2018 Draft Eligible OL Thread (OT, OG, C)

CalhounLambeau

No thank you on Connor Williams. His lack of strength is apparent when watching him (and hard to miss).  I think he has bust written all over him, I also would not be surprised to see him fall past the second. 

My top five at OT is as follows:

1. Mike McGlinchey 
  2. Brian O'Neill 
  3. Orlando Brown
  4. Jemarco Jones
  5. Desmond Harrison

I think Mike, O'Neill, and Brown are the only players at the position who I view as locks to be first rounders if they all enter (I know one is), I think Jones can sneak his way in as well. 1, & 4 won't blow people away, but I think they will be starters for 8-10 years+ as Blindside protectors. O'Neill and Harrison have they highest ceiling out of all these guys, but I think they will show more during the offseason to really move up draft boards. Brown is IMO, the best RT prospect to come out in a while. He has potential being a LT, but I want to see how he handles speed during the offseason, and against UGA and maybe Clemson/Alabama. 

2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

No thank you on Connor Williams. His lack of strength is apparent when watching him (and hard to miss).  I think he has bust written all over him, I also would not be surprised to see him fall past the second. 

My top five at OT is as follows:

1. Mike McGlinchey 
  2. Brian O'Neill 
  3. Orlando Brown
  4. Jemarco Jones
  5. Desmond Harrison

I think Mike, O'Neill, and Brown are the only players at the position who I view as locks to be first rounders if they all enter (I know one is), I think Jones can sneak his way in as well. 1, & 4 won't blow people away, but I think they will be starters for 8-10 years+ as Blindside protectors. O'Neill and Harrison have they highest ceiling out of all these guys, but I think they will show more during the offseason to really move up draft boards. Brown is IMO, the best RT prospect to come out in a while. He has potential being a LT, but I want to see how he handles speed during the offseason, and against UGA and maybe Clemson/Alabama. 

Mike McGlinchey stinks. He is decent in run blocking but his pass protection is dreadful. He's truly a liability in pass protection. I wouldn't touch him until late day 2. Not in my top 5 and certainly not OT1. Just watch his games vs Miami and NC State as well as MSU last year. I fully expect Arden Key to blow by him in the bowl game should they both play. He can't keep up with quick edge rushers. All in all, he's likely a RT or OG at the next level.

2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Brown is IMO, the best RT prospect to come out in a while. He has potential being a LT, but I want to see how he handles speed during the offseason, and against UGA and maybe Clemson/Alabama.

There really is little difference between the difficulty of playing RT and LT in the NFL. LT is only a bit more valuable because their on most QBs' blind side, but RTs face better pass rushers on a regular basis.

Oklahoma protects Brown on the edge. They have him down block a bunch on what I assume are RPO plays. He doesn't work to the second level well, but he is a people mover. I view him as a guard in a primarily inside zone/gap offense. Pro comp for me is Kelechi Osemele.

19 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

There really is little difference between the difficulty of playing RT and LT in the NFL. LT is only a bit more valuable because their on most QBs' blind side, but RTs face better pass rushers on a regular basis.

Oklahoma protects Brown on the edge. They have him down block a bunch on what I assume are RPO plays. He doesn't work to the second level well, but he is a people mover. I view him as a guard in a primarily inside zone/gap offense. Pro comp for me is Kelechi Osemele.

Didn't Osemele play LT for the Ravens for a whole season and was very good? The way you described Brown, doesn't even remotely describe Osemele. 

20 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Mike McGlinchey stinks. He is decent in run blocking but his pass protection is dreadful. He's truly a liability in pass protection. I wouldn't touch him until late day 2. Not in my top 5 and certainly not OT1. Just watch his games vs Miami and NC State as well as MSU last year. I fully expect Arden Key to blow by him in the bowl game should they both play. He can't keep up with quick edge rushers. All in all, he's likely a RT or OG at the next level.

I'll give you the Miami game, in terms of him playing bad. He was beaten like a like a drum by Jackson all game. But Jackson is special. 

But against NC State I am almost certain Chubb had only One pressures against Mike all day. ALL GAME. I could be wrong, but PFF says I am not. Mike also won the other one vs one match-ups they had throughout the day. I love Chubb, but that was not the best 1vs1 for him this year (far from it). 

That play against McDowell was just bad. 

Mike just needs to get better depth to cut off smaller/faster pass rushers. He will be fine, unless he plays top 5 speed a DE every week. 

He is a really good run blocker, with good enough quickness, feet, and athleticism to be an above average LT in the NFL.

It's cool, you only see a few plays on twitter and think "Hey, this guy must be awful all the time, not just these bad plays." All I am saying, you said he was a liability in Pass Protection against NC State (which is absolutely false, one snap does not determine a grade), he was good against UGA's D (which everyone seems to forget, but whatever), and got beat by arguably the fastest D-Line in the Country (which I've got nothing for). I'll take my guy who I can count on to be at least good on 7/10 pass snaps, and dominate in the run game over the guy who gets no movement in the run game, has played 6 games this year, and gets bullied by bigger D-Lineman, only reason he is highly rated is because he is a great athlete that has shown (not consistently mind you) the ability to absolutely mirror D-Lineman (but be poor technique wise), and has no mean streak on record. Because we would both rather have Matt Kalil over Taylor Decker? Am I right? 

Give me the Technician over the Athletic Freak. 

8 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Give me the Technician over the Athletic Freak. 

That's why you end up drafting guys like Robert Gallery...if you don't have the ability to pass protect at a high level, you're not of much value.  McGlinchey isn't very good.

On 12/24/2017 at 6:59 PM, CWood21 said:

That's why you end up drafting guys like Robert Gallery...if you don't have the ability to pass protect at a high level, you're not of much value.  McGlinchey isn't very good.

McGlinchey is no where near Gallery level of unathletic. Mike is not as bad in pass protection as people tend to believe. This tackle class is weak, and he's my highest rated player in the class @ #18 

On 12/24/2017 at 9:53 AM, YogiBiz said:

Didn't Osemele play LT for the Ravens for a whole season and was very good? The way you described Brown, doesn't even remotely describe Osemele. 

Osemele played LT for part of the season for the Ravens so it's a relatively small sample size. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that he's a much better guard than tackle. What about my Brown description do you think is incompatible with my Osemele comp?

14 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Osemele played LT for part of the season for the Ravens so it's a relatively small sample size. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that he's a much better guard than tackle. What about my Brown description do you think is incompatible with my Osemele comp?

Thanks for the correction, and I don't disagree with the comp. I never really thought about Brown playing Guard. hmmmm

I really feel like at the worst, you're going to get a really good guard with McGlinchey. I think a lot of his issues are solved if you slide him to the interior. Granted, you don't want to spend a top 12 pick on someone you're going to have to move inside if you need a tackle, but I Do think you'll get at least something with McGlinchey. 

I just don't see this. He isn't a mauler but he is good enough at the first level and excellent at second level blocks. He is pretty good technically too and the advanced stats showed his return to Texas was a huge boom to the run game. I would wager him as a bookend LT over any player in this draft. I think he can be a Russell Okung level LT.

Archived