Is there a way to make preseason better without cutting games?

MacReady

What would happen if preseason games counted for something somehow?  Wouldn't that be the best compromise between adding 2 games to the season or cutting two preseason games?  I'm not suggesting preseason games should count as wins, but what if preseason games factored into ties in the regular season?  What if preseason wins factored into tiebreakers at the end of the year? 

Goodell just said he's in favor of cutting preseason games and I just feel like they're neglecting an obvious compromise between 18 game regular seasons and 2 game preseasons. 

If there were rules in place for snap percentages for certain players, I think it could be a decent compromise to what the players and the NFL are fighting over.  Attendance would go up if the games counted for ANYTHING. 

Just kill the preseason. It's basically a glorified practice.

I would like if they could somehow turn that 3rd preseason game into a "season preview" where the starters do not leave the field. However, there would need to be an incentive that paid off in the regular season for coaches to not say, "Oh darn! All of my starters got injured in the 3rd quarter...shucks!" And making a regular season incentive in the pre-season is just dumb.

So just kill it. Nobody wants it except fans. And fans think they want it. Then they watch the games and realize how boring and meaningless they actually are.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Just kill the preseason. It's basically a glorified practice.

It's really not.

Shorten the pre-season by 1 game, start the regular season one week earlier, add another bye-week during the season. The NFL gets an extra week of ad revenue and players get an extra rest week.

Honestly, I don't view anything wrong with the preseason (well, outside of charging regular season prices for games). The problem is with the fan base. The rabid appetite for football makes it appear that something is wrong with it. Every sport has a pre season - but you really don't hear this kind of talk for baseball, hockey or basketball. The preseason is to start shaking off the rust, help get players comfortable in game situations, evaluating your roster, particularly on the back end, and just getting everything set for the season, etc etc etc. The problem isn't preseason, the problem is the fans. We are the ones who want the preseason to be something more than it is or is supposed to be. 

I like preseason because it lets players show what they can do in a real game. Some players just don't practice well and may never get a chance if there is no preseason games to allow them to display what they can do. I agree with cddolphin about getting rid of the 4th game if there must be a change as most decisions are already made by then.

I think the preseason could instantly be fixed if it became the first tiebreaker after head to head match ups.  If each game stipulated that no player can play more than X amount of snaps in a preseason game, with raised snaps towards the end of preseason, the team with the best preseason record would hold a tiebreaker after head to head.  It would instantly make second string QBs more valuable, and thus give them more development, which would lead to better eventual starter options at the QB position. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think the preseason could instantly be fixed if it became the first tiebreaker after head to head match ups.  If each game stipulated that no player can play more than X amount of snaps in a preseason game, with raised snaps towards the end of preseason, the team with the best preseason record would hold a tiebreaker after head to head.  It would instantly make second string QBs more valuable, and thus give them more development, which would lead to better eventual starter options at the QB position. 

I feel like that would be the football version of using the all star game to determine home field advantage in the world series. I don't like that idea at all. 

I don't know why people are trying to change the preseason. If you want to cut it's length, go ahead...but there's nothing wrong with it. IT is what it's supposed to be...

Just now, Forge said:

I feel like that would be the football version of using the all star game to determine home field advantage in the world series. I don't like that idea at all. 

I don't know why people are trying to change the preseason. If you want to cut it's length, go ahead...but there's nothing wrong with it. IT is what it's supposed to be...

If it was up to me, there would be one preseason game and 16 regular season games.  I'm hoping there's a compromise with the preseason so we don't add 18 games to the regular season.  I think that's completely and wholly stupid and would create more injuries. 

7 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

But if it counts toward the regular season results in some fashion, then it's not really preseason anymore is it?

I like what the preseason stands for. Gain valuable reps for a young team but I cant stand when the starters only play for like 1 series. Like, what does that even do for you. Play the players. Some veteran groups dont need it such as the Patriots offense or the Broncos defense because they know what they are doing, but 75% of the offense/defense units could def. use more than a qtr or two here and there.

Imagine if a middle of the road team played their starters for at LEAST one half each game. How that would work for their chemistry and experience once the season rolls around.

I understand getting young players reps so they can prove that they can do--but the most important thing is getting the starters in game shape.

I know i'm probably in the minority, but i love preseason football.  As somewhat of a draft junkie, it's a fun chance to see depth players you'll otherwise never get much chance to see, a last hoorah for certain college players who will spend the rest of the year on practice squads, etc.  A chance to see what your team has beyond just "the starters and backups".  Plus, there are always funny mistakes and guys laying it all out there on the field trying to sneak into a final roster spot.  You get riverboat coaching decisions and you get to see actual kick returns again.

I don't enjoy it in the same sense as actual games...but if you get into the right mindset, it's awesome.  It's all upside, lighthearted football watching fun.  No reason to be upset when you team is stinking it up or getting blown out.  Just fun to watch the good plays and see how certain guys look.  Football enthusiasm is all topped up after a long dead season.

I can understand why the more casual or less draft-focused fan might not have any interest in it.  Or spoiled fans of say...teams that actually win real games year after year with ease, might find it particularly trivial.  :D  But i enjoy it as it is, for what it is.

Now, I agree that preseason kind of sucks. Unless I'm watching the Vikings, I don't care about your depth players, though I might want to see your first round pick play, especially if they are a QB.

What can you do to make it better?

If you shorten it by a game, I think that could work, but if you're adding in another regular season game, you have to rework a lot of stuff schedule wise. And not just schedule wise, injury wise, roster size likely would need to go up, they might be making more money, but they'd be spending more money (obviously less money spent than taking in).

But are we going to reach a situation where there are more injuries, so teams going into the playoffs aren't as good and playoff football is being played at a lower level. A while ago, when there was talk about adding games, I went through and looked through the numbers for players going on the IR. First, let me say I'm going off of memory. But the numbers were pretty consistent across 4 week spans, with the exception being the end of the season, those last four weeks the numbers are higher. Still, if the numbers are consistent, you are looking at a consistent addition to the IR. Now, don't expect that end of the season jump, which happens because teams put players on the IR who would normally not go there during the regular season, because if you're going to miss the playoffs and you have someone in week 15 get injured and they'll miss a week or two, they go on the IR so you can get a practice squad player on the roster and start your evaluation process earlier.

20 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That is undoubtedly, probably, the worst idea I've ever read.  

I personally would prefer that they cut at least 1 preseason game and making it a regular season game, but that would require a roster expansion (and that additional game could easily be made an international neutral site game, so no one would ever have to lose a home game). 

Preseason should remain what it is, a preparation for meaningful football...we can see (in college football) what it's like not having any preseason...it's often ugly football and with such a limited amount of games, it's important that the teams are in the best position possible to be prepared to play meaningful games.  

As counterproductive as this sounds - hold out big name players. 

Now, if you watch football for the named players, then you'll be disappointed. But if you want to see guys playing at full speed, looking to make big plays - go with the fringe guys who are on the bubble and need to stand out to make the squad.

Honestly, preseason is what it is - tune up games for the 17 weeks of full on action. Don't think you can spice it up.

Archived