How good is Jadeveon Clowney?

SBLIII

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Joey Bosa is 2 years younger than Clowney and is more productive. I'm taking him without hesitation.

I like Clowney a lot, but he's not as good as Mack, Bosa, or Miller IMO.

He is not as good in sacks although improved with 9.5 last season but he was 1st in TFL in 2016 and 2nd in 2017. He can defend the run very well and set the edge. However there are better pure pass rushers. 

There are times were Jadevion Clowney gets into a full sprint and just bull rushes an OL into oblivion and I think "Welp, that guy is dead. He's not gonna get up from that..."

Clowney will probably never get the numbers that people look for, and his technique simply doesn't get the job done on a consistent basis, but he's perhaps the most violent human being I've ever seen on a football field (edit: next to Lawrence Taylor). It doesn't mean that he's great at football, it just means he's violent. It's entertaining in itself to see a man take a 320 OL and throw him six feet backwards...

I'd probably take every name listed ahead of Clowney for football purposes. If I'm looking for "holy moly, he just crushed that dude's skull," moments, I'm taking Clowney. 

On 5/17/2018 at 7:41 AM, SmittyBacall said:

Brett Kollman gives a great breakdown of what makes Clowney so great. 

This was actually a very interesting watch, thanks. Even as a guy who watches every Texans snap, I didn't catch much of that until it was broken down in such a fashion. 

He sees a lot more progression in his technique - I don't, but perhaps I need to watch Clowney a bit more intently.

Archived