2018 NBA Draft Thread

CWood21

Ill say this, this is the first time I am hearing about Bagley only worried about his stats and doesnt play championship basketball. If you want to go around and point out flaws on every prospect we can do it because Ive heard legit flaws from alot of the top prospects. I have never heard that Bagley only worries about his stats and doesnt play championship basketball until I heard it on here. 

Just now, stl4life07 said:

Ill say this, this is the first time I am hearing about Bagley only worried about his stats and doesnt play championship basketball. If you want to go around and point out flaws on every prospect we can do it because Ive heard legit flaws from alot of the top prospects. I have never heard that Bagley only worries about his stats and doesnt play championship basketball until I heard it on here. 

Well, it's the truth. It's not like he's a bad kid. He just has different career goals than most. 

9 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Well, it's the truth. It's not like he's a bad kid. He just has different career goals than most. 

I am just saying that I havent heard that. If that was the case with months of draft talk, that wouldve been brought up. Like I have heard everything from Ayton has the build of someone who can play defense but has question marks about his defense to the bad teams dont like Doncic but the good teams love Doncic from the simple fact that Doncic will not do well if he is the main guy on a team but he will be great if he had another great player or players playing with him. I never heard one person say Bagley is all about his stats and doesnt playing championship basketball. I have even heard that some people think since Bamba is so intelligent, some think that he might have more interest in other things other than basketball that can take his focus away from basketball which will then stop him from reaching his full potential.

I am just saying that I havent heard that. If that was the case with months of draft talk, that wouldve been brought up. Like I have heard everything from Ayton has the build of someone who can play defense but has question marks about his defense to the bad teams dont like Doncic but the good teams love Doncic from the simple fact that Doncic will not do well if he is the main guy on a team but he will be great if he had another great player or players playing with him. I never heard one person say Bagley is all about his stats and doesnt playing championship basketball. I have even heard that some people think since Bamba is so intelligent, some think that he might have more interest other than basketball that can take his focus away from basketball. 

It's been brought up plenty. It's just not something that went public.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What makes Boston any better than say the LA Clippers or Toronto?  I mean, Boston has been good at drafting lately, but we're also talking about guys they spent top 10 picks.  Guys drafted in the second half of the first round over the last decade include Ante Zizic, RJ Hunter, James Young, Lucas Nogueira, Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo, Mar'Shon Brooks, Avery Bradley, and JR Giddens.  Of those, you would probably argue that Avery Bradley and Jared Sullinger are the most successful of the bunch.  Those are a couple of good players, but nothing great.  It's a good gamble to make given how talented he is, but pretending like Boston is going to quell those concerns seem optimistic at best at this case.

I think the current culture and above all coach make all the difference. Its why we saw the one bright spot in the guys you mentioned blossom when Stevens got there. The same guy who has mostly flamed out since leaving. 

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

It's been brought up plenty. It's just not something that went public.

Well thats interesting. Especially since pretty much everywhere Bagley was no lower than 4 at worst. Even Max Kellerman on First Take tried to dispute that he would take Carter Jr. and Jackson Jr. over Ayton. But he even said too he would also take Bagley over Ayton as well and thats the first time I have heard anyone say they would take Carter Jr. or Jackson Jr. over Ayron but he still had Bagley high. He totally thinks outside the box sometimes. All I am saying is consensus Bagley has always been up there and those who knows the game of basketball wouldnt have him up there if the thought was he doesnt effect a time in a positive way in regards to winning. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I think the current culture and above all coach make all the difference. Its why we saw the one bright spot in the guys you mentioned blossom when Stevens got there. The same guy who has mostly flamed out since leaving. 

Why would a late FRP relate more to a top 10 pick than other late FRP or early SRP?  He's closer to Semi Ojeleye, Ante Zizic, Demetrius Jackson, RJ Hunter, Marcus Thornton, and James Young than Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, or Jayson Tatum. 

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Well thats interesting. Especially since pretty much everywhere Bagley was no lower than 4 at worst. Even Max Kellerman on First Take tried to dispute that he would take Carter Jr. and Jackson Jr. over Ayton. But he even said too he would also take Bagley over Ayton as well and thats the first time I have heard anyone say they would take Carter Jr. or Jackson Jr. over Ayron but he still had Bagley high. He totally thinks outside the box sometimes. All I am saying is consensus Bagley has always been up there and those who knows the game of basketball wouldnt have him up there if the thought was he doesnt effect a time in a positive way in regards to winning. 

Kellerman has no idea what he's talking about. And there are plenty more people out there than those who are in the media. Guys like Givony, KOC, and Schmitz are the best in the business and know what they're talking about. But even they get it wrong sometimes. There are plenty of Bagley doubters in front offices across the league. 

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:
9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Why would a late FRP relate more to a top 10 pick than other late FRP or early SRP?  He's closer to Semi Ojeleye, Ante Zizic, Demetrius Jackson, RJ Hunter, Marcus Thornton, and James Young than Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, or Jayson Tatum. 

Wasnt talking about Smart, Brown, or Tatum. I was referencing Bradely, who went 19, and how Brad got the best out of him and he can't seem to replicate that success out there. My only point is that Stevens tends to get the most out of players. I think most people around the league agree that Stevens' coached teams have over-achieved every year. For this reason, and the culture of the current squad, I think Boston is the best place for Williams to get the most out of his talent. 

2 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Kellerman has no idea what he's talking about. And there are plenty more people out there than those who are in the media. Guys like Givony, KOC, and Schmitz are the best in the business and know what they're talking about. But even they get it wrong sometimes. There are plenty of Bagley doubters in front offices across the league. 

Yeah but you get that when it comes to the draft in all sports. Like in football, for the life of me I dont know how JJ Watt fell or Aaron Donald fell. I was watching "what if" show about the NBA Draft, the Trailblazers passed on Jordan and the Nets had a chance to get Kobe but didnt. So front offices make huge mistakes no matter which way you think. I just think during draft time people over analyze everything. I can partly understand because jobs are on the line and you dont want to get it wrong but also teams want to get that perfect prospect. There is no LeBron James in this draft class, just like in football there was no Peyton Manning.at QB. So again if Bagley was a bad pick, then who should the Kings have taken? Other than Bagley my guess is Doncic or trade down and take Porter Jr. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Yeah but you get that when it comes to the draft in all sports. Like in football, for the life of me I dont know how JJ Watt fell or Aaron Donald fell. I was watching "what if" show about the NBA Draft, the Trailblazers passed on Jordan and the Nets had a chance to get Kobe but didnt. So front offices make huge mistakes no matter which way you think. I just think during draft time people over analyze everything. I can partly understand because jobs are on the line and you dont want to get it wrong but also teams want to get that perfect prospect. There is no LeBron James in this draft class, just like in football there was no Peyton Manning.at QB. So again if Bagley was a bad pick, then who should the Kings have taken? Other than Bagley my guess is Doncic or trade down and take Porter Jr. 

Doncic and Bamba were 1 and 2 on my board.

7 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Doncic and Bamba were 1 and 2 on my board.

I could accepted Doncic but not Bamba. I am not saying Bamba isnt good but he is a perfect example of the draft process pushing someone up.Just like what happened with Ward in football. He was pushed up to the point where the Browns took him over Chubb. Even Mayfield being taken before Darnold or even Rosen. Now way Bamba shouldve been taken before Bagley, Jackson Jr. or Carter Jr. The only big man he was taken over was Carter Jr. and even then people questioned why did the Magic draft Bamba?

I could accepted Doncic but not Bamba. I am not saying Bamba isnt good but he is a perfect example of the draft process pushing someone up.Just like what happened with Ward in football. He was pushed up to the point where the Browns took him over Chubb. Even Mayfield being taken before Darnold or even Rosen. Now way Bamba shouldve been taken before Bagley, Jackson Jr. or Carter Jr. The only big man he was taken over was Carter Jr. and even then people questioned why did the Magic draft Bamba?

Bamba has been a top five pick for a long time. The idea that the draft process pushed him there isn't true.

Nobody I know is questioning the Magic's decision to take the best player left on the board.

1 hour ago, utley4568 said:

Doesn't pass well or play within the scheme of an offense. Can be a ball stopper. Defensively, takes chances on blocks and steals that he shouldn't. Often gets him caught out of position and missing rotations. Generally, that's what I mean when I say that.

He did just turn 19. It isn't out of the question that he matures.

2 hours ago, utley4568 said:

He may be fun, but those stats are empty. He doesn't defend, he doesn't pass well, he's an iso-ball four who provides a ton of energy and demands the ball. The kid was obsessed with going as high as possible and is obsessed with putting up huge numbers. I didn't have him in my top ten. He doesn't play winning basketball.

He doesn't play winning basketball? Duke was one game away from the Final 4 last year and he was by far their best player. 

Archived