5th Round Pick (138th Overall): Cole Madison [OL; Washington State]

Packerraymond

25 minutes ago, Lunch Pail said:

Is this guy dead? 

I posted this in one of the other friends, but apparently he was very close with the WSU QB–Hilinski– who committed suicide back in January. Hilinski had called Madison his role model and said he viewed him as an older brother in some prior interview. It recently came out that the postmortem examination showed he had CTE. I suspect that has a lot to do with his absence. Not only is one of his best friends gone, but he now knows that the 21 year old kid who spent his collegiate career as a backup QB had developed dementia from the sport and that may have contributed to his death. I certainly wouldn't blame him if that gave him some second thoughts about continuing down the football path.

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I still have not been able to find the NSFW that was referenced earlier in this thread based on name similarities. #dissapointed.

Jayden Cole - Madison Ivy.

That's the mix up, apparently they did a pleasant spread together.

Bing is a perv.

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

Jayden Cole - Madison Ivy.

That's the mix up, apparently they did a pleasant spread together.

Bing is a perv.

Never once occurred to me to use Bing for anything, though I've heard it's better for that sort of thing. Thank you

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I posted this in one of the other friends, but apparently he was very close with the WSU QB–Hilinski– who committed suicide back in January. Hilinski had called Madison his role model and said he viewed him as an older brother in some prior interview. It recently came out that the postmortem examination showed he had CTE. I suspect that has a lot to do with his absence. Not only is one of his best friends gone, but he now knows that the 21 year old kid who spent his collegiate career as a backup QB had developed dementia from the sport and that may have contributed to his death. I certainly wouldn't blame him if that gave him some second thoughts about continuing down the football path.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/tyler-hilinski-suicide-details-rifle-teammates-luke-falk-tribute-washington-state-qb/10i5euchrtor61rcuc7qk17ae6

Yup, Fair chance the loss of his friend is part of the reason for his absence in GB during TC...

Hopefully Cole shows up at some point soon, but there could be something to him rethinking his career path after that CTE news.  He did attend rookie minicamp, so apparently at that point he wasn't questioning whether or not to play football.  The CTE news came out in late June, so perhaps that had an impact.  In the sporting news link above it says Hilinski's body was found by two of his teammates .. not sure if Cole was involved there or not, but that could cause some serious emotional trauma.  Either way .. hopefully the kid finds success and peace of mind moving forward.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Hopefully Cole shows up at some point soon, but there could be something to him rethinking his career path after that CTE news.  He did attend rookie minicamp, so apparently at that point he wasn't questioning whether or not to play football.  The CTE news came out in late June, so perhaps that had an impact.  In the sporting news link above it says Hilinski's body was found by two of his teammates .. not sure if Cole was involved there or not, but that could cause some serious emotional trauma.  Either way .. hopefully the kid finds success and peace of mind moving forward.

I seriously think he was one of the teammates that found him. Several of my closer friends and a few colleagues have had to deal with the loss of a loved one over the past two years and it's an incredibly time-consuming process to finalize everything from identifying the body(if necessary), to the execution of a will(if one exists), to all the legal hoops you have to jump through, and then onto all the other little things that pop up unexpectedly. The time-table to closing an estate takes months, if not years sometimes.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I seriously think he was one of the teammates that found him. Several of my closer friends and a few colleagues have had to deal with the loss of a loved one over the past two years and it's an incredibly time-consuming process to finalize everything from identifying the body(if necessary), to the execution of a will(if one exists), to all the legal hoops you have to jump through, and then onto all the other little things that pop up unexpectedly. The time-table to closing an estate takes months, if not years sometimes.

I don't think Madison would have been one of the ones that found him. He was training for the combine in Florida and had to fly in for the the memorial just a few days afterward.

8 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I don't think Madison would have been one of the ones that found him. He was training for the combine in Florida and had to fly in for the the memorial just a few days afterward.

OK but don't you think it would still have an adverse effect on him?

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

OK but don't you think it would still have an adverse effect on him?

Yes I think the death of his close friend and the realization that the sport of football may have played a role in it is probably having a pretty serious effect on him. I was just pointing out that I don't think he was at the scene.

If it had anything to do with Helinski why go through the draft process, sign a contract and go to minicamp?

I think it's probably a football fire thing. I mean the draft and minicamp is fun. Now camp rolls around and it's time to leave family and friends at home for at least 6 months every year for as long as you play. Also taking a big physical and mental toll on your body. If you aren't all in, you're going to have serious second thoughts.

Archived