2018 NBA Draft Thread

CWood21

9 hours ago, matt79511 said:

You make that deal every time. I'll take Doncic over Trae Young + the 6th pick in '19 or '20 one hundred times out of one hundred (though tbf I'd also be pretty stoked had we gotten Bamba, he and Luka were my two favorite prospects this year by some distance).

If we get a legit center in FA, I think we actually have a chance to contend for the playoffs now, pending what other teams do in FA (i.e. if someone like POR or MIN or OKC or whoever decides to detonate). I would've never thought that before tonight, but Luka is such a good fit for Carlisle's system and I think will transition to the league rather well.

DSJ/Matthews/Doncic/Barnes/Capela, for instance, with Barea, Yogi, Dirk, Powell and co. off the bench, to me is quite interesting. That team could absolutely lose 4 games to the Warriors.

No doubt.  That's a great gamble to make, and the tweets about Dallas' FO hoping it conveys next year is insanely accurate especially if next year's draft is as weak as some are projecting it to be.  You're not usually going to get a prospect of Mo Bamba's caliber at 6.  They didn't take any long-term money that that limits their flexibility either.

Contending for a playoff spot is probably a stretch at this point.  They finished 13 games behind the Wolves for that 8th and final playoff spots.  That's going to be incredibly hard to make up.  I think they're targeting that 35 win total if we're talking about expectations.

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Hating on Ainge's draft was en vogue a couple seasons ago, but I don't think we can really go there. Trading down for Tatum. Brown at 3 was not a consensus pick. Rozier and Smart have been hits. It's been a solid to great last few seasons. 

You're expected to hit on your top 10 picks.  I don't know why they're getting credit for what they're supposed to be doing.  Either way, that's not what I was arguing.  I was arguing that their success in the latter half of the first round was average at best.  They've got a few hits and quite a few busts, which is right around where I anticipated them being.  And Jaylen Brown might not have been the consensus at 3, but he was the favorite.  I believe there were a few (myself included) that preferred Kris Dunn but for the most part Jaylen Brown was viewed as the 3rd best prospect in that draft.

46 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

WE GOT A LAKERS FAN EVERYBODY 

dude fell, sure. obviously he fell for a reason. but we all know what we've seen with our eyes which is one of the best bigs in college basketball and we know that he was considered at least a lottery pick last year.

Every year, we get players who fall in the draft and the teams who drafted them claim they got a steal and that they'll be good.  And year after year, they don't really amount to much.  Last year, we had Harry Giles.  In 2016, we had Deyonta Davis.  In 2015, Jarrell Martin was that guy.  All I'm saying is that people should temper their expectations.  Nothing more.

47 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Listen, you're a Duke fan, we get it. I can assure you I've seen more of Bagley than you can even imagine. I'm okay with people having differing opinions on prospects. But to suggest people don't know anything about a basketball because of that is laughable.

Bagley is such a black hole on offense and he's a lazy defender. That's why I dont like him. 

6 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Bagley is such a black hole on offense and he's a lazy defender. That's why I dont like him. 

Looks like you don't know anything about basketball either homie.

53 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You're expected to hit on your top 10 picks.  I don't know why they're getting credit for what they're supposed to be doing.  Either way, that's not what I was arguing.  I was arguing that their success in the latter half of the first round was average at best.  They've got a few hits and quite a few busts, which is right around where I anticipated them being.  And Jaylen Brown might not have been the consensus at 3, but he was the favorite.  I believe there were a few (myself included) that preferred Kris Dunn but for the most part Jaylen Brown was viewed as the 3rd best prospect in that draft.

You may be expected to hit, but you know that the success rate is still not super high. Front offices still deserve credit for getting picks in the top ten right, unless it’s a decision like Ben Simmons at one or Brandon Ingram at two. 

Some people had Brown at three but that was a two player top tier and then a drop. There was a realistic possibility of Brown being there for the nuggets at seven. I remember being surprised that they took Jaylen. 

And I don’t call later first round picks busts. That’s ridiculous. If you get a contributor out of the later half of the first that’s a win if not a surprise. I can’t belueve I’m defending the Celtics smh 

1 hour ago, YogiBiz said:

It's not just the injury though. The injury happened because of his posture while playing. He's always too upright in every facet. When he dribbles on the perimeter, when he goes up for rebounds, when he plays defense, when he goes up for drives. You name it, and he's too upright. This is the scariest thing about his injury. It came to be cause of how he has always played and got him to be a lottery pick. So this heightens his risk for re-injury much higher than it would be for a shorter player who plays up right, or a taller player who plays closer to the ground. Just to re-clarify, this isn't some freak injury, this is something that he created through his own style of play and will be a problem as long as he still plays the way he does. I just don't have a huge sample size of players that needed to change such a large aspect of their game to stay healthy. 

That’s a really good point. I hadn’t thought about that and I felt like he was way too uptight when I was watching highlights. Gotta rework that. 

22 minutes ago, champ11 said:

That’s a really good point. I hadn’t thought about that and I felt like he was way too uptight when I was watching highlights. Gotta rework that. 

All that being said most if not all his weakness (injury, defensive ability, and ball handling including) can be corrected by correcting his posture. Again though that is a real hard thing to fix in a player that has played like that to resounding success throughout his entire career. I am very skeptical about MPJ, but I can easily see a future where he turns into a superstar and 12 teams regret not selecting him. 

EDIT: My overall thoughts on the pick, however, that the Nuggets were the perfect place for him. With all the young talent already on their roster and the fact they're picking at the end of the lottery, missing on this pick doesn't set you back as much as it would have the Knicks or Kings or Mavs or Suns if they had picked him and if he had busted. And if he returns to form, the Nuggets will be a few seasons/minor role players away from truly competing. 

15 minutes ago, champ11 said:

You may be expected to hit, but you know that the success rate is still not super high. Front offices still deserve credit for getting picks in the top ten right, unless it’s a decision like Ben Simmons at one or Brandon Ingram at two. 

Some people had Brown at three but that was a two player top tier and then a drop. There was a realistic possibility of Brown being there for the nuggets at seven. I remember being surprised that they took Jaylen. 

And I don’t call later first round picks busts. That’s ridiculous. If you get a contributor out of the later half of the first that’s a win if not a surprise. I can’t belueve I’m defending the Celtics smh 

So...they're expected to miss and you're going to give credit because they hit with a pick you have a higher success rate?  As we've both mentioned, the success rate goes down as you move down the draft.  Teams who can consistently find talent later in the draft are going to get more credit to their FO for evaluating talent moreso than a team whose hitting with consistent top 10 picks.  I'm not saying they shouldn't get credit for them, but the argument that you can justify the Celtics' evaluation process because of picks made in the top 10, while ignoring that their success in the latter half of the first round is mind boggling.  It's even more head scratching that you're willing to give Robert Williams the benefit of the doubt, and have no way to compare him to say Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, or Marcus Smart, all of whom were exponentially better prospects.

No.  Jaylen Brown was largely viewed as a top 5 prospect.  Some thought he might have fallen to 7 or so, based on preferences.  But the majority of the evaluations had him firmly in the top 5 prospects of the draft, most of which were third.  There were questions about his jump shot, which was why he wasn't viewed in a higher light.  Teams who thought that the jump shot wasn't going to be an issue was going to have him closer to 3, where as teams thought it was broken was going to have him closer to 7.

1 hour ago, utley4568 said:

Listen, you're a Duke fan, we get it. I can assure you I've seen more of Bagley than you can even imagine. I'm okay with people having differing opinions on prospects. But to suggest people don't know anything about a basketball because of that is laughable.

I am ok with people having different opinions as well. Some things arent debatable though. I just dont see what the hate is on Bagley. Like some people are actually saying the Kings had a bad draft because they took Bagley over who? The last thing I want to the Kings to do is get too cute. We can debate if Jackson Jr., Carter Jr., or Bamba will be better long term than Bagley. Again I dont think the Kings taking Bagley is bad because he wont bust. He is a cant miss prospect and regardless of how anyone feels about him, the Kings didnt get this pick wrong because years from now they wont regret it. Bagley is a 20/10 guy and the Kings wont have to worry about his work ethic. Having him paired with Fox is going to be fun. 

Archived