RUMOR: DARNOLD FOLLOWED STANTON ON INSTA

mistakey

14 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Did he though? Fisher needed work and he's developed into a good LT. The next 9 picks in that draft?

Luke Joeckel, Dion Jordan, Lane Johnson, Ziggy Ansah, Barkevious Mingo, Jonathan Cooper, Tavon Austin, Dee Millner, Chance Warmack.

The only pick you could argue to be better is Lane Johnson, who is playing RT. It was a bad draft and Dorsey made a good pick.

I was trying to workout who goes 1st overall in a redraft of 2013. 

maybe Travis Kelce. 

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I don’t get smoke screening when you have no1. 

who you trying to fool, Hue? JIMMY? 

It is possible that it is to set (keep?) a precedent in place for those years where you do not hold the number 1 pick. Remain unpredictable, even in the years where you do not have to/it serves no purpose, and it remains hard for folks to figure out what you are doing in the years where it does matter. 

14 minutes ago, pscottdai said:

It is possible that it is to set (keep?) a precedent in place for those years where you do not hold the number 1 pick. Remain unpredictable, even in the years where you do not have to/it serves no purpose, and it remains hard for folks to figure out what you are doing in the years where it does matter. 

Maybe, does it really hurt to say it is between Darnold and Baker at this stage? I don't think you actually lose ground, and it helps the other teams set their boards so ou could actually do business at 4 now. 

3 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

How is Darnold 6-6 when he hasn’t even lost 6 games in his entire career?

I didn't realize he didn't start the 1st 3 games last year, usually even a walk on will start if they are good enough :D

So 6-4 against top 25 teams (final) with lesser stats than Mayfield against top 25 teams

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

That's the type of superficial analysis that only the very best of boxscore scouting will get you.

That's all I'm reading. Results mean nothing it's only the eye test, I get it. Darnold was great this year against tOSU and Baker wasn't very good even though results and stats, like turnovers and TDs say otherwise.

Darnold makes some amazing throws. It's easy to like him. To believe he did better against the Buckeyes than Mayfield this past year is silly. Mayfield made a bunch of quick accurate passes which is a negative because in the NFL the average pass travels 35 yards. Oh wait, that isn't even close to being true. Most throws are inside of 10 yards.

20 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I didn't realize he didn't start the 1st 3 games last year, usually even a walk on will start if they are good enough :D

So 6-4 against top 25 teams (final) with lesser stats than Mayfield against top 25 teams

Sure, as a rFR and rSO as opposed to a rJR and rSR.

One is 20, the other is 23.  Kinda hard to ignore that when discussing their production and level of play right now.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

I was trying to workout who goes 1st overall in a redraft of 2013. 

maybe Travis Kelce. 

That was such a bad draft. The fact that Dorsey got Fisher, Kelce, and to an extent Knile Davis out of it is pretty darn good.

Outside of Kelce, one could argue for Rhodes, Bell, Trufant, or Hopkins. But with the Chiefs trading Albert the following year, Fisher was the pick we needed/nailed at the time.

34 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

That's all I'm reading. Results mean nothing it's only the eye test, I get it. Darnold was great this year against tOSU and Baker wasn't very good even though results and stats, like turnovers and TDs say otherwise.

When you argue this point though you seemingly overlook every other relative factor, such as the surrounding offensive talent.  Darnold was running for his life with his terrible OL and zero receiving targets getting open.  Baker played with far more talent in a very good offensive scheme for college.

Baker was jockeying a thoroughbred, Darnold was dragging a worn out pack mule across the finish line.

Darnold makes some amazing throws. It's easy to like him. To believe he did better against the Buckeyes than Mayfield this past year is silly.

Agreed, but again, you’re leaving out the context.

Mayfield made a bunch of quick accurate passes which is a negative because in the NFL the average pass travels 35 yards. Oh wait, that isn't even close to being true. Most throws are inside of 10 yards.

Absolutely right, which is why I like him too. Baker can also make the 35 yard throws as well.

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sure, as a rFR and rSO as opposed to a rJR and rSR.

One is 20, the other is 23.  Kinda hard to ignore that when discussing their production and level of play right now.

Darnold has thrown more passes (I think around 100) than Allen has counting high school and college and I don't hear anyone excusing Allen's play because of experience or age. Darnold has played QB since a sophomore in high school and started 2 years (injured one) in High school and red shirted his freshman year in college and then started most of the other 2 years at USC. Yeah he has experience to gain going to the pros, they all do. I don't think his experience level hindered his play this past season though, as a college player. We've seen quarterbacks win national championships with just a couple starts under their belt. He played well and knew what he was doing. Same as Rosen and Mayfield.

14 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Darnold has thrown more passes (I think around 100) than Allen has counting high school and college and I don't hear anyone excusing Allen's play because of experience or age.

Then you’re not listening I guess because I think he’s the one player almost universally that people feel needs time to develop.  And when did atttempts become the sole measure of experience?  Allen had an extra year in college learning defenses, how to make reads, route trees etc. All of that stuff adds up as well. 

No one is “excusing” Darnold’s play, he just set the school record for passing yards at USC for Christ’s sake, it’s not like he was bad.  I’m simply saying he’s not nearly the finished product at 20 that a 22 year old 5th year senior with 4 years of playing experience and a redshirt should be. There has to be some accounting for the expected growth there.

Darnold has played QB since a sophomore in high school and started 2 years (injured one) in High school and red shirted his freshman year in college and then started most of the other 2 years at USC. Yeah he has experience to gain going to the pros, they all do.

Absolutely, who’s arguing they won’t?

I don't think his experience level hindered his play this past season though, as a college player.

No one is saying that.  I’m saying his lack of comparable experience is why he didn’t looks as polished as the guy 2+ years older with far more experience both playing the position in general as well as college.

We've seen quarterbacks win national championships with just a couple starts under their belt.

What does this have to do with this discussion? Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. There’s another relatively irrelevant fact.

He played well and knew what he was doing. Same as Rosen and Mayfield.

In a black and white world, sure, but that’s not reality, there’s varying degrees of “knowing what you’re doing”.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Then you’re not listening I guess because I think he’s the one player almost universally that people feel needs time to develop.  And when did atttempts become the sole measure of experience?  Allen had an extra year in college learning defenses, how to make reads, route trees etc. All of that stuff adds up as well. 

No one is “excusing” Darnold’s play, he just set the school record for passing yards at USC for Christ’s sake, it’s not like he was bad.  I’m simply saying he’s not nearly the finished product at 20 that a 22 year old 5th year senior with 4 years of playing experience and a redshirt should be. There has to be some accounting for the expected growth there.

Absolutely, who’s arguing they won’t?

No one is saying that.  I’m saying his lack of comparable experience is why he didn’t looks as polished as the guy 2+ years older with far more experience both playing the position in general as well as college.

What does this have to do with this discussion? Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. There’s another relatively irrelevant fact.

In a black and white world, sure, but that’s not reality, there’s varying degrees of “knowing what you’re doing”.

You sound grumpy today ?.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

That was such a bad draft. The fact that Dorsey got Fisher, Kelce, and to an extent Knile Davis out of it is pretty darn good.

Outside of Kelce, one could argue for Rhodes, Bell, Trufant, or Hopkins. But with the Chiefs trading Albert the following year, Fisher was the pick we needed/nailed at the time.

How do you rate Dorsey as a GM?

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No one is saying that.

I came home from work and guzzled some Brandy, I think I know what I'm talking about.

Seriously, I'm pretty toasted.

I mean, seriously, Darnold is young, turns 21 soon and will probably become an alcoholic who drinks during the week like some loser. I think he can play right away in the NFL. It has a lot more to do with ability and knowing the position than it does with age. Darnold has the ability and he understand the position. Tyrod is almost certainly starting for us no matter who we draft so it is inconsequential but I don't think he is some QB moron that doesn't understand what the position is all about. I would have no problem with Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield being drafted and starting day one for my team or whatever team it may be. Maybe one guy ends up better than the others but in my opinion they should all be capable of producing at a good rookie level. I have nothing against Darnold, I will be thrilled if we draft any realistic QB but Allen at #1. I just don't like the excuses for any Darnold flaw and the exaggerated weaknesses of Mayfield. You are in the same boat, I think you are Darnold #1 guy but understand there are a few decent prospects. Any of the three can fail and any of the three can be a top 5 QB in a couple years. Those that are sure that Darnold is going to be great and Mayfield is going to be a joke irritate me and I let it get to me as evidenced by my posts.

The "eye test" garbage really irritates me. Like that is a real thing. The eye test ALWAYS includes eye bias. Production has variables but it is still honest and unbiased. You can never switch the variables with another player so there is no disputing anything. I could say Colt McCoy would have been Tom Brady if the Patriots drafted him and no one could prove me wrong.

@Thomas5737 I don't think most people believe Mayfield will fail. Rather, a lot of people's debates are centered around the whole floor/ceiling concept. Personally, in short, I think Mayfield is better right now, but Darnold has more room for growth, and he feels, to me, like a better fit for this Browns team. I still am intrigued by Baker, but I don't wanna pass up a chance for Darnold.

Archived