5th Round Pick (138th Overall): Cole Madison [OL; Washington State]

Packerraymond

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If it had anything to do with Helinski why go through the draft process, sign a contract and go to minicamp?

I think it's probably a football fire thing. I mean the draft and minicamp is fun. Now camp rolls around and it's time to leave family and friends at home for at least 6 months every year for as long as you play. Also taking a big physical and mental toll on your body. If you aren't all in, you're going to have serious second thoughts.

Might be he got a chance to talk to Helinski's mom and it messed him up.

Might also be he's developed a heroin addiction.

There's no way of knowing at this point. All we can do is speculate.

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If it had anything to do with Helinski why go through the draft process, sign a contract and go to minicamp?

because heroin is expensive ?

Its a pretty huge decision either way and the kid is probably having a rough time with the whole thing.

Can't really expect perfectly rational behavior under these circumstances

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think it's probably a football fire thing. I mean the draft and minicamp is fun. Now camp rolls around and it's time to leave family and friends at home for at least 6 months every year for as long as you play. Also taking a big physical and mental toll on your body. If you aren't all in, you're going to have serious second thoughts.

Plausibly, the CTE findings. CTE can only be diagnosed by postmortem examination so we really don't have much data on how early the onset is, etc. That's part of why the Hernandez case was so shocking, was that he was only 26 and had had full-blown stage 3 CTE. Remember, CTE is a form of dementia. Hilinski was a 21 year old kid, he spent his collegiate career as a backup, so he wasn't racking up hits there. And yet, he had dementia. He had holes in his brain. The doctor described it as being like the brain of a 65 year old man. This all came out in late June. Maybe this comes out and Madison is just stuck there thinking about how many more hits he took than Hilinski, and wondering what his brain looks like. Maybe he was stuck focused in training mode and just never got a chance to decompress and process until he got back into the the world of the football team, except now it's all new faces and it makes it painfully obvious how much he misses his friend. It's all speculation but in the absence of anything else to go off of, something along these lines seems most likely to me.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:17 PM, Cakeshoppe said:

...The doctor described it as being like the brain of a 65 year old man.

Suffering cracks like that is one of the crappy aspects of being 65.

Chris Borland is another player that decided the money wasn’t worth the risk to a long, healthy life.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:17 PM, Cakeshoppe said:

Plausibly, the CTE findings. CTE can only be diagnosed by postmortem examination so we really don't have much data on how early the onset is, etc. That's part of why the Hernandez case was so shocking, was that he was only 26 and had had full-blown stage 3 CTE. Remember, CTE is a form of dementia. Hilinski was a 21 year old kid, he spent his collegiate career as a backup, so he wasn't racking up hits there. And yet, he had dementia. He had holes in his brain. The doctor described it as being like the brain of a 65 year old man. This all came out in late June. Maybe this comes out and Madison is just stuck there thinking about how many more hits he took than Hilinski, and wondering what his brain looks like. Maybe he was stuck focused in training mode and just never got a chance to decompress and process until he got back into the the world of the football team, except now it's all new faces and it makes it painfully obvious how much he misses his friend. It's all speculation but in the absence of anything else to go off of, something along these lines seems most likely to me.

There's other things that can cause this sort of brain disease, like mad cow disease, and just plain old aging. If you want to really play it safe, give up eating meat and stop aging. 

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Mum's the word at this point.

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd put him on a reserve list where I didn't have to pay him and he was out for the year. The kids heart isn't in it so there is no need to pursue this any further. It's hard enough in the NFL if you are 100% committed. This kid clearly is not. 

5 hours ago, Golfman said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd put him on a reserve list where I didn't have to pay him and he was out for the year. The kids heart isn't in it so there is no need to pursue this any further. It's hard enough in the NFL if you are 100% committed. This kid clearly is not. 

Except that, NONE OF US, know if it's a commitment issue or not.

He could of came to mini camp, and heard MM give a speech about taking care of family, taking care of yourself and then taking care of your football business.

He could have a dying family member that's slowly and painful going to be dead before the season is over and wants to spend as much time with them.

He could of realized he has a drug problem and decided to commit to getting clean before joining the Packers.

Lots of things could of happen... it's probably a close family member, or something mental that he's going through... and fixing it so that he can solely focus and commit to having a healthy football life might be his goal... so basically we know nothing.

Well I don't see this kid making the roster this year, which is fine. We have plenty of talent at that position and he wasn't going to crack the starting spot anyways. I'd say at this point and time if he does show up, he's a potential PS player. I honestly could care less at this point and time. If he's that messed up in his head because of his friends death, we don't need or want someone that is mentally not prepared for football. And if it's drugs, like I've also heard rumors on, well then let's just cut ties now in general. Anybody know if he'd have to give up his signing bonus? We already have Justin McCray, Lucas Patrick, Kofi Amichia and Lane Taylor all seated in front of him anyways. 

I hope Cole is okay. You can really only hope for the best for him personally.

If it is some type of family issue that drags, wonder if GB has a shot at getting Cole on the Commissioner's exempt list for a period, since cutting a rookie in that scenario would be heartless/bad PR? Typically that is only used for players facing legal issues, but you never know.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:45 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Might be he got a chance to talk to Helinski's mom and it messed him up.

Might also be he's developed a heroin addiction.

There's no way of knowing at this point. All we can do is speculate.

I agree, it's all speculation, but I just saw somethings and it had me wondering.

I saw where Helinski and Madison were said to be best friends on the practice field... that Madison was a VERY avid hunter, often going hunting when he got enough free time... and that Helinski took a former teammates rifle to commit suicide, and no one knew until the next day and at the time Madison was in Florida. This is pure speculation, but I wonder if he might of taken Madison's rifle to do that.... again pure speculation... but I just think if that happened to me, it would mess with my mental state. No matter what it is, I feel bad for the kid, because you know it's something that personal and hit him real hard in a negative way.

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

I agree, it's all speculation, but I just saw somethings and it had me wondering.

I saw where Helinski and Madison were said to be best friends on the practice field... that Madison was a VERY avid hunter, often going hunting when he got enough free time... and that Helinski took a former teammates rifle to commit suicide, and no one knew until the next day and at the time Madison was in Florida. This is pure speculation, but I wonder if he might of taken Madison's rifle to do that.... again pure speculation... but I just think if that happened to me, it would mess with my mental state. No matter what it is, I feel bad for the kid, because you know it's something that personal and hit him real hard in a negative way.

May very well be the case. Damn that would be awful.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/45370/packers-rookie-cole-madisons-agent-plan-is-still-to-play

“The plan is still to play,” Colin Roberts, one of Madison’s agents, told ESPN.com on Monday. “At this point, he’s still dealing with a personal thing like Brian said.”

“We don’t expect Cole back anytime soon,” Gutekunst said. “This will take a little time for him to deal with. We’re fully supportive of what’s going on.

“He’s dealing with an issue, and when that issue is resolved, then we’ll get back to the football part of it. We’re in constant communication, and in full support of him at this time.”

does not seem like he will be returning this season. Personally, I’m continuing under the assumption that he is retired and any return will be a pleasant surprise. 

On 8/3/2018 at 5:18 PM, Golfman said:

What? How the heck do you know his heart isn't in it when you don't even know why he's not at camp? Seriously, some people need to just learn to shut it until they have the facts. Gutey and MM sure seemed understanding of why he's not here.

Archived