Share Your 53 Man Roster Predictions

Cadmus

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Day I want to keep, I've been a fan of his all offseason, think he has a shot. Pankey stepping up and being so versatile hurts him but if Murphy is anything serious I'd have no issues with him going to IR and keeping Day.

Mbu I don't think this is a the roster for. A run plug only with the talent of the 5 in front of him makes it real tough. Are you going to cut that 10th DB or LB who is probably on the 2 deep of all your S-teams to keep a 6th DL who is pretty much a guarantee to be an game day inactive unless for injury? I think he'll be claimed elsewhere. I think Sheehy showed enough to be the younger PS version of Mbu if that want that type to develop more.

Pretty much how I seen it also. Day might be starter good a center right now but as a center only type his value dies on cut day. I sure hope they can find another Mbu if anything should happen to Clark. 20 year's ago Mbu would have made a lot of money in this league but it's not 20 year's ago....

The practice squad was practically designed for a QB like Boyle.

Disjointed and fairly unproductive college career due in part to extenuating circumstances beyond his control, Mad Bomber arm and mentality that leads to big plays -- both good and bad, but with a severe lack of polish/understanding required at the NFL level.

I like Boyle's game, he is fun to watch. 

But he does not merit a spot on the 53 if the team is aiming for a SB.

1 hour ago, palmy50 said:

By the way, I'd love to know when and how badly Murphy got/is hurt? Might change some things.

Happened during the 2nd quarter of the Raider game. I believe he was at LT when it happened

Coach Mike McCarthy revealed Murphy was fighting through an injury during the game, and reporters in the locker room Sunday saw him with a walking boot on his right foot. “Kyle’s injured, we’ll see how he is the next couple of days. That was part of what he was dealing with,” McCarthy said.

So GB could could potentially IR Murphy if he was amenable to it, but he spent all of last season on the shelf
Not sure how attractive he'd be to other teams with a bad wheel.

8 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

The practice squad was practically designed for a QB like Boyle.

Disjointed and fairly unproductive college career due in part to extenuating circumstances beyond his control, Mad Bomber arm and mentality that leads to big plays -- both good and bad, but with a severe lack of polish/understanding required at the NFL level.

I like Boyle's game, he is fun to watch. 

But he does not merit a spot on the 53 if the team is aiming for a SB.

I wouldn't fight you on a word of that really. I've been told their not going to get themselves in a spot again where their backup QB can't hit Rodgers marks on the tree. Like him or hate him, Boyle sure can rip it. People will say keeping him is because they lost the QB last year. I disagree. I think the Hundley experience has them holding a premium on Boyle and that arm talent. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Cobb as an emergency RB keeps me from rostering any of the below average backs we have behind our top 3. Don't like any of the UDFAs or Mays that much. Cobb can get you out of a game at RB and you have a week to bring up a PS guy, then Jones is back.

I do like Mays enough to keep him over others, and more than Cobb at RB.  That said, the guy had zero point zero impact in any of his PT, and has been injured most of his time in GB.  He cannot make the team.  I have no problem with bringing him back for the PS if they want to, but it is a pretty hard sell for a roster spot IMO.

I would already cut Kumerow for guys that he absolutely out-played, I don't want to get the reputation as a place where UDFAs don't get a fair shake.

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Happened during the 2nd quarter of the Raider game. I believe he was at LT when it happened

Coach Mike McCarthy revealed Murphy was fighting through an injury during the game, and reporters in the locker room Sunday saw him with a walking boot on his right foot. “Kyle’s injured, we’ll see how he is the next couple of days. That was part of what he was dealing with,” McCarthy said.

So GB could could potentially IR Murphy if he was amenable to it, but he spent all of last season on the shelf
Not sure how attractive he'd be to other teams with a bad wheel.

That's what I seen on film also. If that Raiders game was because of an injury that will keep him out for a week or two I keep him. Murphy is not athletic enough to lose any though. If last years injury cost him a step he might not be worth the spot. 

This is assuming no trades and before claims, which I'll take about later in the notes.

QB(3): Rodgers, Kizer, Boyle
RB(2): Williams, Montgomery
FB(1): Ripkowski
TE(3): Graham, Kendricks, Lewis
WR(7): Adams, Cobb, Allison, Moore, MVS, ESB, Kumerow
OL(9): Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, McCray, Bulaga, Spriggs, Murphy, Pankey, Patrick

DL(6 ): Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Adams, Lowry, Looney
ILB(4): Martinez, Burks, Thomas, Morrison
OLB(5): Matthews, Perry, Gilbert, Fackrell, Biegel
CB(6): Williams, King, Alexander, Jackson, House, Rollins
S(4): HHCD, Brice, Jones, Whitehead

Special Teams(3): K: Crosby, P: Scott, LS: Triner

Suspended: Aaron Jones (2 games)

Notes

Just Missed:  RB Bouagnon, TE Tonyan, WR/ST Davis, OL Bell, OLB Donnerson, ILB Martini, CB Waters, CB Hawkins, SS Evans, LS Bradley...... the bold are guys I'm still arguing about maybe finding ways to get on over another currently still on the 53.

Rumor: I've heard a rumor that the Packers are inviting for trade offers on 4 or 5 guys, to gauge their trade market. If they hear the right price/offer they might be traded. It sounded like mostly guys in contract years. I didn't believe it at first, but after the Hundley trade, he might of been one of them.

Offense: I think the Packers could try to claim a 3rd RB for the first two weeks (or keep Mays or Bouagnon). Traditionally MM has always kept a FB, but it feels like we really haven't been using them the last two years and I really didn't use him being used much in preseason, so I wonder if he could be gone. I think we could see a trade or surprise cut at WR, opening another spot for 3rd RB or WR/ST Davis. I wonder if there might be movement along the OL, but not sure.

Defense: I believe, on average, Pettine's 3-4 defenses have normally kept 7 DL, 6 CBs and 4 of everything else. This is why I have a 6th DL and none of them stood out that much to me, but Looney did flash some nice pass rusher once in a blue moon, and he's a draft pick so I kept him. I had Martini making it, until this Morrison trade (which I'm having trouble gauging Morrison since he's a late comer, but Gute's words seemed like he wants him around). Biegel almost made my 53 man roster by default and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for another defender, but I think he's got more physical potential, but something's holding him back. No one seems to love Rollins, then again the 6th CB often doesn't get much love... Rollins made it because of his versatility.

Special Teams: Triner has snapped better than the drafted LS (maybe Gute's first wasted pick?) Also it was hard to cut ST players like WR Davis and SS Evans and they very well might make it... but I didn't see them show enough in this training camp from them. Also, I still want to see OLB Donnerson with that 4.45 speed on STs, specifically to get a shot at playing gunner (it's happened before on other teams if a guy is fast enough), but I would think it'd be hard for a CB to jam him at the line.

2 hours ago, palmy50 said:

It's a flip of a coin for Kumerow vs Davis IMO. If they went Kumerow I'd be more than OK with it.

Goodson would have been the next CB in line for me. LIS, I'm not a Waters guy and the player I would have had at CB6 just got traded to the Colts. Shame Hawkins can't find the ball because he's one hell of an athlete.

Guess I'm holding out hope that they'll eventually come to their senses and move Biegel inside at some point. 

I like Greene and want to work with him but would be willing to roll the dice that they can stash him. I'm also pretty high on Rollins THE MAN and want to get a long look at him at safety. Whitehead is just a guy but at least he knows what he's doing out there. Not sure that can be said for Evans and Jones at times. Teams play and a level of trust keep him over Greene. If they keep Greene over Whitehead I'd be more than OK with it though.

I don't really know what they see in Waters.  He just seems fairly sub-par at pretty much every part of being a corner.  Can't say I watched him super closely, but I never saw a guy who looked like he'd be a player.  Can't really mirror in man, no instincts for zone, seems a step behind everywhere he goes.  I loved Pipkins and had him CB6 since the end of last season, but as you've said, he's gone now.  Agreed 100% on Hawkins, and Brown has just been a nightmare this preseason.

Really curious that you want to keep Rollins though.  I've liked Q since day 1, I really like his attitude from what I've seen, how he carries himself and how he responds to struggles, but...I mean, he's a 26 year old 5'11 DB who never could really run who looks like he's lost several more steps with the achilles', on the last year of his contract and who probably wouldn't see the field period this year.  It's hard for me to give up a roster spot for that on the hope that we can resign him as a UFA next season to maybe make a shift to S.  The only thing that does make me consider it is how ugly the Packers' S group is at the moment, and their total lack of a good center fielder.  I mean, I wouldn't be mad if they do it, I will never not root for him, just don't think I could make that move personally.

I'd probably take Kendricks over Rollins, because I think Kendricks will bring something to the field this year at least.  I can also see just rolling with Tonyan in that spot though.

I think I might also make the case for keeping Looney on the active roster, although I'm sure he'd make the practice squad.  Actually I sort of just talked myself out of that.  I like a few of the young DTs, but I think pretty much any of them would make the PS.  I really like Sheehy's intensity, I felt he showed pretty well against the 4th string types.  Probably would be 3rd behind Looney and Mbu for me though.

Random, and Incomplete, Final 53 Musings:

TE: The Packers keep Tonyan over Kendricks, he’s young, he’s played well, will cost less money, AND seems like the perfect developmental prospect behind veterans Lewis and Graham.

FB: RIP stays. MM likes to have an old-school pure fullback on the squad (as opposed to an H-back), and Ripkowski is a solid ST player. Kerridge may have had a chance, but he just can’t stay healthy.

ILBs: in addition to Martinez and Burks when he’s healthy, will be Thomas, Morrison, and probably Martini, who has played well on special teams and in situational snaps from scrimmage. He could go to PS when Burks returns, IF Morrison can pick up the defense.

OLBs: Beigel probably in and probably Fackrell, unless the High Command likes Donnerson or ?__?__?

WR: I think Davis gets cut, unless the Packers can find a trade partner that wants him. Allison and the 3 Amigos, along with Cobb and Davante are the top 6, for now. 

Kumerow to IR, unless he’s ready to play. I’m unsure if he has any PS eligibility left.

QB: I don’t see Boyle making the 53. It’s just hard for me to believe the Packers would use a roster spot for QB3 when they’ve been had such lousy luck at OL, DB, and with injury-prone Matthews and Perry. I DO think the Packers will try and sign Tim to the PS. 

Archived