1st Round Draft Talk

KingTitan

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

honestly, i'm much more okay with taking a raw athlete with mediocre production at edge rusher than probably at any other position. we desperately, desperately need speed off the edge.

It's why I'd accept Carter. Sweat, on the other hand, for all of his athleticism, has shown absolutely no burst off the edge. There may be some explanation regarding him being asked to react off of linemen rather than the ball, but man, when you're a 250 pound pass rusher with 4.5 speed, I need you to not be the last player off the line on pretty much every play.

8 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

honestly, i'm much more okay with taking a raw athlete with mediocre production at edge rusher than probably at any other position. we desperately, desperately need speed off the edge.

I feel we're in the ideal situation to do it this year.

-Coach with a known history of developing front 7 talent

-Two proven vets to learn behind

-Continuing the last point, doesn't have to be an immediate starter this year

-As you said, a desperate need for speed/athleticism/youth outside

I just keep going back to Vrabel constantly talking about how he likes to teach and develop players. I feel that may play a part in the pick tonight(assuming we do pick tonight). 

24 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It's why I'd accept Carter. Sweat, on the other hand, for all of his athleticism, has shown absolutely no burst off the edge. There may be some explanation regarding him being asked to react off of linemen rather than the ball, but man, when you're a 250 pound pass rusher with 4.5 speed, I need you to not be the last player off the line on pretty much every play.

where did all of the Sweat hype come from? I just got out of Basic and haven't heard of him until the combine. I been trying to watch film on him and outside of his athleticism I don't see a 1st round pick. It could have been the FSU scheme but I just don't see 1st round outside of potential. Id take Carter over him, especially with the knee.

The rumors about LVE's spinal narrowing are very concerning to me. As someone that has personally dealt with that within my family, that is no joke. It's not something that you can fix with surgery/surgery usually makes it worse actually, and the more hits he makes/takes the worse it's going to get. I think I'd be taking him off my board if that's a legit concern.

14 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

The rumors about LVE's spinal narrowing are very concerning to me. As someone that has personally dealt with that within my family, that is no joke. It's not something that you can fix with surgery/surgery usually makes it worse actually, and the more hits he makes/takes the worse it's going to get. I think I'd be taking him off my board if that's a legit concern.

I'd be skeptical of those rumors. Doubt the medical credentials of those making the reports. More than likely made by a team that actually wants to draft him and would like to see him drop. Always one of the more ridiculous parts of draft season is when fans become somehow medical experts.

It's actually kind of BS when somebody like Mayock spouts off about that without giving his sources. For all we know he could be getting it from crappy sports blogs like 24/7. Teams look at the health and injury history of every single player, and if LVE's really is that bad I guess we will see. But I'm not buying it at this point. 

Just now, VY said:

I'd be skeptical of those rumors. Doubt the medical credentials of those making the reports. More than likely made by a team that actually wants to draft him and would like to see him drop. Always one of the more ridiculous parts of draft season is when fans become somehow medical experts.

Yeah there's so many smoke screens, and you're right just hearing about the medical a day or two before the draft makes me think it was probably a smoke screen, but Mayock dropped him out of his mock draft and I know he's got sources within the league. It could all be nothing though.  You never know what to believe around this time. I'm just saying I've had first hand experience with that particular issue, and it's not something I'd be messing with at all as a GM if it's legit.  

I'm not going to be surprised if they pick up a WR in the lower first.  I mean we have Sharpe who has major questions and Matthews contract is up. So leaves an inconsistent Taylor and Davis.  Truth is that WR room needs some more talent. Just feels odd to do that seeing we drafted a guy #5 and an 3rd round last year. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm not going to be surprised if they pick up a WR in the lower first.  I mean we have Sharpe who has major questions and Matthews contract is up. So leaves an inconsistent Taylor and Davis.  Truth is that WR room needs some more talent. Just feels odd to do that seeing we drafted a guy #5 and an 3rd round last year. 

Yeah, preferably I want us to focus on defense. If Ridley is there though, that changes things.

I think he's a day one contributor and would provide a dynamic 1-2 punch with Davis as soon as next year.

I'll be perfectly fine with Evans, S, or WR. 

I don't want an OG, I don't see that happening.  I can't see Robinson having 3 guys compete for the spot. (Spain, 1st round Pick, the FA pick up.)

I can't imagine them replacing Ben Jones. I know he had his issues, but I can't see him giving up on Jones yet. 

46 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Or CB if one drops that we had visits from. Not glaring needs but can always use talent on the periphery on both sides of the ball. 

Really hoping someone takes Hubbard before 25... 

Archived