2018 NBA Draft Thread

CWood21

Just now, champ11 said:

I was thinking that too lmao. I have a sickness. I have been looking at damn screens for like 4 days straight bc of the  draft. Bob Williams to Celtics is really nice btw. 

i have never liked a celtics pick more in my entire life on draft night. 

yeah, i look at picks in the mid 2nd round and tell coworkers how great of a pick it could be and then they're in europe in 1.5 years 

Just now, Troy Brown said:

he wasn't even projected in the first, was he 

Many people thought he'd be in the 25-35 range. He's shown that provided he can go with a high motor he's a great player. It was showing more and more towards the end of the year at Villanova. Needs to work on his post game some yeah, but he's got the size to do so for sure.

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

The hate on Bagley just shows that some doesnt really know basketball. The dude dominated the best conference in basketball in a year where he was supposed to be a senior in high school. He was drafted 2nd overall and this time he was supposed to be getting ready for his freshman year of college. Like the dude is scary good right now and he actually can/will get better. Bagley and Fox are great building blocks for the Kings. I dont mind management calling the Kings a "super team" just young right now. Nobody thought Steph, Klay, Green, and Barnes would win 73 games a season and was one Draymond suspension away from being back to back champs. People wouldve thought the Warriors management would be crazy to say that earlier in those players careers. Especially knowing that people had questions about Steph's ankle always giving him problems at that time. So the Kings have Bagley, Fox, Hield, Jackson, Giles, Labissiere, Bogdanovic, Mason, and WCS. If Giles can be half the player most thought he would be coming out of high school then he will be a good player. Like thats a nice roster to build especially if Bagley and Fox can develop into stars like I believe they will. The only thing I didnt like was the Kings trading away Trent Jr. I wouldve loved to have him with the Kings. He can shoot the ball, especially from 3pt. 

Lolololol. Okay.

3 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Porter to the Nuggets at 14 will be a win for them. His injury was a factor obviously but the guy had top 3 talent from this draft and he should be fine. 

Young kid with a surgically repaired back. Back injuries at a young age are a red flag. Those tend to be a lingering career type thing

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Young kid with a surgically repaired back. Back injuries at a young age are a red flag. Those tend to be a lingering career type thing

His surgery is actually not super uncommon for NBA players. But it is a risk for re-injury for sure. And the surgery was very non-invasive, but yeah definitely a high risk. Nuggets were in a place to make it, so we'll see. 

15 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Are you serious how many great players go to the end of the first round on the second round. This is not an exact science. He fits Boston perfectly for what they need. I just never thought he would have slipped that far. But good players get drafted late all the time

Compared to how many players flame out?  I mean, I get believing in your franchise but the draft is LITTERED with players drafted in that late 1st, early 2nd round range who are out of the league in 3 years.  I'm not saying he can't be a good player, but there's a reason why he fell in the draft.  I just think a bit tempered expectations should be had here.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

What are they saying/upset about?  I saw the Miles Bridges pick as either the Wizards didn't want to pay Oubre coming up or they were looking at possibly trying to move Porter for a more established big, maybe try for a S&T for Cousins for Porter, maybe some other trade for a big?

It's just the team as a whole. Very frustrated that they're just going to continue to be mediocre at best and continue to have Ernie Grunfeld lead it. 

I don't think Brown is an immediate contributor either. That seems to be the consensus. So, the pick was for the future? Okay I guess. 

14 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

And Boston has the right situation to give him the best chance to shake those concerns. Its a solid move that late in the draft. He could flame out, he could become a good defensive presence off the bench, or he could boom. Sounds like the perfect pick at 27

What makes Boston any better than say the LA Clippers or Toronto?  I mean, Boston has been good at drafting lately, but we're also talking about guys they spent top 10 picks.  Guys drafted in the second half of the first round over the last decade include Ante Zizic, RJ Hunter, James Young, Lucas Nogueira, Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo, Mar'Shon Brooks, Avery Bradley, and JR Giddens.  Of those, you would probably argue that Avery Bradley and Jared Sullinger are the most successful of the bunch.  Those are a couple of good players, but nothing great.  It's a good gamble to make given how talented he is, but pretending like Boston is going to quell those concerns seem optimistic at best at this case.

15 hours ago, The LBC said:

Really gonna be a question of whether it was the character or the knee.  And I could see either being the case.

Honestly, probably a combination of both.  Medicals were clearly a reoccurring factor in this year's draft, and big guys with real motor concerns are always going to be an issue.

Archived