49ers Select Dante Pettis, WR, Washington#44 Overall

y2lamanaki

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

Same here. Do not like this move. 

Don't necessarily mind the move but the combination of move and player doesn't really add up for me. 

What i find the strangest thing is that with a coach so clear in what he wants and stuff you expect to find steals like we did last year with guys like Taylor and Kittle. This year feels a bit the other way around to me where we go and get the guys we really want instead of just seeing what falls in our lap.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing that gives me some pause is that this could be, once again, a longer term play...for his game...I kind of feel like Pierre Garcon is about as good of a mentor as we could ask for him, yeah? 

I mean he's a day one threat in the return game but not convinced he doesn't play early this year. Could challenge Garcon if not take over for him next year.

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Don't necessarily mind the move but the combination of move and player doesn't really add up for me. 

What i find the strangest thing is that with a coach so clear in what he wants and stuff you expect to find steals like we did last year with guys like Taylor and Kittle. This year feels a bit the other way around to me where we go and get the guys we really want instead of just seeing what falls in our lap.

I feel like we are handling the draft like we do free agency (not a good thing) in that we are becoming tunnel visioned to the guys that we want and have to have. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean he's a day one threat in the return game but not convinced he doesn't play early this year. Could challenge Garcon if not take over for him next year.

That's what I'm thinking...he seems like a guy that definitely be the ideal match to slide into Garcon's role. 

I think we have to acknowledge the possibility in this draft that the FO doesn't think that we are geared toward being a true competitor right off the bat...I don't want to say that we are punting the season (we aren't), but I think that this is a longer term play. 

Just now, Forge said:

I feel like we are handling the draft like we do free agency (not a good thing) in that we are becoming tunnel visioned to the guys that we want and have to have. 

What it reminds me of is CJ Beatherd last year. And that basically works out only because Quarterback is such an insanely valuable position that a not disastrous backup is a strangely valuable asset.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think we have to acknowledge the possibility in this draft that the FO doesn't think that we are geared toward being a true competitor right off the bat...I don't want to say that we are punting the season (we aren't), but I think that this is a longer term play. 

Which is the right call imo

Just now, ninerfanwheelz said:

Which is the right call imo

I mean, I never thought we were a playoff contender...but I have to admit that this strategy does beg more toward a long term play. I still don't know what we are doing on defense, but I suppose it's unimportant. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel it makes some sense in the way we really are still converting to a true Shanahan offense. By getting the best possible option in the house it gives our front office something to compare to when scouting and laying down the prototypes. It can sometime be frustrating seeing us "Overpay" or "Overdraft" guys but they are guys that fit what we want to do to a tee. 

That to me is the biggest difference compared to what Baalke did where he himself fell in love and it really didn't matter what the coaching staff thought.

Just now, Forge said:

I mean, I never thought we were a playoff contender...but I have to admit that this strategy does beg more toward a long term play. I still don't know what we are doing on defense, but I suppose it's unimportant. 

When you say long-term play, is McGlinchey now considered a long-term play? I don't know if I agree with this. Maybe not going all in and spending crazy, but getting just good football players that fit Shanny's scheme. Pettis fits it well, as Shanny wants WRs that could create separation. And day one he has a big impact in the return game and next year takes over for Garcon. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

When you say long-term play, is McGlinchey now considered a long-term play? I don't know if I agree with this. Maybe not going all in and spending crazy, but getting just good football players that fit Shanny's scheme. Pettis fits it well, as Shanny wants WRs that could create separation. And day one he has a big impact in the return game and next year takes over for Garcon. 

McGlinchey would have been. But I think he's going to struggle, at least more so than Brown would have (since we really don't have confirmation on the conditioning). If you're going to have a guy struggle, do it in a season where you're not going anywhere. Pettis is unlikely to make a big dent in the receiving game to me this year. Yes, he could take over for Garcon, but I see that in the next couple of years. 

Archived