49ers Select Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame #9 Overall

y2lamanaki

10 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

On what basis is this a huge reach? The Raiders 100% would have taken him at 10 if we didn't pick him. 

They are still working on getting the locker room the way they want not only on the field but also off the field. McG is from all i heard a great locker room guy.

This is fair...because I agree the Raiders would have taken him. So at least 2 teams had that type of grade on him. It just didn't match up with the draftniks. 

26 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Yeah, it makes sense. We all fall in love with certain guys in the draft, which is a lot of what makes the process fun. I was in love with Landry, and he's still on the board at #19, so I guess the NFL evaluators didn't like him as much as I did.

Still, gotta move on. The players, as always, have to prove it on the field.

Absolutely. Once the knee jerk is over, it's all good. I think he'll be fine. I don't think he has elite tackle potential, but he should be safe. I would have rather gone defense, but I also didn't know the brown stuff if that was true. Plus, this draft could still kick major butt in the second / third. So it's still early. 

Judging by the compensation the raiders got for moving back (3rd and a 5th) it doesn't seem like there were very many teams trying to move up.

I'm warming up to this the more I watch the film. If brown is really MIA, then it we would have had a huge hole at tackle. I mean last year we had freaking Zane Beatles playing T for us

4 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I Always value Geoff Schwartz offensive line opinions, he's pretty spot on with that area from what i've noticed. He likes McGlinchey as do most reports I've seen. 

Nothing wrong with him as a player at all. Solid first round prospect, will be a starter for a decade. Maybe never great, but solid. I don't know that he's a left tackle, but even if he's "just" a right tackle, if he's good at it, it's a big deal. 

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nothing wrong with him as a player at all. Solid first round prospect, will be a starter for a decade. Maybe never great, but solid. I don't know that he's a left tackle, but even if he's "just" a right tackle, if he's good at it, it's a big deal. 

Honestly, as Schwartz mentioned a few months ago, most of the top pass rushers are actually lining up across the RT making it just as important as the LT position. Miller/Mack/Lawrence/Graham/etc all rush from that side. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, as Schwartz mentioned a few months ago, most of the top pass rushers are actually lining up across the RT making it just as important as the LT position. Miller/Mack/Lawrence/Graham/etc all rush from that side. 

The speed guys will be problematic. He really struggles against speed rushers. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Absolutely. Once the knee jerk is over, it's all good. I think he'll be fine. I don't think he has elite tackle potential, but he should be safe. I would have rather gone defense, but I also didn't know the brown stuff if that was true. Plus, this draft could still kick major butt in the second / third. So it's still early. 

Also didn't know the Landry medical stuff. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:
Don't have to love the pick, but things like this are kind of cool. Kid just letting those tears go. 

True. I hope he plays well for us for a long time. 

Shanahan really wanted to help Jimmy G by getting his run game jump started. Granted, it did suck last year. McKinnon and McGlintchey are two big investments. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Don't know why we can't have all 3 of them. With Brown's injuries and weight issues (and maybe the 2 are related) I would much rather have McG on the right side and Brown backing up both tackle spots. If we can get a 2nd or 3rd this year, well and good. However having a starting quality tackle on 7th rounder money for 1 more year will pay for itself. Then we could look at getting a comp pick in FA if he decides to go.

Archived