2018 NBA Draft Thread

CWood21

25 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Bamba has been a top five pick for a long time. The idea that the draft process pushed him there isn't true.

Nobody I know is questioning the Magic's decision to take the best player left on the board.

Bamba's stock definitely rose in the pre-draft process because of his physical profile and workouts. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

Well thats interesting. Especially since pretty much everywhere Bagley was no lower than 4 at worst. Even Max Kellerman on First Take tried to dispute that he would take Carter Jr. and Jackson Jr. over Ayton. But he even said too he would also take Bagley over Ayton as well and thats the first time I have heard anyone say they would take Carter Jr. or Jackson Jr. over Ayron but he still had Bagley high. He totally thinks outside the box sometimes. All I am saying is consensus Bagley has always been up there and those who knows the game of basketball wouldnt have him up there if the thought was he doesnt effect a time in a positive way in regards to winning. 

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with your points but Kellerman is an idiot. This is the same dude who predicted Tom Brady was going to fall off a cliff this year only for him to turn around and win MVP lol. That dudes a joke

35 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I could accepted Doncic but not Bamba. I am not saying Bamba isnt good but he is a perfect example of the draft process pushing someone up.Just like what happened with Ward in football. He was pushed up to the point where the Browns took him over Chubb. Even Mayfield being taken before Darnold or even Rosen. Now way Bamba shouldve been taken before Bagley, Jackson Jr. or Carter Jr. The only big man he was taken over was Carter Jr. and even then people questioned why did the Magic draft Bamba?

In regards to Bamba, every draft grader I’ve seen has given us an A/A+ on the Bamba pick. Only the unrealistic and stupid Magic fans wanted to draft need instead of BPA and are questioning that pick

9 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with your points but Kellerman is an idiot. This is the same dude who predicted Tom Brady was going to fall off a cliff this year only for him to turn around and win MVP lol. That dudes a joke

Yeah that was classic of him lol. I do get what he is saying though because of the history in the NFL in terms of age at the QB position.

8 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

In regards to Bamba, every draft grader I’ve seen has given us an A/A+ on the Bamba pick. Only the unrealistic and stupid Magic fans wanted to draft need instead of BPA and are questioning that pick

Bamba has the talent, thats undeniable but the draft process definitely helped his cause. That is what Im saying.

Denver had the best draft imo. Loved MPJ gamble at 14, Jackson and Vanderbilt in round 2. Would have loved Toronto to buy or trade into round 2 to get one of those guys. 

Denver becoming Canada’s team if only SGA fell to 14. 

2 hours ago, YoungJefe said:

Bamba's stock definitely rose in the pre-draft process because of his physical profile and workouts. 

It really didn't. Look at pre-college basketball season mock drafts, Bamba has been right up there with everyone else since day one. It was never a secret that he had a near 8 ft wing span.

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Bamba has the talent, thats undeniable but the draft process definitely helped his cause. That is what Im saying.

i dont think his stock really moved at all since like October. pretty much since then he was projected in the 2-8 range. as draft neared he was pretty much at 3-7. 

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No doubt.  That's a great gamble to make, and the tweets about Dallas' FO hoping it conveys next year is insanely accurate especially if next year's draft is as weak as some are projecting it to be.  You're not usually going to get a prospect of Mo Bamba's caliber at 6.  They didn't take any long-term money that that limits their flexibility either.

Contending for a playoff spot is probably a stretch at this point.  They finished 13 games behind the Wolves for that 8th and final playoff spots.  That's going to be incredibly hard to make up.  I think they're targeting that 35 win total if we're talking about expectations.

I'd forgotten we tanked all the way to 24 wins, lol, and that the 8th seed had 47 wins- jeez that's actually *23* out. For some reason I was under the impression that those numbers were like, 29 and 45. That's what I get for not paying attention last year, which is what a team built around Harrison Barnes does to you.

With that said, I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that trading up for Doncic completely alters the outlook of the franchise. Our post-2011 team building approach has been mostly awful, and Cuban's flirtations with politics and so many other outside ventures had seemed to forebode/corroborate the possibility of a disinterested/bad owner. When we fell from 3rd to 5th in the lottery, I mean, you had to be devastated as a Mavs fan. Tanking so hard and so unapologetically, in the last year before the lottery reform, had seemed to fail.

Instead, it worked- we got the guy many consider the top prospect in the draft. He gets to learn under the best European player in league history, potentially form 2/3 of a future "Big 3" with DSJ (while also easing pressure off of Smith Jr. on and off the court), Carlisle (still a Top 5 coach, easily) gets real personnel to work with this year instead of D-leaguers getting signed and started immediately, Barnes and Matthews get to be the 3 and D guys they're supposed to be instead of being asked to initiate offense, we're obviously going after a big $ free agent big man of some sort... It just seems too good to be true. It is entirely antithetical to the generally-accepted metroplex-wide resignation to "Well, we're just gonna be really bad for a long time." Doncic changes that by himself, in a far reaching/domino effect sense, however long it takes them to get back to the playoffs/contention- it seems a heck of a lot shorter now.

Mostly, I'm happy for Dirk and Carlisle. Carlisle because I feel his players will be good enough now for him to re-illustrate that he's still every bit as sharp as he was when he schooled Phil Jackson and Erik Spoelstra 7 years ago. I think coaching and infrastructure go a long way towards winning NBA regular season games (hot take, I know)- this Mavs team is built to catch teams sleeping; they're professionals. Dirk, because I think one of the ripple effects of drafting Luka will be that it very meaningfully alters his legacy.

For years one of the underlying/ethical questions regarding the Mavs has been "What the heck is Dirk doing?" Basically, why is he staying with this team that caught lightning in a bottle and immediately proved they weren't able to build another title team around him- and why is he *taking less money than he could* to do it? They're valid points, and there's really only one answer- undying loyalty, which seemed tragically unrewarded. For the first time in forever, Dirk's loyalty has been rewarded- and that will only incentivize him to commit even harder. This year, he ties Kobe with 20 straight years with 1 franchise- but next year, he breaks that record and owns it himself (and plays through the age of 41, for shiggles). Do that, and come off the bench, play 15-20 minutes a night, which he could probably do till he's 45 if he wants? He becomes the embodiment of sacrificing for the team. He occupies a unique space within NBA history- how do you compare a player of such humility to all the more decorated and gifted stars who would never, ever, ever leave money on the table or come off the bench? You almost can't. And the best part? He'll enjoy doing it. Is watching Dennis and Luka throwing lobs to each other not more fun than watching Yogi Ferrell and JJ Barea have their layups blocked with remarkable ease? I would tend to think so.

Anyway thanks to anyone who read all this rambling- I know none of y'all have any reason to feel strong positive emotions over a celebrated draft pick made by a well-run team that basically never earns Top 5 picks, has a championship this decade, etc. etc. Just know that sentiment within the fandom about the short and long term trajectory of the Mavericks has undergone a drastic and palpable tonal shift essentially instantaneously, and I feel like that is and deserves to be the primary story/narrative of the 2018 draft.

Draft Winners

Phoenix Suns: Ayton (#1), Bridges (#10), Okobo (#31) 

The Suns went the safe route with the 1st pick and selected a player that should be a franchise cornerstone and their anchor down low for the next decade. Ayton reminds me a lot of DeMarcus Cousins coming out of Kentucky and I think that he will have a similar impact for the Suns. In addition to Ayton the Suns also acquired the best 3&D guy in the draft in Mikal Bridges who is the prototypical wing in today's NBA. Bridges will be a solid player from the jump and should see a lot burn early in his career because of his ability to guard 1-4 and the fact that the Suns went and got Bridges seems to imply their comfortable with Devin Booker as the primary ball handler. Lastly the team went out and got their PG of the future at #31 and in my opinion got a guy that has a chance to be the best lead guard from this years draft. 

Atlanta Hawks: Young (#5), Huerter (#19), Spellman (#30) 

The Hawks were clearly in love with Trae Young and got their guy while also adding a first round draft pick that could be a mid/late lottery pick in next years draft. I love Young's fit in Atlanta because they're fully engaged in rebuild mode and he'll have the opportunity to have the ball in his hands a lot early on in his career. Schlenk's Golden State roots were evident in the Hawks strategy as he doubled up on perimeter shooting in the first round with Huerter at #19. Huerter's build and playing style is reminiscent of a young Klay Thompson and combined with Trae Young he gives the Hawks a bootleg version of the Splash Bros. With their third and final pick they were able to add some more shooting in Omari Spellman a stretch four that really came on late in the season for Villanova's championship team. Spellman fits in well with what the team is trying to do and is another guy that should benefit from being able to play early and often during their rebuild. 

Dallas Mavericks: Doncic (#3), Brunson (#34), Spalding (#56) 

Mark Cuban got arguably the most talented player in the draft with the third pick and now has the franchise cornerstone to build around when Dirk finally decides to hang them up. I really like Doncic's game and think that he and Dennis Smith Jr will really compliment each other. Brunson has the potential to be one of the better backup point guards in the league and should be ready to play from day one. He also brings strong intangibles and a winner's pedigree as he won two national championships during his time at Villanova. The Mavericks wrapped up their busy draft night with another upperclassman in Ray Spalding. Spalding has the potential to be a solid defensive big particularly in pick-n-roll situations and should stick around a while as a decent glue guy. 

Archived