2018 NFL Draft Thread - Day 1

Heimdallr

4 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Are you referring to the top 20 picks? If so, NE picks at 23 and 31. That would put the trades at 3 and leave you ‘under’ the 3.5. Unless of course, NE trades into the top 20, then ‘over’ prediction is a safe guess...I think ? 

That's what I expect them to do.. they trade right in front of Miami (pick 10)

5 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

@rpmwr19 Is your board basically the same thing that Arif Hasan does?

Yes - small differences, but yes very much the same - I just move mine into a trackable form as a google doc. 

He actually started doing his big article on it after seeing mine (which I kept doing after Darren Page stopped doing his). The format is all Page. 

They've added Arif's consensus board to fanspeak..

1.30 - Calvin Ridley - WR - Alabama
2.62 - Braden Smith - G - Auburn
3.94 - Kemoko Turay - EDGE - Rutgers
5.167 - Oren Burks - LB - Vanderbilt
6.204 - James Looney - UT - California
6. 213 - Brandon Facyson - CB - Virginia Tech
6.218 - Troy Apke - S - Penn State
7.225 - Greg Senat - T - Wagner

Did not expect to see Ridley starting me in the face at 30 (as was DJ Moore), and there were plenty of interior lineman available.

Welp, Josh Allen is the target of this year’s draft day smear campaign. Whether it’s a team or an individual trying to ruin his draft stock, it’s pretty pathetic. At the same time he and is agent are idiots for not going through his social media and getting rid of things. 

None of what he said is acceptable and as an NFL franchise I would have some questions about those tweets. Youthful indiscretion isn’t an excuse for overtly racist tweets.

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Welp, Josh Allen is the target of this year’s draft day smear campaign. Whether it’s a team or an individual trying to ruin his draft stock, it’s pretty pathetic. At the same time he and is agent are idiots for not going through his social media and getting rid of things. 

None of what he said is acceptable and as an NFL franchise I would have some questions about those tweets. Youthful indiscretion isn’t an excuse for overtly racist tweets.

The fact that his agents didn't think to go though all of his social media is crazy. That should be day 1 stuff. 

Just added board #30!

Quick Mock (variance of +/- 5 allowed)

1.30 - Connor Williams - OL - Texas (#25)
2.62 - Josh Sweat - EDGE - Florida State (#57)
3.94 - Holton Hill - CB - Texas (#90)
5.167 - Simme Cobbs Jr - WR - Indiana (#167)
6.204 - Bilal Nichols - DT - Delaware (#200)
6.213 - Roc Thomas - RB - Jacksonville State (#217)
6.218 - Trayvon Henderson - S - Hawai'i (#223)
7.225 - Tony Adams - G - North Carolina State (#224)

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

It’s certainly not a good look for any player, let along a guy you’re asking to be the face of your franchise, and in today’s climate, there’s no telling how this could affect him. 

But, these teams should already know who he is as a person, and what many of his beliefs and feelings are. If you’re visiting with him, taking him out to dinner, working him out, etc. then you should have a very good feel for who he is as a person. And 5 year old tweets shouldn’t alter your decision. 

If the last 2 years have shown us anything, it's this: all you have to do to explain away a bad old tweet is to tweet something new and deny the old one. Problem solved. 

I don't think the tweets will back anyone off of Allen if they liked him as a QB. 

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

To be honest, I thought what he posted was more inappropriate than hateful (maybe I didn't see everything though). It's stupid and he should know better, but I don't think it would change my mind if I wanted to draft him.

6 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Paul Allen talking about Kolton Miller at 30... lordy, please be one of the times PA is off-track.

I think Miller will be gone before then. If his first false step is fixable, he's a Pro Bowl quality LT.

His ceiling is really, really high. Basically he's the OL equivalent of Taven Bryan -- freak athlete who doesn't know what he's doing, and most fans would be OK with taking Bryan in the late 1st.

Maybe that just speaks to the quality of the Vikings DL coaching vs their OL coaching in recent years. I don't have confidence the Vikings would be able to coach Miller out of his bad habits, and not sure they can afford to let him spend a year on the bench learning before he has to play.

In any case, if Miller ends up on the Patriots, Eagles or some other team with a track record of OL success, he might turn into something great. 

Archived