Who is your "Surprise" cut and why?

vegas492

Not too surprising but Geronimo.  A reliable but moderately talented 5th/6th ish option in the passing game with a limited ceiling who brings nothing to special teams.  He wouldn't be cut in initial cut downs since he's suspended but could see it happen

On 8/13/2017 at 10:30 PM, PackMan22 said:

I think we could trade Cobb pretty easily. He's a poor man's Brandon Cooks, and the saints got a 1st rounder for him. I'd be shocked if we couldn't get anything for Cobb.

He's also the only real slot-type WR we have with Monty moving to RB. 

Cooks wasn't on a 4-year, $40+m deal. If he was, there's no way New England made that trade.

23 hours ago, jleisher said:

Total surprise cut, Clay Matthews Jr.  Why?  His production doesn't match his pay.  My 2nd pick, TE R. Rodgers, if Sandland comes back and plays well could push Rodgers out, trade or cut.

This is just my opinion. 

You don't have to say it's just your opinion.  It's a pretty out there prediction, and I'm surprised nobody pointed out how out there it is, but even if it is out there, just argue your point and don't be afraid of how people respond to it.  The same exact predictions and opinions get boring, so keep giving your predictions and opinions without worrying about who argues with you. 

After 2 preseason games, Jason Spriggs.  He has possibly been the worst of the offensive linemen that have been out there thus far.  Constantly giving up pressures, hits, and sacks.  If it weren't for his draft status, he'd already be gone with two games like that.  If any of the street FAs put that on tape, they wouldn't be allowed to take a shower, just go home.

Just now, DavidatMIZZOU said:

After 2 preseason games, Jason Spriggs.  He has possibly been the worst of the offensive linemen that have been out there thus far.  Constantly giving up pressures, hits, and sacks.  If it weren't for his draft status, he'd already be gone with two games like that.  If any of the street FAs put that on tape, they wouldn't be allowed to take a shower, just go home.

It makes me want to come up with an equivalent to convince myself to not give up hope, but I can't think of an offensive lineman that looked so bad only to turn it around.

18 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It makes me want to come up with an equivalent to convince myself to not give up hope, but I can't think of an offensive lineman that looked so bad only to turn it around.

He was better last year than he is now.   Somehow he's regressed.  Befuddling really.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I can recall plenty of regressions.  But not so many retributions.  As down on Adams as many seemed to be, I don't recall him being this bad.  Usually there is a 3rd stringer that makes part of a preseason frustrating because he is a sieve.  Most of them are UDFAs, not second year, second round picks that were part of a trade up.  I was advocating letting Bakhtiari walk and rolling with Spriggs, I was dead wrong. 

On 8/20/2017 at 0:06 AM, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I can recall plenty of regressions.  But not so many retributions.  As down on Adams as many seemed to be, I don't recall him being this bad.  Usually there is a 3rd stringer that makes part of a preseason frustrating because he is a sieve.  Most of them are UDFAs, not second year, second round picks that were part of a trade up.  I was advocating letting Bakhtiari walk and rolling with Spriggs, I was dead wrong. 

Yah, I'd like to add myself to that list...

I've been very, very disappointed with Spriggs.  He's going a lot of dumb things wrong.  Little things, coachable things, things that he should have down pat by now.  Like blocking down when he shouldn't.  Or...he turns his shoulders on passing plays, not a little bit, but a lot.  You turn that left shoulder inside and that just frees up the edge.  And he does that alot, like he had been beaten inside a lot in drills and he's bound and determined not to let it happen again.  So, there goes the edge.  And he plays with no aggression.

I agree, if he were an undrafted free agent, he'd just hit the shower and head home.  But as a second round pick, here we are.  Very disappointed.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yah, I'd like to add myself to that list...

I've been very, very disappointed with Spriggs.  He's going a lot of dumb things wrong.  Little things, coachable things, things that he should have down pat by now.  Like blocking down when he shouldn't.  Or...he turns his shoulders on passing plays, not a little bit, but a lot.  You turn that left shoulder inside and that just frees up the edge.  And he does that alot, like he had been beaten inside a lot in drills and he's bound and determined not to let it happen again.  So, there goes the edge.  And he plays with no aggression.

I agree, if he were an undrafted free agent, he'd just hit the shower and head home.  But as a second round pick, here we are.  Very disappointed.

I was in that group as well that thought by giving up a couple picks to get Spriggs he would likely be the LT of the future.  Bak then fully came into his own and showed himself to be a must sign guy.  Spriggs looks terrible so far .. not sure what his problem is.  I think he gives up a bit too quickly and needs to show more tenacity.  We've got a couple of fairly high picks that haven't worked out well .. wonder if the packers could look to swap a Spriggs or Randall for a pass rusher.  Every now and again there are these 'change of scenery' trades where teams swap their highly selected disappointments.  Usually they don't work out much different, but perhaps there is a guy out there that is 3-4 OLB stuck playing a position he's not cut out for.  

Give Spriggs some time, if he really added as much weight as reported it takes the body some time to get used to. I tried to add 20lbs in college one year and I was a mess in spring ball. He has too good of feet to fail, he just may have to lose some of the weight and struggle in the run game. Cliffy was never good in that regard either. 

My surprise cut is Trevor Davis. I'm guessing the final WR group will be something like: Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Janis, Geronimo, McCaffery, and Yancy, with Clark and Duprey on the practice squad. What has Davis done to make the team? His punt returning ability is offset by his fumbles. Janis is better all round on special teams and is looking finally like an NFL receiver. Geronimo has better height. McCaffery has better hands and looked pretty good returning punts too. Yancy has better size. Thoughts?

40 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

My surprise cut is Trevor Davis. I'm guessing the final WR group will be something like: Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Janis, Geronimo, McCaffery, and Yancy, with Clark and Duprey on the practice squad. What has Davis done to make the team? His punt returning ability is offset by his fumbles. Janis is better all round on special teams and is looking finally like an NFL receiver. Geronimo has better height. McCaffery has better hands and looked pretty good returning punts too. Yancy has better size. Thoughts?

I can't argue against any of that.  Except that Davis has something you can't coach...pure speed.  

Archived