2018 Draft Eligible OL Thread (OT, OG, C)

CalhounLambeau

14 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

I have

Williams

O'Neill

Cappa

Chukwuma 

Brown

Lost me there with Chukes. I just don't understand the love with this guy. I've touched on this briefly before (probably in this thread), and he moves solid for his size, but I just do not see him dominating. The guy is playing at the MAC, at times against 220 lbs. defensive ends, and I never see him put people on the ground. His tape is just a bunch of okay play. This was a kid who was convinced to play football, didn't do it because he necessarily wanted to. It would be hard to convince me to take an offensive lineman who doesn't play football out of love for the game and doesn't show a mean streak on tape.

4 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Lost me there with Chukes. I just don't understand the love with this guy. I've touched on this briefly before (probably in this thread), and he moves solid for his size, but I just do not see him dominating. The guy is playing at the MAC, at times against 220 lbs. defensive ends, and I never see him put people on the ground. His tape is just a bunch of okay play. This was a kid who was convinced to play football, didn't do it because he necessarily wanted to. It would be hard to convince me to take an offensive lineman who doesn't play football out of love for the game and doesn't show a mean streak on tape.

I think Chuk's lateral movement is amazing and not sure his strength is too bad. 

1 minute ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

I think Chuk's lateral movement is amazing and not sure his strength is too bad. 

Ability isn't my issue with him and ability wasn't lacking for Greg Robinson either. Robinson had elite talent but he didn't finish plays, had technique issues (specifically overextending and struggling to lock on in space), and was relatively inexperienced on the O-Line (didn't move there until his junior year of high school). Similar to Robinson as well, both are only 20-year old prospects. While youth is generally coveted, if you haven't shown a mean streak at a position that requires it up to that point, I don't believe that is something that just all of a sudden is going to be developed, even less likely when you take a 20-year old, throw him a cool million or two, and then required to do so. 

I'm sure Chukes tests great and probably even sneaks into the 1st round as long as he looks okay in Mobile. Just what I've personally seen, there is something clearly missing with his play and you would have a hard time convincing me to take him even in the top 100.

Also, just to expound on his lack of dominating play; Chukes didn't earn a spot on Pro Football Focus first or second All-MAC teams and if I recall correctly reading that he didn't have a single top three graded performance at OT in the MAC all season. As I said, great ability, but I just do not see it show up on tape.

No Crosby in the top 5...smh.

He is easily a R2 talent in my minds eye. I have him about tied with McGlinckey and above Brown.

Not the prettiest players but gets the job done. At worst, he is an easy projection inside to OG. He has a great lower body, really sturdy trunks but I think he could clean up his upper half. His technique is really underrated. Super high character kid too. I think he is lost in the 'combine shuffle' because he will test moderately in all the drills but he is a NFL caliber starter on the field. Its also a serious question as to how long he can hold in pass protection with Oregon getting the ball out so quickly. He may not have the lateral ability to protect the edge in the NFL, but I wouldn't bet against this kid. Again, at worst he is a OT to OG convert in the mold of a Jamon Brown. I still take his nasty, tough, hustling play over a 'measurables' type in Chuk.

1. Connor Williams (Top 16)

2. Brian O'Neill (R1)

3. Mike McGlinchey (R1-2)

4. Tyrell Crosby (R2) *** RT Only ***

5. Braden Smith (R2-3)

Not too high on Jamon Brown or Chuk after watching them. They are wall off blockers and don't know how to use their bodies enough, and that wont cut it in the NFL where they no longer dwarf the opposition.

Who are the best Centers in the draft this year? I've heard Ragnow is legit but who else do people like? 

I made a note after watching a few OK State games that their center Brad Lundblade was impressive but I really have a hard time scouting linemen consistently. 

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Who are the best Centers in the draft this year? I've heard Ragnow is legit but who else do people like? 

A lot of people really like Billy Price from Ohio State. They have a great history/pedigree there with the center position and he's pretty versatile. I think he'd be a nice get in the 2nd/3rd round and could potentially be a Day 1 starter.

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I made a note after watching a few OK State games that their center Brad Lundblade was impressive but I really have a hard time scouting linemen consistently. 

Billy Price, Frank Ragnow, Scott Quessenbery, Coleman Shelton, Will Clapp.

37 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Any thoughts on Mitch Hyatt from Clemson? See his name tied to the Texans in the 3rd. 

He is going to have a long NFL career, but is currently leaning towards returning to Clemson.  He is very good technically, not an athletic specimen but I see him being a starting LT for a long time.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

A lot of people really like Billy Price from Ohio State. They have a great history/pedigree there with the center position and he's pretty versatile. I think he'd be a nice get in the 2nd/3rd round and could potentially be a Day 1 starter.

Way to make Mike Brewster feel bad :D

On 12/20/2017 at 11:57 AM, MWil23 said:

I've seen a lot of late first round projections on Price.  But I really hope he makes it to 2.  I want him in stripes.  Bodine has been awful.

2 hours ago, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

Could Quenton Nelson play center?1

I don't see why not. He'd check all of the boxes outside of any experience that I know of...I suppose it just depends on how comfortable he is with the snap and getting into position from  that set. 

Archived