Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

We were pretty bad at 3rd/4th and short runs in 2016. 29th in the league on runs with 2 or fewer yards to gain. Passing on those downs, we were 8th in the league. With a very small sample size, we did pretty well both passing (6th) and rushing (3rd) on those downs in  the first 5 weeks of 2017.

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

We were pretty bad at 3rd/4th and short runs in 2016. 29th in the league on runs with 2 or fewer yards to gain. Passing on those downs, we were 8th in the league. With a very small sample size, we did pretty well both passing (6th) and rushing (3rd) on those downs in  the first 5 weeks of 2017.

And 2016 was the last year that RIP produced anything for us on the ground:

2016 - 34 attempts for 150yds for 2TDs & 10 first downs. (Btw - of all those stats, the one I like the most is the 10 first downs).

2017 - 5 attempts for 13yds for 0 TDs & 0 first downs.

If they're "reworking" the playbook - or reconsidering things at least - the fullback position (or the current starter at the position) might also get reworked.

As for this: we did pretty well both passing (6th) and rushing (3rd) on those downs in  the first 5 weeks of 2017 - I think speaks to having a stable of healthy RBs. 

On 5/28/2018 at 10:53 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Any chance fullback was more of a Thompson thing than a McCarthy thing?  I doubt McCarthy was pounding on Thompson's door demanding we keep three fullbacks in 2009 and 2010.  Quinn Johnson had 5 career catches, 0 rushes.  Korey Hall had 6 total receptions, 0 carries the two years we kept three fullbacks.  It's not like McCarthy is using fullbacks a whole hell of a lot except for pass protection.  I would be mildly surprised if Ripkowski wasn't on the roster, but not shocked. 

The 3 FB thing was a combination of things. Hall was a core guy Ster. Kuhn was supposed to be a camp body but played his way to starting and was a core Ster. QJ was a decently high pick (kept more for political reasons of being a 5th round fb, also I think there was regret about letting leach go)

7 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

The 3 FB thing was a combination of things. Hall was a core guy Ster. Kuhn was supposed to be a camp body but played his way to starting and was a core Ster. QJ was a decently high pick (kept more for political reasons of being a 5th round fb, also I think there was regret about letting leach go)

Kuhn had already been around before this happened though, he wasn't a camp body

On 5/26/2018 at 10:25 AM, NormSizedMidget said:

Ty will sign with NE and everyone will freak out haha

And he will catch 15 balls in a SB win ala Vareen and White cause Brady knows the power of the dump off.

10 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Kuhn had already been around before this happened though, he wasn't a camp body

You’re right on Kuhn. My point was intended to be more along the lines that Kuhn really wasn’t seen as “the guy” fullback until like 2010 as they used relatively high draft capital 09 on the position. Kuhn wasn’t the highest billed player coming out by any means

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Don't think the press get access to the non-public ones. Tomorrow there will be a lot of chatter hopefully.

Ah, thought they still did interviews afterwards even for the non-public ones. 

Archived