DOLPHINS PICK THREAD

Tetsujin

We are going to need to go very defense heavy in this draft. We now have 3 teams in our division with legit QB's. The Jets and Bills are going to be very competitive now. Our division is going to be insane. Fitz is going to be a great addition beside Jones. I don't think that McDonald can transition to LB as easily as some think. We are still going to have to get some LB help, unless the Phins think that Chase Daniels can develop into a decent Sam LB.

23 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Not gonna lie, I wanted Roquon Smith out of UGA.  However, Fitzpatrick was the BPA and he might end up with as good of a career as R Smith.

I like the pick.

Smith was my 1B but was taken a few picks before.

I'm excited about Fitzpatrick! I never really believed he would fall out of the top 10. I would have been happy with Edmunds as the pick, too, since LB is a priority need and his father played for the Fins. But we will need all the help we can get to defend against the slew of QB's coming to the AFC east. I gotta think LB is the next pick. TE maybe.

Now that I have had some time to digest this pick, here are the pro's and con's when related to the Dolphins.

Pro's

Has experience playing CB, slot CB, Nickel LB, and FS, all at a high level. This means that he can help Bobby McCain cover the slot, and McDonald/Jones at S.

Has great feet, short area quickness to stay with most receivers.

Has good burst to accelerate with receivers out of breaks.

Has great instincts, knows when to close the gap.

Great hand eye coordination, picks off deflected passes with ease.

Knows both zone and man responsibilities, never in the wrong place.

Great wrap up tackler.

Has experience as a blitzer.

Will fight through blocks to get to the ball carrier, he isn't afraid of sticking his shoulder into big backs.

Con's

Doesn't have elite long speed, can be burned on deep routes against speedy WR's.

Although footwork is good, he doesn't have elite lateral quickness, and can give big cushions against speedy RB's, WR's while in man coverage.

When playing safety, he can sometimes misjudge the speed of the WR in the route, causing him to react slowly.

When filling gaps in the run game, he gets too eager and doesn't give himself enough cushion to react to cuts. This made him miss tackles when faced against a fast one cut RB.

In Miami, I don't believe that Fitz is going to replace any one starter. He is a perfect addition to McCain in Nickel and Dime packages, where he can cover the TE, and McCain can cover the small speedy WR. In the base package, he can replace McDonald. GM Grier called him a swiss army knife, and that is his greatest strength.

I love the Fitz pick.  We did a great job of sitting back and letting a top 10 talent fall to us.  I would have liked to see us trade back a few spots but that’s easier said than done and there’s certainly nothing wrong with staying put and drafting a premiere player.

Now on to day two.  Let’s get a TE, LB, DT.

Favorite players for us in no particular order

Shaq Griffin OLB ( possible third rounder but talented enough to be an early second IMO)

Mason Rudolph QB

Dallas Goedert TE

Will Hernandez OG

Mike Gesicki TE

Derrius Guice RB

Josh Jackson CB

Maurice Hurst DT

Here are some names to look at, and a look at the 2nd round in front of us.

Browns pick twice, rumor is they are looking for more secondary help, and could pick up another DB and S. The Dolphins are done in this area, so this helps.

Giants need O-line help, so I think that Hernandez goes here.

Colts pick twice, they also need help in the secondary, and could be looking for offensive playmakers. They are a threat to take Goedert, or Guice.

Buccaneers also are looking for offensive playmakers, so Chubb, Guice, or Goedert could go here.

Bears need WR help, so St. Brown or Sutton could go here.

Broncos still need O-line.

Raiders also need WR.

So that leaves Miami. I'm hoping for the following players.

Dallas Goedert, he fills a big need for the Phins, if he is there, they have to draft him.

Darius Leonard, we need LB help, and he is the best available.

41 minutes ago, ericsvibe said:

Here are some names to look at, and a look at the 2nd round in front of us.

Browns pick twice, rumor is they are looking for more secondary help, and could pick up another DB and S. The Dolphins are done in this area, so this helps.

Giants need O-line help, so I think that Hernandez goes here.

Colts pick twice, they also need help in the secondary, and could be looking for offensive playmakers. They are a threat to take Goedert, or Guice.

Buccaneers also are looking for offensive playmakers, so Chubb, Guice, or Goedert could go here.

Bears need WR help, so St. Brown or Sutton could go here.

Broncos still need O-line.

Raiders also need WR.

So that leaves Miami. I'm hoping for the following players.

Dallas Goedert, he fills a big need for the Phins, if he is there, they have to draft him.

Darius Leonard, we need LB help, and he is the best available.

Bucs won't take Goedert with BOTH Brate and Howard already on the roster at TE.

Raiders dealt for Martavis Bryant yesterday, so it's very unlikely they go WR.

Goedert is obviously a perfect fit, as far as need and value.  I really hope he's there. 

1 hour ago, Emerica said:

Its going to be an interesting day. As many others, I'm hoping we go TE at 42. Seems like there are many options Goedert, Gesicki, Herndon, Andrews, Thomas, etc.

Only 2 I consider at 42 are Goedert and Gesicki.  

I also forgot to mention that I want no part of the QBs in round 2.  I want to draft a QB at some point, but not a fan of Rudolph or Lauletta this high.

Archived