2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Good vid on the character and work ethic of WR Kelvin Harmon.

Him and AJ Brown are my top two WRs. I know Harmon isn't blazing fast, but he's a terrific route runner, great hands catcher, and understands the nuances of his position. Oh, and he's 6'3. He's the perfect Shannahan WR.

Seem to be struggling with the quote function all the sudden. 

@NinerNation21

Yeah, and while I also see what people criticize of Harmon of the many body catches, I don't think it's a reflection of poor hands. He has natural catch hands to catch the ball well away from his body, but seems very complacent with too many body catching. He will need to tighten that up, yet it should be no problem doing so. I think he just gets too casual with it because it can be too natural and comfortable for him, if that makes sense. He's got the work ethic to snap out of that habit. 

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Thornhill feels too Combine-Warrior + Safety-board-unfold-reactionary.

He's earned more respect and value, sure, but he's still a day 2 guy for me.

I see the logic in taking advantage of a deeper WR class later..  yet I feel Harry is the WR1 and mid 1st rd guy, so landing him at 36 holds much more value than taking a S that I value a good bit less. 

Different strokes for different folks though. 

In fairness, this pick was for day 2 LOL. His combine was better than it should have been, but I don't give him the combine warrior label. I usually reserve that for guys who completely go crazy there after minimal on field production in games. Thornhill has quality tape. I just don't know if his speed and athleticism is all that we are led to believe from the combine. 

That being said, I kind of think that we don't address safety at all in this draft class. I think that we will go d-line, WR, and then maybe linebacker / offensive line / tight end. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

In fairness, this pick was for day 2 LOL. His combine was better than it should have been, but I don't give him the combine warrior label. I usually reserve that for guys who completely go crazy there after minimal on field production in games. Thornhill has quality tape. I just don't know if his speed and athleticism is all that we are led to believe from the combine. 

That being said, I kind of think that we don't address safety at all in this draft class. I think that we will go d-line, WR, and then maybe linebacker / offensive line / tight end. 

Yes. I get that feeling, too. Alas. I have gone Malik Hooker and Minkah Fitzpatrick in previous years and learned my lesson. 

Just now, candyman93 said:

So ST gets placed at 3-tech if you draft Bosa? That makes the most sense to me.

Thomas will likely split time between end and the interior. Depends on the situation. He's a fine edge defender against the run, just can't rush the passer worth a crap from there, and I find that he and Armstead will likely continue to do that on early downs (Armstead will bounce all around though). Thomas will then kick inside along with Buckner for interior pass rusher. Bosa (if selected) and Ford would then be the edge rushers on pass rushing downs. 

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Yes. I get that feeling, too. Alas. I have gone Malik Hooker and Minkah Fitzpatrick in previous years and learned my lesson. 

I went Minkah last year as well. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I feel the same way. I feel the team is content to try and run with Ward/Colbert. It's a mistake- because once Ward ends up on IR we're recruiting from the street again. Even a mid-round guy should be the bare minimum. 

8 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I feel the same way. I feel the team is content to try and run with Ward/Colbert. It's a mistake- because once Ward ends up on IR we're recruiting from the street again. Even a mid-round guy should be the bare minimum. 

Exum did pretty decent last year and he got resigned as well. 

14 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

He did okay, but I would rather not see him on the team in 2019.

I really don't think a rookie drafted in the 4th/5th this draft would do better than Exum did this year. Is Exum a guy i want starting for us? No but as a back-up i think he has value since he has played both spots. 

27 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I really don't think a rookie drafted in the 4th/5th this draft would do better than Exum did this year. Is Exum a guy i want starting for us? No but as a back-up i think he has value since he has played both spots. 

He played both spots out of necessity, not by choice. If the team gets down to the point where Antone Exum is starting, then everything has already gone haywire. But there's basically no need to keep a 6th year veteran around if the nicest thing you can say is "I don't want him to start, but he's played both safety spots at least." That's a guy you replace with someone who has a higher ceiling. 

I mean, there's always an Antone Exum available in emergency. For example, when the team needed a body at the position in 2017 in mid-November, they went out and signed Antone Exum. 

7 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

If the team gets down to the point where Antone Exum is starting, then everything has already gone haywire.

Well now that just seems a bit on the dramatic of sides. 

giphy.webp?cid=3640f6095c92b75b677048354

7 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

He played both spots out of necessity, not by choice. If the team gets down to the point where Antone Exum is starting, then everything has already gone haywire. But there's basically no need to keep a 6th year veteran around if the nicest thing you can say is "I don't want him to start, but he's played both safety spots at least." That's a guy you replace with someone who has a higher ceiling. 

I mean, there's always an Antone Exum available in emergency. For example, when the team needed a body at the position in 2017 in mid-November, they went out and signed Antone Exum. 

And if we draft someone i totally understand that Exum will be gone but because of the guys we have under contract right now i think we won't draft a safety this year. And with Exum he is good enough to be the 5th S on your 53. Offcourse it would be better to have someone with a higher ceiling and i totally expect us to add at least some UDFA's to battle for that spot.

Archived