Official Broncos Forum Draft Thread

AnAngryAmerican

4 hours ago, BaldyBronco said:

SO we are all talking about the team captains and great character guys.  We drafted 1 starter and a whole bunch of guys to add depth to our offense.  The Josey Jewell pick is my favorite, but he won't see the field this year. Freeman is our #3 RB.  Yiadom is a special teams player.  And Frankly D. Hamilton may beat out Sutherland, LOL.  Fumagali seems to be a developmental depth, practice squad guy.

AND, with OG and QB being a big need, and with major talent in this class at BOTH positions.  We get to this point with ZERO help. With Elway acknowledging he botched a trade to get an OL and that from 33 to 39 he let all of the targets get away from him and settle on a guy who will be the #3, 4 or 5 receiver on our roster at 40? Now, we are going to leave this draft with an ARMY OT who won't play for a long time?

This is seriously troubling

I get these are good football players.  And there are some good young men on our football team.

The Chubb pick was great until the majority of the remainder of this draft class has formed.  We missed.  That is unfortunate.  

I hope Elway can find a veteran casualty in June to fix this mess on the OL.

Maybe there is a surprise 

I can't really agree with any of this. The point of the draft is not to fix problems for the upcoming season. That's what FA is for. The draft is for finding long-term solutions for your football team. Chubb is going to contribute in a major way. Sutton should see his fair share of snaps already this season. Freeman is a #3? Apparently the coaches don't share that viewpoint with you since they have said it's open competition. 

Yes, we did not go after a QB, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on how you look at it. I agree they should have attacked OL sooner. But to call this draft troubling? That's a severely hot take. Burning, really. Sutton is, by all accounts, a huge steal for Denver. But to claim we "missed" in this draft is nuts. Frankly, the Broncos don't have a lot of talent on this team. We added contributors in a bunch of positions across the board, and guys who can do things we haven't been able to do in years. Red zone targets, short yardage backs, chain movers, and some quality defensive depth. I give that a giant thumbs up.

IMO, hell of a draft for Elway and the Broncos.  Their best draft since 2011.  Targeted good football players with NFL measurables over elite measurables that needed a lot of coaching.  

This was a homerun draft for Denver at a time where they desperately needed it.  Elway got back to the basics to fill a team in need.  Unlike the years where Denver had elite production and solid depth where this franchise looked to bring in purely physical talents and bank on them developing to take over in a year or 2.

I am not against rolling the dice here and there, but it can’t be done with nearly every pick outside of the 1st round.  So hopefully this has been an awakening for Elway.

BTW here's the official story on what DEN turned down once Chubb was OTC at 1.5:

http://www.9news.com/article/sports/look-inside-elways-day-1-strategy-why-chubb-trumped-bills-hefty-trade-offer/73-546939481

Taking the deal for 1.12 and 1.22 could have netted Vea & Will Hernandez, and moving from 2.71 to 2.53 would have gotten us Isiah Oliver with Sutton at 2.40.   But I don't second-guess Elway at all - unlike calling it as the Draft Board unfolded for the picks, there was no way to know how the board would unfold at 1.5 50 picks away.   I still see the Chubb pick as an A move.   

What I really like is knowing that Elway/Kubiak had multiple contingencies for how the Board would fall - we didn't see that in 2015-2017, Elway took guys no matter how the Board was falling.  The plan to go different ways and be flexible is much-needed - so glad we're finally seeing it being done.  It leads to drafts with huge boom values, not busts & a lot of tears. 

Had the Browns with their No. 4 pick selected Chubb, the Broncos would have taken the Bills’ trade package. According to sources, the Broncos would have acquired the Bills’ No. 12 and No. 22 picks in the first round and one of their two second-round picks (either No. 53 or No. 56 overall) while Denver would have sent one of its third-round picks (No. 71 or no. 99) back to Buffalo.

But when the Browns took Ohio State cornerback Denzel Ward at No. 4, Chubb was still available at No. 5.

Call Buffalo. The deal is off. Indianapolis with the No. 6 pick called the Broncos about moving up one spot to take Chubb. Elway decided to take tremendous quality – his guy -- over decent quantity.

58 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I can't really agree with any of this. The point of the draft is not to fix problems for the upcoming season. That's what FA is for. The draft is for finding long-term solutions for your football team. Chubb is going to contribute in a major way. Sutton should see his fair share of snaps already this season. Freeman is a #3? Apparently the coaches don't share that viewpoint with you since they have said it's open competition. 

Yes, we did not go after a QB, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on how you look at it. I agree they should have attacked OL sooner. But to call this draft troubling? That's a severely hot take. Burning, really. Sutton is, by all accounts, a huge steal for Denver. But to claim we "missed" in this draft is nuts. Frankly, the Broncos don't have a lot of talent on this team. We added contributors in a bunch of positions across the board, and guys who can do things we haven't been able to do in years. Red zone targets, short yardage backs, chain movers, and some quality defensive depth. I give that a giant thumbs up.

My troubling statement boils down to the one simple fact that we did not find a long term solution to fix our O Line a year where there were MULTIPLE players.  We got another Arizona State homer pick and that’s it.

Can’t avold this fact and I can applaud some of the draft. 

And still be troubled....

3 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Yes he’s athletic and has relied this far purely on technique. He’s also 6-5 with the frame to add 30lbs of lean weight. He’s a PS stash who could contribute in a couple years. 

I think you're absolutely correct. TC fodder and PS stash. We've had some great OL success along those lines.

Also, did some digging on our new OL coaches. Been meaning to do it but it always slips my mind. Anyway, Strausser really caught my eye. 19 years coaching college OL's with great success. Had an amazing run at Boise State where his OL only gave up 36 sacks in his 4 seasons.

Kugler sounds solid with around 20 years coaching pro and college on the OL. Bottom line is, they've both got lots of experience developing young talent into O Linemen. That's something we've been missing since Gibbs.

Any additional info would be nice. I'm thinking the two, assessing what we've already got, had a lot to do with our draft.

I think we're in for some surprising cuts and depth chart changes to the Line this year. We might be deeper than we think. Just a thought.

45 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I think you're absolutely correct. TC fodder and PS stash. We've had some great OL success along those lines.

Also, did some digging on our new OL coaches. Been meaning to do it but it always slips my mind. Anyway, Strausser really caught my eye. 19 years coaching college OL's with great success. Had an amazing run at Boise State where his OL only gave up 36 sacks in his 4 seasons.

Kugler sounds solid with around 20 years coaching pro and college on the OL. Bottom line is, they've both got lots of experience developing young talent into O Linemen. That's something we've been missing since Gibbs.

Any additional info would be nice. I'm thinking the two, assessing what we've already got, had a lot to do with our draft.

I think we're in for some surprising cuts and depth chart changes to the Line this year. We might be deeper than we think. Just a thought.

I hope you're right. I actually really liked what I saw from McGovern the last month of the season. I think with a full off-season working at the position (and a tackle at his side who isn't a human turnstile) he can surprise people. 

2 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I hope you're right. I actually really liked what I saw from McGovern the last month of the season. I think with a full off-season working at the position (and a tackle at his side who isn't a human turnstile) he can surprise people. 

So do I. I did a bit more research on our OL coaching tandem and was a bit surprised but pleased that both have degrees, one a masters, in education. We could definitely use some teachers working with our OL.

13 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So do I. I did a bit more research on our OL coaching tandem and was a bit surprised but pleased that both have degrees, one a masters, in education. We could definitely use some teachers working with our OL.

Teachers are the most overrated thing in America.  We need doers.  Those who can’t work teach and those that can’t teach coach or teach PE.

5 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Teachers are the most overrated thing in America.  We need doers.  Those who can’t work teach and those that can’t teach coach or teach PE.

I'm not sure I understand your comment. Coaching is teaching, or at least should be. A degree in education just gives a coach more tools to do his job.

Archived