said:

Our garage door had to be removed  and we need to cover the resulting hole until we can replace it.

suggestions?

mostly concerned about excess mice

i was thinking a tarp

Tarp or some plastic wrap roll would both work. Secure it with painters tape on the trim and then duct tape over the painters tape so as not to damage the paint would be my suggestion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Well, the sink has two little tabs on the back, so we set those within the brackets we could get, and screwed those into the studs in the wall.  To make it doubly secure, my dad welded some angle iron together, and we bolted it through the little peg leg things at the bottom, then lined it up to the studs, drilled holes in the metal, and screwed it to the wall with concrete screws, after we filled up the rim with liquid nails and pressed it to the surface of the wall.

It's secure.

very much so. carry on.

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

Our automatic  garage door had to be removed  and we need to cover the resulting hole until we can replace it.

suggestions?

i was thinking a tarp

I'm betting you'll routinely find the tarp loose by one or two corners every day or two.  

Big long scientific explanation boiled down to this - big tarp = big force over the entire surface, and tape only holds a little force.

Also, mice laugh at your tape job.  

But, there's really no better way.  Give it a shot, and expedite that new garage door.

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

yes.... but how many years do you want to spend on this project...?

My wife isn't barking yet, so i'm thinking i can comfortably get away with a year from start of project (May 2019).  So i have a few more months. ;)

No really i'm planning on doing it this week.  I'll post some pictures so you can grade my work.

2 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Our automatic  garage door had to be removed  and we need to cover the resulting hole until we can replace it.

suggestions?

i was thinking a tarp

52 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Good call. I will put a no trespassing sticker on it :)

If the mice can’t read, I doubt it does any good.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'm betting you'll routinely find the tarp loose by one or two corners every day or two.  

Big long scientific explanation boiled down to this - big tarp = big force over the entire surface, and tape only holds a little force.

Also, mice laugh at your tape job.  

But, there's really no better way.  Give it a shot, and expedite that new garage door.

im sure i will get some mice

hell, i get mice if i had a working garage door.

I ended up using a tarp and bungee cords. it will do for the time being.

takes 2 weeks to get another garage door ordered