Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm late to the party regarding the WR discussion over the last several pages.

Someone mentioned Boykin as a YAC receiver. He is NOT a YAC receiver at all. He was more of a possession receiver. Excellent hands but offered little else. He was basically the Richard Rodgers of WRs. This is why he never established himself and gradually found himself out of the league. I feel that Geronimo is in that similar category but he is a little quicker and a little shiftier and he has this wonderful opportunity that Boykin never had. I think it is fair to compare the two.

I was a big fan of Miller during the draft process. I absolutely thought he was a Jennings/Driver type WR that would prove to a excellent fit in our offence. But judging from the way the front office operated I don't think he was a high priority for them as they were actively targeting taller and faster WRs. I bet that if the front office were faced with choosing between Miller and DJ Chark in the 2nd round they probably would've gone for the latter.

As well as Kumerow has done so far I just cannot see any room for him on the roster. The Packers has a draft and develop philosophy which is why J'Mon, EstB and MVS will get the nod over him. The only way for him on the roster is if EstB or MVS is proven to be far too raw and completely useless on special teams.

I know we freak out about cutting our late round WRs and worrying about other teams swooping in before we could get them onto the practice squad but that scenario very rarely if ever happens. The closest to that happening recently was Charles Johnson but he actually made it onto the practice squad after cuts before eventually being pried away.  We cut Dorsey, White,  Abbrederis, Johnson, Yancey, Clark, Geronimo and they all made it through to our practice squad. Dupre was one we never bothered to re-sign. I have this theory that Packers WRs are actually not that sought after by NFL teams because its our offensive system with an elite QB that make them look good rather than the players themselves being talented. The proof of that theory is backed up just by looking at that underwhelming list of players i've just made. Based on history EstB or MVS will more than likely end up on the practice squad if the cut happens.

Unless someone else steps up as a returner Davis is a lock to make the roster. Yancy is on life support...not long now before we pull the plug. He got just over 3 weeks left to turn it around but I'm not holding my breath.

hard to beat this YAC

19 minutes ago, craig said:

Jake Kumerow is 26, younger only than Cobb at 27.  

Okay.....but that tells me nothing about how he plays the position.
Whats he been doing? Whats been holding him back? What can he do for us - if anything?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/03/aaron-rodgers-wr-jake-kumerow-having-fantastic-camp/

The results follow the surprising theme of Kumerow’s first seven practices.at camp. Veteran beat writer Bob McGinn believesKumerow has been the “second or third best” receiver behind Davante Adams so far this summer.

“If you’re playing today, you’d like him (Kumerow) on the field,” Rodgers said, via Michael Cohen of The Athletic.

Not bad... I was the only one on this board that mentioned he even had a chance to make the roster in the weeks leading up TC. 

That Bengals WR Depth Chart was no joke (as I pointed out previously), there's a reason why LaFell was just released. 

I have no problem with Kumero making the team.  As long as it means that Davis is gone.  It is no surprise that once the pads went on we haven't heard a peep from Davis in camp.  I'd have a huge problem keeping a small WR that offers little to nothing at his position when we have other options at PR and KR.

Like some have mentioned before, Kumero and Allison fit the possession receiver mold.  Both of those guys are going to struggle to win deep.  When we don't have receivers winning deep, teams with a good pass rush and a good secondary can suffocate the offense with cover-2 and man under.  

They take away everything underneath and force 12 to hold on to the ball.  From there the offense quickly resorts to broken plays to move the ball.  

I'm sure one of those 3 rookies will fail to make the initial 53.  ESB and MVS both have that Charles Johnson feel to them so I would hate to lose one or both, especially because the offense desperately needs speed at that position.  But I do agree that whoever they do cut would likely find their way to the practice squad.  

Davis has had his chances.  Time to give one or two of the rookies a shot to make an impact. 

3 hours ago, Cheech said:

I have no problem with Kumero making the team.  As long as it means that Davis is gone.  It is no surprise that once the pads went on we haven't heard a peep from Davis in camp.  I'd have a huge problem keeping a small WR that offers little to nothing at his position when we have other options at PR and KR.

Like some have mentioned before, Kumero and Allison fit the possession receiver mold.  Both of those guys are going to struggle to win deep.  When we don't have receivers winning deep, teams with a good pass rush and a good secondary can suffocate the offense with cover-2 and man under.  

They take away everything underneath and force 12 to hold on to the ball.  From there the offense quickly resorts to broken plays to move the ball.  

I'm sure one of those 3 rookies will fail to make the initial 53.  ESB and MVS both have that Charles Johnson feel to them so I would hate to lose one or both, especially because the offense desperately needs speed at that position.  But I do agree that whoever they do cut would likely find their way to the practice squad.  

Davis has had his chances.  Time to give one or two of the rookies a shot to make an impact. 

You think Cover-2 is the defense that teams play when they're not afraid of getting beat deep?

5 hours ago, Cheech said:

Kumero isn't making the team, you can bank on that.  Every year, fans freak out about these "veteran" WRs who are producing in camps, and year after year they're released during cutdowns.  You've got your 3 "starting" WRs (Adams, Cobb, and Allison), you've got your high developmental guy (J'Mon Moore) as your 4th WR.  Your 5th and 6th WRs are either developmental prospects or hold ST value.  Kumero really isn't that.  MVS and Trevor Davis both offer ST value, which is why I'd give them the leg up for those last two WR spots.  ESB needs to standout if he wants to make the 53 man roster, otherwise he's going to get cut and they'll try and bring him to the PS.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Kumero isn't making the team, you can bank on that.  Every year, fans freak out about these "veteran" WRs who are producing in camps, and year after year they're released during cutdowns.  You've got your 3 "starting" WRs (Adams, Cobb, and Allison), you've got your high developmental guy (J'Mon Moore) as your 4th WR.  Your 5th and 6th WRs are either developmental prospects or hold ST value.  Kumero really isn't that.  MVS and Trevor Davis both offer ST value, which is why I'd give them the leg up for those last two WR spots.  ESB needs to standout if he wants to make the 53 man roster, otherwise he's going to get cut and they'll try and bring him to the PS.

Yoy know more than A A Ron do ya?

7 hours ago, Cheech said:

I have no problem with Kumero making the team.  As long as it means that Davis is gone.

Trevor Davis is one of the best punt returners in the NFL and you want him cut because he's not a good receiver? 

9 hours ago, Cadmus said:

“If you’re playing today, you’d like him (Kumerow) on the field,” Rodgers said

Its a boost for Kumerow and an acknowledgement that he's doing it right

Its also a message to the draft picks, letting them know what THEY need to do to make this squad.

Just being drafted isn't enough...

9 hours ago, Cheech said:

Has he really though?

He's only had 14 targets in his career.  In the two games he's actually had multiple targets he has 6 catches on 7 targets for 80 yards and a TD.

Davis doesn't fit the mould though. They seem to want big, tall receivers now. Look who they drafted and Kumerow. I don't see three rookies making the team, but could happen depending on special team contributions. Can Kumerow be an effective gunner? If the answer to that question is "yes," then it could end up: Adams, Cobb, Allison, Kumerow, Davis, and one of the three rookies, with the odd rookies out going onto the PS. If someone else emerges as a better kick/punt returner then: Adams, Cobb, Allison, Kumerow, and two of the three rookies. Kumerow has been impressive. Don't count him out!

Just now, wgbeethree said:

Has he really though?

He's only had 14 targets in his career.  In the two games he's actually had multiple targets he has 6 catches on 7 targets for 80 yards and a TD.

Blasphemy.  Or the opposite of blasphemy.  Trevor Davis cannot possibly be good at anything ever. 

Adams, Allison, and Cobb seem a lock for offensive play.

Davis seems a lock for specials play. 

Moore seems a lock for draft position.

IF you bring six, it seems you're making a choice between MVS, ESB, and Kumerow.

MVS holds the ST value.

Kumerow probably holds the offensive value for this year.

Kumerow is 26. Gotta believe that's going to damn his chances.

Archived