2018 Draft Eligible OL Thread (OT, OG, C)

CalhounLambeau

On 12/3/2017 at 3:33 PM, IDOG_det said:

A guard can absolutely go top 5. RB's have been going that high recently, and NFL teams have been paying guards more in free agency. If they're willing to pay free agents good money to play the position, they should be willing to draft one to play the position at a lesser price.

Especially given what seems to be a rise in disruptive, pass rushing from the interior. 

On 12/3/2017 at 5:33 PM, IDOG_det said:

A guard can absolutely go top 5. RB's have been going that high recently, and NFL teams have been paying guards more in free agency. If they're willing to pay free agents good money to play the position, they should be willing to draft one to play the position at a lesser price.

When was the last time a true OG went in the top 5?  And I'm not talking about a failed-OT, turned-OG.  I'm talking someone who was drafted with the intention of playing guard.  The only true OGs that have gone in the top 10 since 2005 are Jonathan Cooper and Chance Wamarck.  And those were both in 2013.  Quenton Nelson may very well be a top 5 player in this draft, but I'd pay a significant amount of money that he's not going top 5.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

When was the last time a true OG went in the top 5?  And I'm not talking about a failed-OT, turned-OG.  I'm talking someone who was drafted with the intention of playing guard.  The only true OGs that have gone in the top 10 since 2005 are Jonathan Cooper and Chance Wamarck.  And those were both in 2013.  Quenton Nelson may very well be a top 5 player in this draft, but I'd pay a significant amount of money that he's not going top 5.

When was the last time a true OG prospect was this good?

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

2013.  I distinctly remember people hearing about how Chance Warmack and/or Jonathan Cooper were these future HoF OGs.

To be fair, the 2013 draft was one of the worst drafts of the decade and it pushed a lot of mediocre talent up draft boards as teams became desperate to find something worth drafting.

This is a much stronger draft and the fact Nelson is getting some attention as a top 5 pick, is impressive. If he goes top 5, it could signal a change that is coming to the NFL, where a running attack returns to favour, after so many years of it being a passing league, due to rule changes, which really made it a lot easier to pass the ball.

Over he last 5 years, teams have been drafting players uniquely fitted to stop the pass, smaller, quicker and faster defensive players at every position, but players, who may be a liability against the run and this may be the time when some teams begin to really take advantage of this fact and exploit this weakness, in team's defenses.

Dallas exploited this last year and other OC's and HC's may copy them, so if Nelson goes top 5, it will definitely indicate a shift in GM's thinking. Teams that intend to pass the ball, usually do not draft OG's high.

14 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

To be fair, the 2013 draft was one of the worst drafts of the decade and it pushed a lot of mediocre talent up draft boards as teams became desperate to find something worth drafting.

Nobody thought it would be as bad as it turned out to be.  But that doesn't change the fact that even in a weak draft, an OG didn't go in the top 5.  I'm pretty sure the last time a pure IOL went in the top 5 was back in 1985.

I am a bit confused why Isaiah Wynn isn't talked about more. The guy was excellent at OG, clearly has the frame/movement/smarts to play OC and has locked it down this season as a 6'02 LT. Now, clearly he wont play OT in the NFL, but its a great testament to his versatility and that goes a long way in this league. He projects at around 305lbs, so his best fit is probably as a movement based LG in a non-power dominant scheme. But he has excellent technique (Its why he got by at LT despite his size) and plug/play potential as a rookie IMO. I think he should be in the discussion for a top 65-70 pick. Per PFF, as a LT this season he has allowed only 5 pressures on 258 pass attempts this season.

Its crazy how much size plays into this game, because if Wynn was 3-4 inches taller he would heads-and-shoulders be the best pass blocking OT in this draft and likely secure a top 20 selection.

3 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I am a bit confused why Isaiah Wynn isn't talked about more. The guy was excellent at OG, clearly has the frame/movement/smarts to play OC and has locked it down this season as a 6'02 LT. Now, clearly he wont play OT in the NFL, but its a great testament to his versatility and that goes a long way in this league. He projects at around 305lbs, so his best fit is probably as a movement based LG in a non-power dominant scheme. But he has excellent technique (Its why he got by at LT despite his size) and plug/play potential as a rookie IMO. I think he should be in the discussion for a top 65-70 pick. Per PFF, as a LT this season he has allowed only 5 pressures on 258 pass attempts this season.

Its crazy how much size plays into this game, because if Wynn was 3-4 inches taller he would heads-and-shoulders be the best pass blocking OT in this draft and likely secure a top 20 selection.

He can play tackle. Shorter guys have played there before, he wouldn't be the first to have success doing it. It's likely that he gets moved inside but the idea that he will have to is false.

He can play tackle. Shorter guys have played there before, he wouldn't be the first to have success doing it. It's likely that he gets moved inside but the idea that he will have to is false.

I think he can play OT too, but guys at 6'02 don't get drafted in round 1 to play OT. He would be a very notable anomaly if that happened. I simply don't see a team bucking the 6'04+ trend and taking Wynn in R1 to play OT.

And I think you exaggerating the number of guys under 6'04 that play OT in todays game. Even going back 10-15 years. Its very rare for a 6'02 OT to succeed in this league.

He will be drafted as an IOL with swing OT abilities should injury occur. That's my take. But regardless, he is a bubble round two talent at absolute minimum.

I love when people say "if he was two-three inches taller." You realize that there is generally scouting minimums set for a reason, right? His height isn't going to alter, so live with it and actually value him for what he is instead of going "well, if he was taller we would be talking about him as a top 20 pick." He's not, so why is the hypothetical even brought up? 

Isaiah Wynn is a great player. I have him as a 2nd rounder transitioning back to guard and he has also worked at center years ago before Georgia. I think he'll make a fine interior player as he consistently plays with great leverage.

Archived