2018 Draft Eligible OL Thread (OT, OG, C)

CalhounLambeau

Connor Williams had a great game against WVU. He's always played hard, always played with a little nasty, always finished blocks, but his pass set has also always been a little bit of an issue. His pass set looked much better this game. He was getting to his spot, he was maintaining pretty good relationship especially against wide rushers, he was pretty patient with his hands, he was recovering well, overall a much better performance. Still needs to fix some things when he's first getting into his set, but he was already much more efficient his first game back. If he keeps this up the 1st round hype should finally be warranted.

45 minutes ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

This IOL class is special with the likes of Quenton Nelson, Will Hernandez, Braden Smith, Frank Ragnow, Billy Price, Isaiah Wynn, Coleman Shelton, Scott Quessenbery. The OT class has flopped.

Braden Smith moving inside was easily the best thing to happen to him. He has looked dominant there since the move and Darius James has looked good next to him at RT (he might move inside at the next level). Nelson is an elite talent but Hernandez and Smith are going to be borderline 1st rounders. Isaiah Wynn moving back to G in the pro's will be a big plus and I also liked Scott Quessenbery a lot the night against USC. Was really standing out to me in that contest. Always helps when your brother is an NFLer.

Connor Williams did come back strong the other day but is going to have to keep that up against Texas Tech and a bowl game. McGlinchey is purely a RT in my eyes, Rankin is probably better off inside though I do like him overall, Okorafor is an interesting prospect but a bit underwhelming to me. I really think North Carolina A&T's Brandon Parker could emerge as a 1st rounder due to potential and the way the position is shaking out. Senior Bowl is going to be huge for him.

1 hour ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

This IOL class is special with the likes of Quenton Nelson, Will Hernandez, Braden Smith, Frank Ragnow, Billy Price, Isaiah Wynn, Coleman Shelton, Scott Quessenbery. The OT class has flopped.

I'm super stoked about this as a 49er fan. We actually don't have issues on the outside with Staley and Brown, but our interior line is a mess. Fusco has been up and down this year, but not awful, but I like him as guard #2 or maybe even the top back up. But Kilgore at center and Tomlinson / Beadles at guard have been disastrous. We could get a big upgrade on the line from this draft class; at least that is my hope. 

The LT class isn't as bad as we think. Desmond Harrison (LT, West Georgia) has absolutely dominated at West Georgia, wish he wouldn't have gotten in trouble at Texas, Connor would be at RT if he was still in Austin, because of his off the field issues (I think it was a few failed drug tests, but he looks recommitted on tape), he needs to interview well, and dominate at the all star games to prove he just isn't a man amongst boys. I am also pretty big on Jemarco Davis (LT, Ohio State) is another guy I like, and he is a lot like Taylor Decker IMO (not the most athletic, but his technique makes up for it). And Andre Dillard looks like a late first early second round LT right now. It's not as bad as we think. Just most of the guys on top have been playing like bums this year, and Adams was lost for the season. 

I really like Tyrell Crosby as a RT and potential OG. Don't see Pro Bowl talent, but he is a tough workhorse with enough foot speed. I think he is a low R2 talent that will drop to R3 with lesser players getting combine hype, but is a guy that can become an average RT by his second year, which is great value for a R3 pick.

Also, Will Hernandez is an absolute monster. A R1 talent IMO.

16 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I really like Tyrell Crosby as a RT and potential OG. Don't see Pro Bowl talent, but he is a tough workhorse with enough foot speed. I think he is a low R2 talent that will drop to R3 with lesser players getting combine hype, but is a guy that can become an average RT by his second year, which is great value for a R3 pick.

Also, Will Hernandez is an absolute monster. A R1 talent IMO.

I put out my big board yesterday and had Will Hernandez as a 1st rounder. He would have to completely bomb testing for me to drop him out. Reminds me a lot of Trai Turner. Does an excellent job of keeping his feet clean for a man of his size, allowing him to get to the second level and lock on. 

I also like Crosby as a RT. The guy finishes plays. Senior Bowl will be big for him as, barring better testing than expect, I don't think he could rise into first, but a good senior bowl week could lock him into the top 45.

59 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I'm not seeing it with Connor Williams. His feet are stuck in the ground and he struggles to change direction. I actually think he make a much better OG than OT.

He has struggled in two games vs P5 teams this year and looked really good in the other one. The tools are there but I do agree his play to date has been underwhelming. I wasn't even a huge fan of his play last year. I think he is a nasty run blocker but it's almost mental with him in pass pro. I've noticed he really struggles to recognize blitzes and stunts, not picking up the right guy. William's older brother was a QB and now a GA at West Virginia so people looking for a guy from a football family will get one. Medicals will be big and in a weak OT draft class, he will still likely go 1st round..

7 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

He's a lot better than a lot of the other guys who are supposed to be good. Gets to his spot impressively quick, keeps his elbows in tight and low to take on pressure.

Where do you have him ranked in comparison to the other tackles?

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Where do you have him ranked in comparison to the other tackles?

Haven't watched enough of many guys to have them legitimately ranked, but he's definitely in the top group. Aaron Stinnie, Alex Cappa, Mason Cole, Connor Williams, Joseph Noteboom, Tyrell Crosby, and Isaiah Wynn are all guys I like. Stinnie and Cappa are from small schools but they're very talented. Mason Cole is solid, great in space, though I'm guessing whoever takes him doesn't actually keep him at LT (but he can play there). Need to watch Williams from this last week and what he does in the bowl game, but he has a lot of potential. Nasty player, great in the run game, still needs to develop his pass set. Actually hope he stays in school. Noteboom has a great set, does very well in TCU's zone schemes, has good power though too. Crosby has switched between LT and RT a lot, but he seems to finally be settling in at LT. Great power, great rotational strength, nasty player, just needs to be more consistent in his set and learn more advanced techniques. Isaiah Wynn probably moves to IOL in the NFL like Cole, but he's got the skills to play wherever IMO. 

Orlando Brown has great power, but he doesn't finish plays as often as he should. Need to watch more of him. Never really like Martinas Rankin. Haven't watched Okorafor yet this year.

Where would everyone rank Nelson in comparison to other highly touted guards that have come out in years past? Also, being that he's a guard, how high are you willing to put him on your overall prospect rankings? Is he a top 5 prospect in this draft? 

Archived