Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

If Odom lost 20 pounds no way he was 270 last year. More like 280-285. He's a big boy out there. He was standing right in front of me Saturday. They list Perry at 265 and he's about the same size. I didn't get to see DL/OL 1v1's just DB/WR. He was a monster for ATL last preseason though, definitely has some juice.

86bca8e0-ab7a-48b8-85cc-c2ecdc1a94bf-21_

c5ed4802-b2cd-4f00-8207-c2d88e1999bc-22_

Here's number 98 in action

If the Green Bay Packers didn’t think they had something with rookie linebacker Chris Odom, they wouldn’t have kept him on the roster for 16 games last season with a total of 59 snaps played.

What they saw in practice Tuesday had to validate their decision some.

“Now that I’ve been an outside linebacker, I know how to do both,” he said. “So I know how to be a hand-down true defensive end in certain situations or I can stand up and be an outside linebacker.  “It helps to be a universal player. The more knowledge you have, the more you’re worth.”

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

If the Green Bay Packers didn’t think they had something with rookie linebacker Chris Odom, they wouldn’t have kept him on the roster for 16 games last season with a total of 59 snaps played.

What they saw in practice Tuesday had to validate their decision some.

“Now that I’ve been an outside linebacker, I know how to do both,” he said. “So I know how to be a hand-down true defensive end in certain situations or I can stand up and be an outside linebacker.  “It helps to be a universal player. The more knowledge you have, the more you’re worth.”

That would be nice if the Packers wound up with something there ... Odom was kind of a forgotten man last year.  The Packers have several guys in their 2nd season with the team that could provide a huge boost this year .. Kevin King, and Montravious Adams come to mind rather quickly.  Who knows, maybe Odom can make some impact.

18 hours ago, Kenrik said:

So if the offense runs 4 or 5 wide you're getting pretty thin by the time the 3rd team offense gets on the field. 

You're pretty thin at that point regardless...

If we don't add another ILB, I hope the plan is to play a lot more 4-3. Slide Perry/Gilbert/Odom to the end position opposite Wilkerson and have Matthews/Fackrell/Biegel at the SAM alongside Martinez and Burks/Jones. Seems like a much better defense schematically versus a 3-4 that has Burks and Martinez as your starting ILB's. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

If we don't add another ILB, I hope the plan is to play a lot more 4-3. Slide Perry/Gilbert/Odom to the end position opposite Wilkerson and have Matthews/Fackrell/Biegel at the SAM alongside Martinez and Burks/Jones. Seems like a much better defense schematically versus a 3-4 that has Burks and Martinez as your starting ILB's. 

I think Ryan would have only been on the field for 40 to 50% of the defensive snaps to begin with.  With that being said, we need someone else like Fackrell to play on the strong side.  Matthews will probably take some of those snaps, but I'd love to see a vet fill that need much like Dial at the 5T and Brooks at OLB last season.  They played their roles well even though they didn't play all that much.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Who are you pulling in the nickel?

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who are you pulling in the nickel?

Initially, probably Burks until he's comfortable then honestly probably Martinez. As good as Martinez played last year, pass coverage was his weakest area. I don't necessarily view him as an every down ILB. Question is, when he's out, who's getting the D set, etc. 

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Initially, probably Burks until he's comfortable then honestly probably Martinez. As good as Martinez played last year, pass coverage was his weakest area. I don't necessarily view him as an every down ILB. Question is, when he's out, who's getting the D set, etc. 

We could have Revis and Sanders as our ILBs and you would ***** about their coverage. You've entirely punted on maintaining any kind of perspective on this issue.

Also Wilkerson as a full time edge rusher is just ugly as hell.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We could have Revis and Sanders as our ILBs and you would ***** about their coverage. You've entirely punted on maintaining any kind of perspective on this issue.

Also Wilkerson as a full time edge rusher is just ugly as hell.

Wilkerson wouldn't be a full-time edge rusher. In the nickel, you might slide him inside to rush with Daniels, Perry and maybe Adams (if he's for real) off the ends. Ideally, you'd move Wilkerson around to match him up. I'm sure Pettine will mix in some 2-4 and 3-3 as well in the nickel.  

Punting on perspective? I just made a statement that Martinez (right now) is not top-notch coverage backer. I mean, we just drafted Burks presumably because we realized we need to improve in that area with our ILBs. Burks wasn't drafted to fill holes and stop the run. Maybe Martinez improved that part of this game, but he's never been an elite athlete. I think there are plenty of situations, assuming Burks can handle it (or Jones), where you take Martinez off the field. 

Archived