RUMOR: DARNOLD FOLLOWED STANTON ON INSTA

mistakey

4 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@Thomas5737 I don't think most people believe Mayfield will fail. Rather, a lot of people's debates are centered around the whole floor/ceiling concept. Personally, in short, I think Mayfield is better right now, but Darnold has more room for growth, and he feels, to me, like a better fit for this Browns team. I still am intrigued by Baker, but I don't wanna pass up a chance for Darnold.

Yeah I just don't like that argument. Darnold could become the GOAT ore he could flame out quickly. Anything than can't be learned should determine floors and ceilings and that gives Allen the highest ceiling and I wouldn't touch him in the first round. The great ones usually aren't great because of their physical abilities (ceilings), obviously they have the physical abilities but circumstances and variables that can't be known prior to them playing in the league factor in greatly. No one thought Brady would be great. No one thought Brees would be great. Everyone thought Peyton would be great. Everyone thought Luck would be great, most thought RGIII would be great, most thought Bridgewater would be really good. It is a guessing game. Darnold has legitimate strengths. So does Rosen and Mayfield. Maybe Rudolph will be great. Floors and ceilings are fun and I use them but if Mayfield ends up better than Brees (not saying he will) he way surpassed most people's projected ceiling of him and if Darnold ends up as Jake Locker (not saying he will) he finished way below the floor most people expect of him and they are real possibilities, however unlikely. Therefore floors and ceilings aren't a real thing, they are fun to play with but still not a real thing.

Realistically with their abilities and what they did in major college games Rosen, Mayfield and Darnold project to good pro prospects. Doesn't mean any will or won't pan out but they all have a chance to be great or busts. Allen might be the best of the bunch and I'm a hypocrite for hoping we don't draft him in the 1st but we are entitled to our opinions and mine is that there isn't an obvious best QB prospect from this draft. Those that want to believe someone has a higher ceiling because they are younger or of some other non-physical ability are just guessing to be honest and while they can guess there isn't a real ceiling. A CB with a high ceiling means he has the physical tools. Same with any position besides QB for some reason, with QB it seems it is whoever you like the most not who has the best physical tools and those are really the only things that are certain. There is no way Rosen ends up with a better arm than Allen but Allen can surpass Rosen in any non-physical aspect because there is no certainty there which is why Allen should always have the highest ceiling even though we have good reason to believe he won't reach it. If every QB in this draft played the position perfectly Allen or Jackson would have the highest ceiling. They can do things physically the others can not.

5 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Remember, he also said he likes Guice better than  Barkley. Maybe he means that, but that is one hell of a bold statement. You have to admit the possibility that Scott says these things as a form of misdirection to the public. 

There are many scouts that have Guice as the number 1 RB in terms of being a runner, but Barkley being the number 1 offensive weapon RB/WR out of the backfield.... so I don't think two public statements about this year's class are enough to believe he's doing some elaborate misdirection game as many of these comments and opinions were given well before Dorsey was even an inkling of a hire even if we believe Jimmy talked to Dorsey mid-season.

Plus, how do we know that the majority of scouts actually prefer Baker?

I never said the majority of scouts prefer Mayfield... I said that Dorsey may "selectively" use the opinion of those in the organization that affirm/confirm his view/opinion. GMs do this all the time as there will always be people who will naturally share your opinion, you can hire in a group of people that share your opinion, and there are others that will go along with your opinion to keep a job.... etc.. Specifically, I said " will he go with his opinion and a select group of scouting lieutenants and personnel with the organization that affirm his view (McCloughan..his number 2, Highsmith his number 4, the personnel guys/scouts he hired from KC, the scouts on the Browns who happen he didn't hire trying to stick around, the scouts on the Browns he didn't hire that honestly prefer Mayfield, The Analytics Dept with Paul Depodesta and Ken Kovash generating reports that Baker is the clear number 1) has put a number of people in key positions "

I'd say the majority of  scouts prefer Darnold, but in terms of key decision makers with more power, they prefer Mayfield (Dorsey, McCloughan, Highsmith, the scouts/college personnel director Dorsey hired from KC)... GMs do this all the time by hiring in guys that see things similar to themselves, there will then naturally be people in the dept. that see things the same, and then there will be others that go along for job survival reasons.

Is the group of Darnold people still the majority in the room? I don't know... there are tactics to reshape the direction of consensus like he one's mentioned.

Again, maybe the consensus is Darnold at this point in the process, but it's not something that can just be taken as a given.

And, again, your intel came like a month ago, from an ex-scout (or something along those lines) who works for an ENTIRELY different organization. 

Absolutely, and things have been completely in the dark for a long while... and the original info like always came with the caveat that it could be some of the most elegant and detailed misinfo... but there was enough there to where I have no reasons as to not rely on the default information, especially since Baker has absolutely killed the process in the eyes of evaluators from the Senior Bowl to the combine, to Pro Day, to the Private Workouts...etc.... So, of course it could be an out of date belief.. but there's been no info out there to sway my opinion and in fact info on Darnold (supposedly not being stellar on the chalk board at the combine) goes in the opposite direction toward Mayfield.. But Maybe Darnold made back some ground in the private visits, private pro day meeting, etc...

On top of all that, choosing Mayfield at 1 would be a bigger surprise than Mahomes, a bigger surprise than Jeockel, and really anything else that Dorsey's ever done. I am a very gullible person, and I believe your intel, but I also have to question truly how correct it is, one month after you received it. A LOT could have happened.

That the pick would be surprising means nothing... this happens in every draft in the top 5.

I question whether the info is correct as well...always have.. it all comes down to your own belief.. which is often motivated by the outcome one desires.... the thing is I desperately unlike any other prospect in the history of football besides Andrew Luck want Sam Darnold; however, I guess what makes me believe that it is correct at the end of the day is that 1. I have no new information to change my perspective, and 2. I believe(d) the first bits of information because the majority of the people in the Giants believed it HOWEVER in the OP I did say that... ( David Gettleman and his most Senior Assistant; i.e., the voices that matter the most Did not believe it and were operating as if it was false misinfo)

On 3/6/2018 at 6:49 PM, Mind Character said:

...to the point where everyone on the Giants staff except for new GM Dave Gettleman and an assistant staffer are operating as if it's true and they'll have their pick of all the QBs at 2 or at worst Baker Mayfield will go 1.

So, maybe it was all wrong... maybe it's been Darnold all along and it was all misinfo 3D john dorsey chess....

At this point, people are going to believe whatever it is their heart desires...

We shall see....

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I didn't realize he didn't start the 1st 3 games last year, usually even a walk on will start if they are good enough :D

So 6-4 against top 25 teams (final) with lesser stats than Mayfield against top 25 teams

And Mayfield he lost multiple games to unranked teams whilst Darnold has never lost to an unranked team. Not really sure what your point is other than cherry picking stats to fit an agenda and force a direct comparison that isn’t really there. College football rankings are subjective BS anyway.

Darnold didn’t start for USC because the coaching staff are idiots. They knew he was the best and still started five star Max Browne because they wanted Darnold to get another redshirt if Browne succeeded. They knew he’d fail and Darnold would get in anyway so they threw away games like 52-6 vs Alabama. Darnold came in and his first season, aside from his debut which he lost by 4 points, won every single game including wins over the #4 team on the road and the #5 team in the Rose Bowl.

Stats can be cherrypicked on either side to make your guy look better. I could say Darnold has a better career winning percentage than Mayfield too.

If you like both guys, I’m not sure why you need to force direct comparisons that aren’t there. If you can’t see the difference in degree of difficulty that each guy had against Ohio State, then I don’t know what to say.

College career wise, both players were clearly among the best in NCAA for winning and lifting their team.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Thomas5737 I’m definitely in the same boat when it comes to thinking there are multiple QB’s who can be successful.

I’m good with Darnold, Mayfield or Rosen, in that order.  Allen would be an absurd reach.  

I just tried to put about $35 on Mayfield at 20/1. The bookies over here capped it at $15 and then lowered the odds.

9 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I just tried to put about $35 on Mayfield at 20/1. The bookies over here capped it at $15 and then lowered the odds.

Look at you trying to sacrifice $35 bucks for your boy ?.

I know how how feel.  I’ll try to keep this from being too political, but I did the same thing not long ago.  When our president put his cabinet in place he put a fella named Scott Pruitt in charge of the EPA.  Mr. Pruitt has long been known for his contempt for environmental regulation. Many considered him an interesting choice for the role.

So a few months ago I’m reviewing some different stock options and see a stock called Northern Dynasty Minerals.  It’s a very inexpensive stock right now, under a buck a share, but they own what some believe to be one of, if not the largest, gold and copper deposits ever found.  The problem is it’s in the middle of Alaska and mining the material could, in some experts opinions, greatly endanger the local salmon population the state depends on and has thus never received the necessary permitting to begin digging.

Long story less long, recently the company has resubmitted for permitting under the new administration.

Now the odds of this company every actually breaking ground are still small at this time, hence the stock price (if they start digging the price could easily get to the $100-200 a share).  So what do I do?  I have a couple hundred bucks in dividends from other stocks sitting in my brokerage account so I decide if the EPA greenlights the project and possibly destroys an ecosystem, the rich fudds in Washington aren’t going to be the only ones making some money so I threw a few hundred much into their stock. 

If they ok it and dig?  I’ll make potentially tens of thousands of dollars.  If they don’t, I have a crappy, almost worthless stock I paid a few hundred for.

Let’s hope we both lose our money.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

One day you’ll see the light and we’ll be besties.  Until then just enjoy the fruits of Sashi’s labor next Thursday ;)

I will enjoy watching a real gm make spectacular picks, that an average one wouldn't have.

Unless, of course, we take Josh Allen!!!!

Then I will go hide and cry 

3 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I really wish I had done this. But I don't bet on sports and wouldn't know where to do it. The odds when it was 20/1 were just too good.

39 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I will enjoy watching a real gm make spectacular picks, that an average one wouldn't have.

Unless, of course, we take Josh Allen!!!!

Then I will go hide and cry 

Lol bout to say, don’t crown him yet.

I think folks will look back at Sashi’s 2 drafts fondly. Garrett, Njoku, Peppers, and Ogunjobi are all guys I’m really high on.

His first draft netted us a Pro Bowler as well.

Add to the the assets and such he added moving forward.

Wentz was a mistake, but I understand the rationale. Didn’t have the coaches endorsement either.

I’ll hold my opinion on Watson a bit longer.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol bout to say, don’t crown him yet.

I think folks will look back at Sashi’s 2 drafts fondly. Garrett, Njoku, Peppers, and Ogunjobi are all guys I’m really high on.

His first draft netted us a Pro Bowler as well.

Add to the the assets and such he added moving forward.

Wentz was a mistake, but I understand the rationale. Didn’t have the coaches endorsement either.

I’ll hold my opinion on Watson a bit longer.

Philadelphia is doing an amazing job putting all their coaching efforts into developing Carson Wentz.

They gave him a limited play-book and has making him go through simple pre-snap reads at first and slowly making it more complicated.

From everything I have seen from Hue Jackson and his staff, he did not have the ability to develop a QB in such a way...

Considering trading the pick that Wentz was taken has gotten us Shon Coleman (possibly this years LT), Derrick Kindred (a decent starting SS but a very good backup), Spencer Drango (A do it all backup offensive linemen), Ricardo Lewis (probably off the team this year), Jabril Peppers (our starting SS), Damerious Randall (our starting FS), the 4th pick in the draft this year, the 64th pick in the draft this year, and a future 7th rounder, I still have a hard time saying that trade was a mistake.

I know you can look at it and say none of these guys are superstars, but if we get a LT, a starting SS, a starting FS, a starting DE and hoefully a RB, from one pick, that I don't think we would have succeeded with, I still have a hard time staying the pick was a mistake.  But well see what happens when these picks finally settle.

I wold love nothing more than to trade the 4th pick to buffalo for 12, 22 and a 2019 1st and let the benefits of that Wentz pick continue to grow :-).

26 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Philadelphia is doing an amazing job putting all their coaching efforts into developing Carson Wentz.

They gave him a limited play-book and has making him go through simple pre-snap reads at first and slowly making it more complicated.

From everything I have seen from Hue Jackson and his staff, he did not have the ability to develop a QB in such a way...

Considering trading the pick that Wentz was taken has gotten us Shon Coleman (possibly this years LT), Derrick Kindred (a decent starting SS but a very good backup), Spencer Drango (A do it all backup offensive linemen), Ricardo Lewis (probably off the team this year), Jabril Peppers (our starting SS), Damerious Randall (our starting FS), the 4th pick in the draft this year, the 64th pick in the draft this year, and a future 7th rounder, I still have a hard time saying that trade was a mistake.

I know you can look at it and say none of these guys are superstars, but if we get a LT, a starting SS, a starting FS, a starting DE and hoefully a RB, from one pick, that I don't think we would have succeeded with, I still have a hard time staying the pick was a mistake.  But well see what happens when these picks finally settle.

I wold love nothing more than to trade the 4th pick to buffalo for 12, 22 and a 2019 1st and let the benefits of that Wentz pick continue to grow :-).

I think you have overstated the ability of ALL these picks.  Not only are they not superstars, they don't even begin to come close to what Carson Wentz value is.  And again...no to the trade down.  Can we just take the PERCEIVED high quality starter at pick 4.  It could be chubb or barkley....let me have these guys.  We are soooooooo young already.  How many rooks and future rooks do we need?????

Archived