Marcedes Lewis in the fold!

cooters22

Makes total sense.  Thought we would be looking to add a veteran TE.  We needed a blocking TE very badly.  OK we now have 3 guys.   Decent group.  Agree with others we will absolutely need to draft a some young quality TE's next year.  Was the weakest position group on the roster coming in.  Gute has filled it adequately at least for the short term.  He may still be kicking the tires on some OLB help.  Some have mentioned Shane Ray.  Wouldn't that be nice.

3 hours ago, Cadmus said:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/0ap3000000934348/Top-10-Marcedes-Lewis-plays-2017-season&icampaign

The redzone packages with Graham and Lewis. 

Some overlap between the two videos. 

Despite the departure of Nelson the Packers still look to be mighty hard to stop in the red zone.  I love that the Packers are going for length .. it will really pay off in points. 

We can also go 11 personnel with Graham as WR 2 and have that be both a lethal passing or running combination with Lewis as the inline TE. 

Our redzone offense has some real size to it as well, with our only real slot guy being very sound in the broken play department. I just hope the days of throwing back shoulders to these tall guys is over.

Great signing I think. It has always seemed to me that the Packers are most dangerous when their offense is situated from 10-20 yards out in the redzone. He could be a very handy tool there. 

So, listening to the video, we call him “Marsaydeez”?

Just now, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Is it fair to say that Lewis brings Richard Rodgers' A game every week?

He's a load. Not gonna outrun many guys down a seam (although there's a good chance that somebody will be a LB) - but he doesnt need to. He's HUGE and can just stand in front of a DB and block out his sun! Good signing. I see no downside.

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

He's a load. Not gonna outrun many guys down a seam (although there's a good chance that somebody will be a LB) - but he doesnt need to. He's HUGE and can just stand in front of a DB and block out his sun! Good signing. I see no downside.

Upgrade over stone hands Lance for sure.

When you look at all the Tall Timbers assembled in GB, both at TE and at WR - it shows some of their thinking. The Packers are trying to widen the windows of opportunity for AR.  If you limit the "separation" to the X, Y plane -  you're missing out on the Z axis

This is 3 D separation and the vertical window opens up more space to hit taller players like Marcedes who are losing their ability to separate horizontally

MM talked about it in his recent presser: Giving AR more/bigger/better/different windows to throw into on Sunday.  DickRod wasn't able to separate horizontally and at 6'4 his vertical window isn't as enticing as the longer-armed and taller Marcedes Lewis & Jimmy Graham. Think back to Jermichael Finley vs AZ in the playoffs - he just went up and over the DB to ****** the ball.

Check out 1:42 and 2:42 and 2:50 for some examples. Lewis and Graham aren't the athletes that Finley was, but it still shows the value of opening up those vertical windows.

I agree. No way Kendricks is cut. In fact, one could argue that the Lewis signing doesn't really factor into the TE2 or TE3 role in regards to receptions. We know who the starter is and the other two guys will have their own niche. 

Outside of that, I really like this signing simply because Lewis is a better receiver than people will credit him for. Consider who his QB's have been...

Also, in regards to his blocking skillz, I think it would behoove us to try and come up with some packages for Lewis and Murphy to work in tandem on either side of the line. Murphy is lethal as a run blocker with a TE covering him. Additionally, we could line up Monty or Cobb in the slot to run jet sweeps more effectively.

Archived