2nd Round Pick (45th Overall): Josh Jackson [CB; Iowa]

CWood21

It is hard not to love Jackson in the second as much as you would have hated him in the first.

I'm thrilled.  Beyond thrilled.

GB struck out in free agency on big name corners.  Drafted 2 of the top 4.  Corners drafted to play corner.  Much different than taking a safety and basketball player to play corner.

It is hard for me to not smile when thinking of the future of that secondary with King at 6'3'', Jackson at 6'1'' and Alexander in the slot.  As a community we need to come up with a good name for those guys.  

10 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

I just feel in general Iowa (along with Wisconsin...and no I'm not a "fan" of either) is one of those schools that just puts out guys who know how to make it work at the next level. Just look at the Packers' recent history with that school: Micah Hyde, Mike Daniels, Brian Bulaga, Aaron Kampman were all hits. Abdul Hodge is probably the only one you'd count as a miss (I"m not counting Ross Verba...was too young). Makes me all the more optimistic about the pick

Not so sure about that, some of the footwork in the drills didn't look great either. 

That Combine backpdal was brutal. It soured my opinion on Jackson............. for about a day. Then after hearing Saban talking about finding other ways to cover (than backpedalling) and considering his stellar tape, which is THE most important thing along with the mentality of the guy, I thought, ok, he is still a very good player. Watch him against Northwestern or Wisconsin, for example - he is very good.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Thought we might trip dip ala Edwards, Vinson, McKenzie

Vinson is a GB hero, not for play on the field, but as an essential piece to one of the most lop-sided player-for-player trades in NFL history. 

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:
  1. That Combine backpdal was brutal. It soured my opinion on Jackson............. for about a day. Then after hearing Saban talking about finding other ways to cover (than backpedalling) and considering his stellar tape, which is THE most important thing along with the mentality of the guy, I thought, ok, he is still a very good player. Watch him against Northwestern or Wisconsin, for example - he is very good.

I'm not judging Jacksons game yet cause I havent seen it. Not that I'm not valuing the input of those that have and who've studied him far more than I - but the primary complaints - or possible areas of concern (better put) that I've seen raised were his abilities in press coverage off the LOS and his tackling enthusiasm against the run. Meanwhile, I heard he's got good / ball hawking instincts (because he was a WR in the past).

Well didnt we just get rid of a guy who fit that bill?

1. Not so hot in press man/man coverage.
  2. good closing / ball hawking skills.

So who's to say we cant learn from our past and we're looking at a multi talented athlete who could be the eventual replacement for our current FS HHCD - as well as a boundary CB in zone schemes or case of injury to another?

Multi dimensional athletes are a good thing IMO.

At FS - no more press man/man concerns or need for tight coverage skills off the LOS as the FS can sit back, monitor the QB while the passing routes are coming to him and use his ball hawking (previous WR talents) to chase down the ball for INT's.

Lets evolve in our own thinking as well.

I've absolutely no clue if this is how things will play out with Jackson - BUT - if he shows the lack of press man/man coverage skills off the LOS - we now know for certain another place for him could exist - and the current owner of that position is on the last year of his contract.

Just say'in.

41 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Vinson is a GB hero, not for play on the field, but as an essential piece to one of the most lop-sided player-for-player trades in NFL history. 

^ Yep!

Now I know there's a guy who will get my "Hammertoe" reference in another thread!

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It is hard not to love Jackson in the second as much as you would have hated him in the first.

I'm thrilled.  Beyond thrilled.

GB struck out in free agency on big name corners.  Drafted 2 of the top 4.  Corners drafted to play corner.  Much different than taking a safety and basketball player to play corner. Who were they ? Sometimes my memory auto-deletes, to save space pain.

It is hard for me to not smile when thinking of the future of that secondary with King at 6'3'', Jackson at 6'1'' and Alexander in the slot.  As a community we need to come up with a good name for those guys.  The Shadenfreudes (look it up if you aren't sure))

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

That Combine backpdal was brutal. It soured my opinion on Jackson............. for about a day. Then after hearing Saban talking about finding other ways to cover (than backpedalling) and considering his stellar tape, which is THE most important thing along with the mentality of the guy, I thought, ok, he is still a very good player. Watch him against Northwestern or Wisconsin, for example - he is very good.

Didn't mean to imply I'm not glad of the pick or anything of that nature. Just that it wasn't just the 40 time that dropped his stock at the combine. 

Archived