Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

Just now, Dan Smith BYU said:

Firing Bennet for Mcarthy's play calling is hilarious. That defense is devoid of talent and getting older. I don't think Rodgers causes any problems but he is on a sinking ship.  I am sure he gets a new contract fairly soon. 

Kind of sounds like Bennett may end up getting hired back at another position.

It probably wasn't the play calling but I am sure he is helping coming up with gameplans, and maybe he was struggling with it.

7 minutes ago, disaacs said:

It's the bolded part that makes it more likely that he stays, because a new administration might actually bring free agents in to bolster the team...and yes, he's underpaid by NFL standards, but so is Tom Brady.  

I'm not sure their aversion to bringing in free agents under Thompson was intentional... I think it was a convenient excuse to say they like to draft all their talent and retain guys because who in the hell would want to live in Green Bay, Wisconsin, especially when a lot of these players grew up in the south or in big cities.

17 minutes ago, golf333333 said:

I'm not sure their aversion to bringing in free agents under Thompson was intentional... I think it was a convenient excuse to say they like to draft all their talent and retain guys because who in the hell would want to live in Green Bay, Wisconsin, especially when a lot of these players grew up in the south or in big cities.

Reggie White did.  While certainly there is a group of free agents that will choose to go particular places because of the weather.  But, most of all, it's about money and security, because they're not required to live in Green Bay for half of the year.  If Ted Thompson would have paid, the players would come, especially because it has been a winning culture.  If players would only refuse to come because of the weather, then you probably don't want them anyway...see Mike Wallace.   

But, the real question is do they have an Olive Garden?  Because that is, by far the finest dining establishment there is...just ask the restaurant critic in Grand Forks, ND.

Edited by disaacs

Just now, disaacs said:

Reggie White did.  While certainly there is a group of free agents that will choose to go particular places because of the weather.  But, most of all, it's about money and security, because they're not required to live in Green Bay for half of the year.  If Ted Thompson would have paid, the players would come, especially because it has been a winning culture.  If players would only refuse to come because of the weather, then you probably don't want them anyway...see Mike Wallace.    

To an extent, sure. But often times the money these guys are being offered is fairly similar multiple places. In that case maybe the weather/crappy town matters more than you might think. And maybe, just maybe, the "winning culture" isn't the culture these guys see when they are around the team. Not saying thats the case but its certainly possible.

If it was just about money, you wouldn't see many guys coming to MN or any of the CA teams with how horrific income taxes are. By far the worst part about living in MN and certainly a big reason I left. I'm signing with the Titans, Vegas, Cowboys, Texans, Jags, Bucs, etc. and laughing all the way to the bank.

2 minutes ago, golf333333 said:

If it was just about money, you wouldn't see many guys coming to MN or any of the CA teams with how horrific income taxes are. By far the worst part about living in MN and certainly a big reason I left. I'm signing with the Titans, Vegas, Cowboys, Texans, Jags, Bucs, etc. and laughing all the way to the bank.

I'd rather pay it out in income taxes than getting nickeled and dimed in various different kinds of taxes like we do in the state I live in. 

But, sure income taxes play a part in it, but even then, they're only paying income taxes in the state for the games they play in the season at home...which is a lot less than in other sports where it might play more of a part (such as the NBA).  And we all know they have the best accountants who know how to shelter the tax money.  I just don't think it's as big of a factor in the NFL, as it is in the others, where they 42 or 81 games at home.      

Just now, disaacs said:

I'd rather pay it out in income taxes than getting nickeled and dimed in various different kinds of taxes like we do in the state I live in. 

But, sure income taxes play a part in it, but even then, they're only paying income taxes in the state for the games they play in the season at home...which is a lot less than in other sports where it might play more of a part (such as the NBA).  And we all know they have the best accountants who know how to shelter the tax money.  I just don't think it's as big of a factor in the NFL, as it is in the others, where they 42 or 81 games at home.      

It's no different, it's still 50% of their games at home just like the other leagues. And no one making millions of dollars cares about nickel and dime taxes as those type of things make up a much smaller portion of their total tax bill than someone making, say, 50k.

For example if the property tax bill is 2x higher in a state with no income tax, lets say these guys buy a million dollar residence. Back of the envelope math double property tax would cost them around 10 grand more if we are taking national averages for property taxes. If they earn 4 million dollars, their Minnesota income tax would be ~394k (4MM*.0985), divided by 2 since only half their game check income is earned there, and you're still at 200k additional income tax each and every year. I'd take the extra 10k in property taxes but that's just me. Now imagine if we are talking someone who makes QB money, then its costing them over a million dollars a year every single year to be playing for MN vs someone else and there's no way non income tax states can nickle and dime someone with that kind of income, that much.

Anyway, back to GB talk...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i really dislike Olive Gardens. a lot of their "dishes" are pre-prepared and frozen in single serving plastic bags and then heated up in boiling water.

Not a huge fan either, but I do like their breadsticks.  :D

it's just bread, guys. what is this, ancient Rome?

fun fact: 70% of Roman citizens' diet was bread. which is why the government leaders' need to transport grain was so important to their commerce and control. if your population goes hungry, they riot and overthrow...