Titans trade up to 41, select Harold Landry

titans0021

1 minute ago, Chocolateman78 said:

We also need to dismiss this notion that J Rob is always wanting to trade back. This marks the 4th and 5th players  J Rob has traded UP for. (Conklin, Sims, Taywan, Evans, Landry) in 3 drafts. 

It is a trend. And should be accounted for going forward. Only trade down was pretty much trading the 1st pick. 

It is a sign that says, he goes into the draft with an idea of the player he wants and is willing to go get him. 

Just now, KingTitan said:

It is a trend. And should be accounted for going forward. Only trade down was pretty much trading the 1st pick. 

It is a sign that says, he goes into the draft with an idea of the player he wants and is willing to go get him. 

Exactly, he even admitted last year that he didn't want to trade down off #5 because he would have missed on his guy

3 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

There's a reason Andy Reid could consistently lead top 10 offenses in his career despite rarely ever having any top tier targets at WR. Every single ring Brady possesses has come without an elite WR. The Eagles just showed how much scheme really matters by not only plugging in Foles and still winning, but having Jefferey(who, while good, I don't think is considered elite by anyone) and a bunch of nobodies around him at WR. The Seahawks were one of the top teams in football for four or five years with Baldwin(another good, but not elite receiver) and not much else at WR. Minnesota took two WRs nobody really wanted and their 3rd string QB and went to the conference championship game because their defense great and Shurmur did a fantastic job calling plays. Carolina is a bit inconsistent, but has made a superbowl run and multiple playoff runs with the best receiver being either Ginn or Benjamin.

It's not to say great WRs don't have a place on a team, but they're just not necessary to win. A good QB and a good scheme are. We've got the QB, we might have the scheme if LaFleur lives up to his reputation. Hell, Davis might even turn out to be a great WR, but we really just need him to be reliable. That's what matters from the receiver position. Run your route how you're supposed to, recognize the coverage the defense is playing, find the holes in the zone, and catch the ball when it's thrown to you. You don't need to be 6'4, 230 pounds and run a 4.3 to do that stuff. If on top of that stuff you can make a circus catch that's great, but it's not needed to be a winning football team.

Exactly defense wins championships. Jerry Rice & Michael Irvin are the only Elite WR I can think of that won multiple Super Bowls, not Randy moss T.O, Calvin Johnson. Football is won at the line scrimmage & defense. Don’t get me wrong I do want an elite WR but I look at that as a bonus, it’s a want not a need. You need elite defensive pass rushers 

Just now, Chocolateman78 said:

Given how you are very down on the 2 mid round WR's J rob has drafted, why were you hoping for another mid-round guy?

I'd really only consider Taylor to be a mid-round guy. Once you hit the fifth, I'm not really expecting serious contributions outside of special teams (though obviously you get plenty of players in those rounds that become legitimate starters). And I'm not even all that down on Taylor, just don't love relying on him to take a huge step forward in order for us to have even three NFL caliber wide outs.. But really, I have no problem going hard on defense in the draft. Just wish we would have added at least a competent receiver in free agency to make it slightly easier to swallow. 

I'm not mad about it. But if CD or Matthews goes down for any length of time, we'll be giving Marcus a truly terrible group of wide receivers.

18 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

WOW

That’s amazing when you think about it. How easy would it have been to sit at 25 and just take Landry if we had him rated in the teens?  Instead we got both Evans and Landry.  That takes onions. 

Just now, titanrick said:

That’s amazing when you think about it. How easy would it have been to sit at 25 and just take Landry if we had him rated in the teens?  Instead we got both Evans and Landry.  That takes onions. 

Yeah, pretty crazy. Wonder if Evans was top 10 then?

Harold Landry, Boston College

SackSEER Projection: 26.0 Sacks Through Fifth Season
SackSEER Rating: 83.9%

SackSEER makes Harold Landry the best overall prospect in this year's draft by the slimmest of margins. Landry has a solid all-around SackSEER projection with no major weaknesses. Landry had slightly better sack production than Marcus Davenport or Chubb. Landry also had an above-average passes defensed rate. Landry's workouts were not quite as good as Davenport's or Chubb's, but they were well above average. SackSEER sees little difference between this year's top three prospects, so whichever team ends up with Landry could end up getting the best value.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/sackseer-2018

Archived