Official Broncos Forum Draft Thread

AnAngryAmerican

11 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

I don't think we suck necessarily. I think last year was a situation where there were some key holes and the QB play was beyond horrible. That combined with a bunch of injuries provided the worst case scenario. They have a lot of work to do but they are not the 5th worst roster in the NFL. 

But we weren’t a top 15 roster either.    Bottom 5, no.  Bottom 10 maybe.   In DEN even that means we really suck.  

Its been a blessing because being a contender changed Elway’s draft strategy. He went from BPA and not locking in to specific guys and playing the Big Board in 2011-12 (2012 was just a bad draft year for everyone lol) to drafting to fill needs in Rd1 and then locking in to insane-tool guys with long developmental curves and bust floors.  It’s been his style since 2013. It was justifiable when we were 1-2 guys but it’s also gradually depleted our roster talent.  To where we are today.  

And here’s the kicker - we still aren’t a top 15 roster.  And we have a terrible cap situation.  But the way to fix BOTH problems is by drafting well.   The key part is Elway should hopefully see that this approach is far better even if you are s contender.   Or a rebuilder.   Let’s pray he keeps this up.   It’s how we will be 2019 legit contenders.   We still aren’t now - rookies take time.   But for the first time since 2016’s offseason. there’s real hope we are truly headed in the right direction. 

12 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

I don't think we suck necessarily. I think last year was a situation where there were some key holes and the QB play was beyond horrible. That combined with a bunch of injuries provided the worst case scenario. They have a lot of work to do but they are not the 5th worst roster in the NFL. 

They could be pretty bad again this year. If guys that haven't stepped up before do and a few players improve then we could be back in contention for the playoffs. I'm at least excited for these new guys. Last year was so miserable to watch, at least we should have some exciting young guys. Still have a crap coach though 

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

They could be pretty bad again this year. If guys that haven't stepped up before do and a few players improve then we could be back in contention for the playoffs. I'm at least excited for these new guys. Last year was so miserable to watch, at least we should have some exciting young guys. Still have a crap coach though 

This draft has been a godsend.  But yes let’s take a breath.  Rookies take time.  Year 2 is when a draft’s full impact takes hold.   Drafting for year 1 was part of Elways problem last year he drafted 3 guys to find Hill V2 right away.    Our expectations need to be aligned realistically.  

Sutton will take time.  Yiadom will likely be ST only.   Freeman and Hewell and Chubb will help right away.  But that only  helps so far this year.  

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

This draft has been a godsend.  But yes let’s take a breath.  Rookies take time.  Year 2 is when a draft’s full impact takes hold.   Drafting for year 1 was part of Elways problem last year he drafted 3 guys to find Hill V2 right away.    Our expectations need to be aligned realistically.  

Yeah, like for example, the talking heads are going to talk about Jake Butt being a huge addition. Dude might not be that good. There is going to be a lot of interesting pieces that could go really well or not really help. Veldheer had a bad year last year, could bounce back or just stay bad. Bolles needs to really improve in a couple areas. A lot of intriguing stuff on deck. 

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

A bronco fan said this?

I don’t think there’s a good PS T we should consider passing on a Crosby / Harrison for.   But @AKRNA‘s point holds - if the OL coach thinks there’s something there we might.  

Given Veldheer injury risk I’d dive in again even if we had a PS guy we liked.  We can’t have enough T’s.  

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don’t think there’s a good PS T we should consider passing on a Crosby / Harrison for.   But @AKRNA‘s point holds - if the OL coach thinks there’s something there we might.  

Given Veldheer injury risk I’d dive in again even if we had a PS guy we liked.  We can’t have enough T’s.  

Raiders got hurst,best pick so far?

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You should do draft grades for every team like goldfish does love them

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Raiders got hurst,best pick so far?

2 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Great value but not necessarily the best pick.

Great value.  Damn that sucks OAK just got a lot better on DL.  They needed it.  

Best pick?   Way too soon to say.   He’s undersized so wasn’t a complete guy.  But yeah massive bargain.  I had him 30’s.  So obv insane value.   But so many crazy value guys. 

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You should do draft grades for every team like goldfish does love them

I don’t like grades unless I’ve really done research on how the board fell for their picks.    Value matters so much.   And TBH they are fun but in the end it’s just entertainment value.  Not worth all that work lol.  Honestly there are 30+ guys on FF Draft Forum who would do a better job at that than me and it would still be a crapshoot  for them. 

I do think OAK reached badly with Miller and PJ Hall.   Even Parker who I love would never have gone that early.   But yeah I love the Hurst pick.   

25 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I think regardless, the Broncos are one more year away...and I am okay with that.  We need one more good FA haul and another solid draft like this one.  

Archived